Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Durin

Battleships and Fire.

23 comments in this topic

17 posts
1,527 battles

Hi everyone, I would like to ask why my Tirpitz and all other battleships are so prone to catching fire to all classes of other ships, There is no way a destroyer in the real world would be able to cause a ship with the armour of the Tirpitz to catch fire. Considering how many times Churchill threw everything the british had it and the amount of effort it took to actually damage the ship I cant see why it would be justified that a little twig like a destroyer could even scratch its armour with their little guns, I can understand torpedos being highly damaging to a battleship as part of balance, but either the chance of catching fire from the impact of a HE shell needs to be lowered or the fire caused by smaller guns needs to be less damaging, or easier to put out or half fire duration. Also give the Tirpitz the use of its second fighter catapult, I Paid premium money for the ship, I want it to be as good as it was in WW2, what Winston Churchill called "The Beast" it wouldn't have got that name by being sunk or be engulfed in flames by little 5" guns.

​Regards Durin.

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,938 battles

yes I know what you are talking about and I hear you.

I agree with you as well,  But ya do need to remember its a game and not based on real life events etc its not s simulator.

Fire is way to much on battleships.

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Hi everyone, I would like to ask why my Tirpitz and all other battleships are so prone to catching fire to all classes of other ships, There is no way a destroyer in the real world would be able to cause a ship with the armour of the Tirpitz to catch fire. Considering how many times Churchill threw everything the british had it and the amount of effort it took to actually damage the ship I cant see why it would be justified that a little twig like a destroyer could even scratch its armour with their little guns, I can understand torpedos being highly damaging to a battleship as part of balance, but either the chance of catching fire from the impact of a HE shell needs to be lowered or the fire caused by smaller guns needs to be less damaging, or easier to put out or half fire duration. Also give the Tirpitz the use of its second fighter catapult, I Paid premium money for the ship, I want it to be as good as it was in WW2, what Winston Churchill called "The Beast" it wouldn't have got that name by being sunk or be engulfed in flames by little 5" guns.

​Regards Durin.

Ok, let's do Fire Prevention 101:

1. Install Damage Control System Modification 1 (Cost: 250k, -5% risk of fire)
  2. Train your captain with Fire Prevention (Skill tier 2, -7% risk of fire)
  3. Never use your Damage Control Party consumable too early for a single fire
  4. Lastly & most effective way to prevent fire is.... DESTROY & BURN HIM BACK. :izmena:

Anyway based on my experience, it takes 1 out of 25 or maybe 30 HE shells for a Destroyer to set anyone on fire and it's RNG basis. I believe you should be able to fight against a fragile destroyer with your Battleship's HE if he keeps raining HE shells on you.

So for now & while you wait for your suggestion to be considered and implemented (inb4 Never™), it is much better to practice on how to counter enemy destroyer with your battleship instead of waving "I paid money for this ship and it deserves to be better against all" excuse. Because other players have same complaint as you with regards their Battleship gameplay.

Edited by Mingfang47

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,806 battles

bfkyhg.jpg

Light red: damage taken by AP shells

Orange: damage taken by HE shells

Light green: damage taken by CV dive bombs 

Turquoise: damage taken by DD torps

Lilac: damage taken by CV torps

Dark red: damage taken by (HE) fire

Dark green: damage taken by (DD torp) flooding

Other Colors: damage taken by CV dive bomb fire, CV torp flooding, ramming, teamdamage

So no. I dont see why Fires are ruining BBs lives.

AP is doing too much damage to BBs. Especially in mid to high tiers. Therefore AP needs to be nerfed.

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,806 battles

didnt you guys noticed that when a battleship is burning . it burns a lot of hp?

this is extremely annoying that quarter of your full hp went away because of this burning

17.7% - 12.4% is not 25%.

[BLUMR]
1,134 posts
1,377 battles

didnt you guys noticed that when a battleship is burning . it burns a lot of hp?

this is extremely annoying that quarter of your full hp went away because of this burning

Didn't you notice that BBs have a consumable that can heal pretty much all that damage back?

To OP:

View PostDurin, on 02 April 2016 - 06:13 PM, said:

, I Paid premium money for the ship, I want it to be as good as it was in WW2, 

So you waned a ship that stayed in the Fjords for the most of the war being bombed by the RAF? :teethhappy:

Joking aside, yes fire are annoying but you're gonna have to accept the fact that you will be taking damage from fires(and everything else for that matter) since this is a arcade game not a simulation and fires are there to help balance out classes. 

