Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ryzil

Focusing your BB's / CA's Fighter Plane on a Target (Discussion)

27 comments in this topic

216 posts
2,239 battles

So I already created this topic in the Suggestion thread, but now I would like to see what the Discussion thread thinks about this idea.

So one night I was playing in my Tirpitz sailing the high seas when out of the blue I saw a USS DB and a TB squadron making a bee line for me. I already had my BB's fighter in the air waiting for enemy planes to get closer, and as the two enemy squadrons got closer (around 7km) I went ahead and CTRL click the TB since I view them as more of a threat. Here's where my problem comes in, even though I chose to focus on the TD sq with AA, my fighter plane determined that he would go for the DB sq since they were closer to him (by like 100-200m) as he flew his patrol, and since none of the enemy TB were shot down on their approach I ended up eating 4 torps from that fly by, mean while my fighter shot down 3 DB before they could even reach my ship (wishing that he would have done this to the TBs instead).

Now since my short story is over I'll get to the summery. I'm suggesting that WG should give BB's and CA's that have fighter planes the ability select an enemy sq and focus on it in a similar fashion like the ships AA's do. If I CTRL click a enemy plane sq then my fighter (if in the air) should also focus that squadron as well.

[This part is not necessary for the main suggestion to work, just an idea]

So we can't just allow this as a default function for BB's and CA's right away, there should be a way to earn this ability to use in game. I propose that if you want to be able to tell your fighter to focus then you will need to research a commander skill (maybe a tier 3 or 4 skill). This will force players to pick and choose this skill against other skills. Also I would like to point out that your fighter will still only be bound to patrol within his normal fight radius and you will not have any control on his fight pattern, he will circle over head like normal.

Now this is something I would like to see implemented, it makes sense that your ship should be able to communicate with the pilot and tell him which enemy sq. to focus (it's not like he doesn't have a radio up there). Let me know what the rest of you think about this.

Edited by Ryzil

Super Tester
2,725 posts

True. I think the logic there is similar to the fighter. Wherein when fighter got engaged by enemy fighter then your fighter automatically fights back until target's destroyed or until death, (not sure if similar to seaplane fighter) seaplane fighter got engaged by bomber's rear gunner then seaplane fighter fights back.

575 posts
5,354 battles

Don't think I will invest points for this Captain skill:hiding:

One should not have to. This should be an automatic target when a plane is up and incoming planes selected. This is a great suggestion by Ryzil.

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

SCout planes are illogical jokes anyway. How could a mere seaplane stall a squadron of fighters or bombers? By the grace of RNG, it can stall a squadron of 7 MIdway fighters for more than  20 seconds but get instantly destroyed by a reargunner of some low tier bomber plane.

IDk to you, but i think this is already implemented. My scouts are following my orders and switches one squadron to another based on my designation until they get destroyed. It also depends on their position. If the scout plane is too far it would prefer the closer one, rather than trying to reach an unreachable target and ended up doing nothing. You as a captain must force the bombers to do their run towards your scout fighter too

Edited by Deicide

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

It bad that we can't order anything with catapult plane ... only thing you can do is when to send them up and some time i want to spotting DD, the plane totally go on opposite direction and i have to wait them circle around to my front and by that time torp come fron the side and i get hit instead of being DD hunter  = =

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

*Off-topic*

Not to mention Radar that can penetrate and spotting ships behind an island :D:D:D

Just pure joke. This puts modern radar to shame. WE should put these xray radars on our modern ships and chaffs and low observable designs would be useless. Radar had potential if they did it right, but it ended up a farce like strafe.

Soon enough we'll get  flying battleships, laser guns, orbital strikes, giant squids, gun strapping surfboarding "shipgirls" but hey, "it's an arcade game", and no more trace of the once glorious WW2 game that showed a lot of potential.

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Just pure joke. This puts modern radar to shame. WE should put these xray radars on our modern ships and chaffs and low observable designs would be useless. Radar had potential if they did it right, but it ended up a farce like strafe.

Soon enough we'll get  flying battleships, laser guns, orbital strikes, giant squids, gun strapping surfboarding "shipgirls" but hey, "it's an arcade game", and no more trace of the once glorious WW2 game that showed a lot of potential.

I actually like the idea of "Giant squids" i hope they implement it as some sort event that we need to co-op and kill da monster :D:D:D

892 posts
7,853 battles

Not to mention Radar that can penetrate and spotting ships behind an island :D:D:D

Should call it "X-dar" for ability to penetrate and spot ships behind an island:teethhappy:

Edited by Xirvis

Beta Tester
682 posts
4,757 battles

I actually like the idea of "Giant squids" i hope they implement it as some sort event that we need to co-op and kill da monster :D:D:D

and trained dolphins on US side ... 
Edited by WindCruiser

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,938 battles

So I already created this topic in the Suggestion thread, but now I would like to see what the Discussion thread thinks about this idea.