Some ways to mitigate fire damage include:

1.  Premium Damage Repair/ Damage Control Consumable. If you have the credits to spare (If you didn't know you can buy these for 22.5k a pop or somewhere close to that amount) the cooldown reduction is a life safer.
  2.  As Mingfang said, save your Damage Control party for when there are at least 2 or more fires on your ship and use that time to get out of range or take out the DD/CA if the opportunity presents itself.
  3. Don't be afraid either slow down and let another ship take the charge or fallback so that you can safely use your Damage Repair consumable to heal up the damage done by the fires.
  4. If you're that paranoid about fires then use the various Captain Skills and modules to reduce the chance of fires.
Edited by Chawp

29 posts
5,271 battles

I love hearing BB captains complain about fire.........WTF

Try dealing with it in a DD, then come crying. At least BB's have HP to burn  :)

Beta Tester
358 posts
7,415 battles

​Regards Durin.

Germany didn't have any fighter floatplanes during WW2, Wargaming created a fictional plane to compensate Tirpitz' terrible AA compliment. I'd suggest you consider not trying to rely on Tirpitz' AA and if you're getting burned down to the water line then you're either going too far ahead of your team and getting focused early on or you're going off by yourself and being picked off in which case either way you are going to be a burden to your team.

17 posts
1,527 battles

First of all for the people who may not understand what I'm referring to when I made this post, let me make myself clear, Its not the DPS that's the problem, its the fact you have just used a repair to stop 2-3 patches of fire on your ship, your cool down just ends and you can get hit by a single destroyer shell and be lit up again, the resulting damage can be massive, the chance of them lighting a battleship with such heavy armour with such small guns is simply to high, I think it would be possible to add a controlling factor into the games armour system, the system could be implemented into all ships, not just battleships, resulting in an increased difficulty to inflict damage on ships, all depending on the armour thickness and size of the guns attacking them, it would require more controlled gameplay from people, there would be greater importance to stick to the ships actual role, who doesn't want more realism and better gameplay?

Edited by Durin

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Isn't that fascinating seeing these people talk about one of the oldest topic in this forum

back to the topic

Fire on BB surprisingly based on percentage of her HP, can take away a chunk of health if not put it off immediately after it gets big (2 or more sources of fire)

but it is not the problem

This is!

the fact that after you use damage control, Enemy keep firing HE at your Ship without mercy

it is a basic strategy for them to wait BB to use DamCom

You see Burning enemy BB suddenly extinguish the big fire? FIRE AT WILL! (along with enemy torpedoes coming after you)

17 posts
1,527 battles

Isn't that fascinating seeing these people talk about one of the oldest topic in this forum

back to the topic

Fire on BB surprisingly based on percentage of her HP, can take away a chunk of health if not put it off immediately after it gets big (2 or more sources of fire)

but it is not the problem

This is!

the fact that after you use damage control, Enemy keep firing HE at your Ship without mercy

it is a basic strategy for them to wait BB to use DamCom

You see Burning enemy BB suddenly extinguish the big fire? FIRE AT WILL! (along with enemy torpedoes coming after you)

​A more detailed system with gun size vs armour thickness, would fix this problem.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

​A more detailed system with gun size vs armour thickness, would fix this problem.

No, then Russian and American DD have another problem

So does Atlanta that use DD guns

Beta Tester
358 posts
7,415 battles

First of all for the people who may not understand what I'm referring to when I made this post, let me make myself clear, Its not the DPS that's the problem, its the fact you have just used a repair to stop 2-3 patches of fire on your ship, your cool down just ends and you can get hit by a single destroyer shell and be lit up again, the resulting damage can be massive, the chance of them lighting a battleship with such heavy armour with such small guns is simply to high, I think it would be possible to add a controlling factor into the games armour system, the system could be implemented into all ships, not just battleships, resulting in an increased difficulty to inflict damage on ships, all depending on the armour thickness and size of the guns attacking them, it would require more controlled gameplay from people, there would be greater importance to stick to the ships actual role, who doesn't want more realism and better gameplay?

Or you could get better, you can't go into an arcade game which has the damage scaled back on some ship classes and magnified on other classes so as to ensure that the game has some balance between the separate classes. If it was the way you want it the ONLY class that any body would play would be battleships. So try changing the way you play to preserve your HP and remain in the game instead of wanting WG to change the way battleships in the game take damage, they won't change it for your sake.

17 posts
1,527 battles

Or you could get better, you can't go into an arcade game which has the damage scaled back on some ship classes and magnified on other classes so as to ensure that the game has some balance between the separate classes. If it was the way you want it the ONLY class that any body would play would be battleships. So try changing the way you play to preserve your HP and remain in the game instead of wanting WG to change the way battleships in the game take damage, they won't change it for your sake.

Just so you're aware I play every other class of ship but Carrier, I also understand that my game skills are not perfect but then again no ones games skills are, you say you can minimize damage by playing defensive, that's basically what the majority of battleship players will do, sit back and slug away from a distance, but sooner or later the enemy will eventually catch up with you and you will get hit, I have no problem with getting hit by a HE shell from a Heavy Cruiser or another Battleship and getting lit on fire. The fact is destroyers guns have a fast reload rate, their guns don't do the penetration damage or the large amount of instant damage like larger guns do, but they do however seem to have a just has high chance of lighting you on fire as every other ship, you mix these high chance of fire with a fast fire rate, it means your ship no matter what the size takes huge amount of damage from fire, as soon as you hit damage control , they score another hit and you're on fire again and you lose around 15% of your HP, I understand the games balance is extremely important, but a few little fine tuning patches could be beneficial, they could always be reverted if they were game breaking, which would be unlikely to say the least, especially if they buff the destroyer to compensate for the damage lost because of ineffective HE spam.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Lets not bring realism into this. If it was any way realistic, battleships (or any ship for that matter) would be permanently burning all the time from hits. Superstructures are *very* flammable thanks to all the paint and AA ammunition and all other manners of combustible things lying about.

As Deathskyz has posted, fire damage is nowhere near the problem people are making it out to be. Just be smart with your repair team and damage control use. Destroyer guns already have the smallest fire chance of all shells. 

Beta Tester
358 posts
7,415 battles

Just so you're aware I play every other class of ship but Carrier, I also understand that my game skills are not perfect but then again no ones games skills are, you say you can minimize damage by playing defensive, that's basically what the majority of battleship players will do, sit back and slug away from a distance, but sooner or later the enemy will eventually catch up with you and you will get hit, I have no problem with getting hit by a HE shell from a Heavy Cruiser or another Battleship and getting lit on fire. The fact is destroyers guns have a fast reload rate, their guns don't do the penetration damage or the large amount of instant damage like larger guns do, but they do however seem to have a just has high chance of lighting you on fire as every other ship, you mix these high chance of fire with a fast fire rate, it means your ship no matter what the size takes huge amount of damage from fire, as soon as you hit damage control , they score another hit and you're on fire again and you lose around 15% of your HP, I understand the games balance is extremely important, but a few little fine tuning patches could be beneficial, they could always be reverted if they were game breaking, which would be unlikely to say the least, especially if they buff the destroyer to compensate for the damage lost because of ineffective HE spam.

I didn't say play defensive I said that you may be going too far ahead of your team and getting focused by the enemy team which explains why you are suggesting a change to the fire damage taken by battleships and I certainly didn't say that you should try to snipe at the extreme range of your guns. I know it's not always easy  maintaining a certain range from the opposing team without exposing yourself to undue attention (don't get too close) but that's what you have to try to do at least until such time as the opposing teams resistance has been eroded to the point at which they can no longer resist in any meaningful way.

17 posts
1,527 battles

Lets not bring realism into this. If it was any way realistic, battleships (or any ship for that matter) would be permanently burning all the time from hits. Superstructures are *very* flammable thanks to all the paint and AA ammunition and all other manners of combustible things lying about.

As Deathskyz has posted, fire damage is nowhere near the problem people are making it out to be. Just be smart with your repair team and damage control use. Destroyer guns already have the smallest fire chance of all shells. 