So one night I was playing in my Tirpitz sailing the high seas when out of the blue I saw a USS DB and a TB squadron making a bee line for me. I already had my BB's fighter in the air waiting for enemy planes to get closer, and as the two enemy squadrons got closer (around 7km) I went ahead and CTRL click the TB since I view them as more of a threat. Here's where my problem comes in, even though I chose to focus on the TD sq with AA, my fighter plane determined that he would go for the DB sq since they were closer to him (by like 100-200m) as he flew his patrol, and since none of the enemy TB were shot down on their approach I ended up eating 4 torps from that fly by, mean while my fighter shot down 3 DB before they could even reach my ship (wishing that he would have done this to the TBs instead).

Now since my short story is over I'll get to the summery. I'm suggesting that WG should give BB's and CA's that have fighter planes the ability select an enemy sq and focus on it in a similar fashion like the ships AA's do. If I CTRL click a enemy plane sq then my fighter (if in the air) should also focus that squadron as well.

So we can't just allow this as a default function for BB's and CA's right away, there should be a way to earn this ability to use in game. I propose that if you want to be able to tell your fighter to focus then you will need to research a commander skill (maybe a tier 3 or 4 skill). This will force players to pick and choose this skill against other skills. Also I would like to point out that your fighter will still only be bound to patrol within his normal fight radius and you will not have any control on his fight pattern, he will circle over head like normal.

Now this is something I would like to see implemented, it makes sense that your ship should be able to communicate with the pilot and tell him which enemy sq. to focus (it's not like he doesn't have a radio up there). Let me know what the rest of you think about this.

I did think the same thing the other day as well......But I couldn't figure out how to RANT about it so I gave up meh.

216 posts
2,239 battles

Glad to see everyone likes the idea, hopefully it will catch the eyes of the right people and get routed up to the Devs (not likely but I can hope).

Don't think I will invest points for this Captain skill

One should not have to. This should be an automatic target when a plane is up and incoming planes selected. This is a great suggestion by Ryzil.

Yea, I only suggested that it should be activated by a captain skill was in case people thought that having this ability on all ships with fighters might give them to much of an initial AA defense, and that if they wanted it they would have to weigh it's pros with other skills (this way not all ships with fighters might have this ability). If this was the only part that wasn't accepted well then I'm fine with it.

I might come back with a scout plane suggestion post, but I doubt there would be anything I could say that hasn't already been stated (like manual control, ect, ect).

Super Tester
2,314 posts
7,096 battles

Sound idea (ironically coming from a CV player)

Though I like to think that your catapult fighter pilot is a disgruntled one. Getting posted onto that craphole called a BB or CA and not glorious CV. That's why he does his own thing and not follow your orders

Super Tester
1,296 posts
9,726 battles

+1 for this suggestion. However, in order for this skill (tier 4 as u suggested) to be considered attractive to players, they should add an additional effect like +40% catapult fighter survivalbility (or higher) ; +1-2min flight duration (but decreases number of aircraft by 1-2 for balancing issue?); increases efficiency of catapult fighter guns. Appreciate the suggestion though :honoring:

575 posts
5,354 battles

Glad to see everyone likes the idea, hopefully it will catch the eyes of the right people and get routed up to the Devs (not likely but I can hope).

Yea, I only suggested that it should be activated by a captain skill was in case people thought that having this ability on all ships with fighters might give them to much of an initial AA defense, and that if they wanted it they would have to weigh it's pros with other skills (this way not all ships with fighters might have this ability). If this was the only part that wasn't accepted well then I'm fine with it.

I might come back with a scout plane suggestion post, but I doubt there would be anything I could say that hasn't already been stated (like manual control, ect, ect).

I could see it being tied in with the AA defensive cooldown for CAs; however, for BBs, tied into manual target selection. Or maybe both could have it through AFT?

216 posts
2,239 battles

+1 for this suggestion. However, in order for this skill (tier 4 as u suggested) to be considered attractive to players, they should add an additional effect like +40% catapult fighter survivalbility (or higher) ; +1-2min flight duration (but decreases number of aircraft by 1-2 for balancing issue?); increases efficiency of catapult fighter guns. Appreciate the suggestion though 

I could see it being tied in with the AA defensive cooldown for CAs; however, for BBs, tied into manual target selection. Or maybe both could have it through AFT?

Good ideas, Once again, it doesn't bother me if people don't like the captain skill part (the skill part doesn't have to be implemented for the main suggestion to work), or if someone has a better idea to implement it into the skill tree.

451 posts
6,946 battles

"Heavy scout armament"

Tier 4 capt skill

Grants bonuses to catapult-launched aircraft

+30% to survivability and damage

-10% to flying speed

+instantly engages locked on aircraft within range

Sign in to follow this