Hmm, you have a fair point there with all the superstructures being prone to catch fire, but that was what fire retardant and fire control was for. Last night for instance was playing a random battle, I was the only BB left on my team with about 8600HP left, was up against a Mikhail, smashed his citadels in to the point he had 110HP (Ripped off with damage I know) My guns were reloading with about 4 seconds left, my secondaries were out of range, he landed one shell which alone didn't cause any damage because of where it hit me but caused me to catch fire, this literally happened 1 second after my repair team duration had finished (had to use it because there was 3 stacks of fire on me)  there was still green on the repair icon with about 2 seconds left when I seen the shells he fired in the air coming at me, damage control ran out before he hit me, My fellow cruiser friend killed the Mikhail but because i got hit by a single shell I still died from fire, the scores were about even before my ship melted away causing my team to lose after I died, I know it just sounds like bad luck but this happens quite a lot, I have fire prevention captain skill and the module to reduce chance of flooding and fire but still my ship dies from fire virtually every game. I think people underestimate the accumulative damage that fire does to any ship, that one shell caused has much damage as an AP shell penetrating an engine bay but not actually scoring a hit to Citadel, Because of how accurate and how skilled the players are at my tiers they rarely miss, results in continuous fire and insufficient methods to prevent and repair it or even stop it, I can justify getting lit up by concentrated fire from 2-3 cruisers, but its always that one unfortunate hit that results in such high damage, regardless of the size of guns firing against me, Am i supposed to fear cruisers in my Premium Tirpitz? Pretty sure it was designed to beat everything in the Atlantic, Accept anything with wings and tallboy bombs of course :) Any help would be appreciated...

Beta Tester
605 posts
6,771 battles

The two most common complaints from captains in this game seem to be fire damage and torpedo damage, and those complaints are overwhelmingly made by battleship captains.  I think the main issue here is not that fire/HE damage and torpedoes are OP (they aren't), but that many battleship captains are averse to taking damage.

If you look at cruisers and destroyers, when they are in range to be able to fire their guns, they are inside the range of their biggest counters, and will be taking damage.  This means they understand that you sometimes have to put yourself in positions where you trade health for damaging the enemy team.  Battleships on the other hand, have the option of firing and doing some damage from ranges where they are unlikely to take much damage.  Given this option of not taking much damage, many captains take that option despite it being a poor one for their team and their chances of winning the match.  So when these captains inevitably get in range of enemy cruisers and destroyers late in the game, they will actually take fire/HE damage and this of course just isn't acceptable.

It's important to understand that battleships are given the biggest health pools in the game and multiple repairs (that repair 100% of taken fire damage) so they can absorb damage for their team.  You want the enemy damaging you because you can absorb it much more effectively than the cruisers and destroyers on your team.  If you finish the game with lots of health while your more fragile teammates are all dead, then you are not doing your job.  The idea is that while taking damage for your team, you are also dishing out massive damage with your big guns (battleships statistically do the most damage of all ships).  Do this well and many of the other team will die before you do - do it badly and you will die early without doing much damage.

In short, one of the battleships main roles is to take damage, so stop complaining about taking damage!

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles

sigh, not this again...

1. BBs have the biggest health pool of any ships and repair party, you are SUPPOSED to get damaged and be the damage sponge for your team

2. BBs can more or less one shot any other ship in this game if you pray to RNGesus often enough, remember to look at the little yellow rectangles with the word “citadel" on them, each one represents the salty tears of poor CA captains who got 10k HP blown off. remeber that ever you get a fire set on you, his tears are just as salty

3. unless a CA is brave enough to get into effective AP range, HE rain is pretty much the only way they can deal damage to a BB

4. this is not a simulator, and WG has to balance the ship classes, unless you can come up with a better solution to how CAs can counter BBs, fires are here to stay

Edited by drakon233

17 posts
1,527 battles

sigh, not this again...

1. BBs have the biggest health pool of any ships and repair party, you are SUPPOSED to get damaged and be the damage sponge for your team

2. BBs can more or less one shot any other ship in this game if you pray to RNGesus often enough, remember to look at the little yellow rectangles with the word “citadel" on them, each one represents the salty tears of poor CA captains who got 10k HP blown off. remeber that ever you get a fire set on you, his tears are just as salty

3. unless a CA is brave enough to get into effective AP range, HE rain is pretty much the only way they can deal damage to a BB

4. this is not a simulator, and WG has to balance the ship classes, unless you can come up with a better solution to how CAs can counter BBs, fires are here to stay

https://www.twitch.tv/hismudo

Sign in to follow this