Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Commander_Dusty

New Orleans Tips?

5 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

Hey Guys

Ever since I sold my cardboard Pensacola, which despite its bad armour had some rather punchy 8" guns, the New Orleans doesn't feel like an improvement and given the fact you face tier 10's and Yamato's now , its improved armour doesn't really compensate for much. Its guns have a slightly better RoF, but also feels like they have worse trajectories and slow shells, and meh damage.

I've kitted the ship out with range upgrades, camo and got the demolition expert captains perk (working to get camo skill as well)

but still struggle to put out damage with this ship.

Any tips on improving my playstyle and making ends meet?

207 posts
8,188 battles

always angle if you head on 1 v 1 just use her front main gun and maximize her concealment, if you have 5th commander skill concealment expert you will get concealment point total around 70.(without 5th skill NOLAN concealment max.63)

remember when close range battle always use WASD hacks skill :D

Beta Tester
63 posts
15,448 battles

Not real close-combat ship as she has no torpedoes. Stay at range of 12km and above. Guns is pretty accurate but rate of fire is real low. Pointing bow at the enemy and only using the front guns is a good idea as your bow is very tough and bouncy. But I do realize more and more people will spam you with HE when they see New Orleans or Baltimore pointing straight at them. So again, stay at range and near ally ships so you can disengage when you are being focus down while at the same time provide excellent AA protection for your teammates.

783 posts
4,810 battles

Since you know how to play Pensacola anyway I guess only advice I can give is to use AP a bit more often(and differently) than when you were playing Pensa. Against other cruisers that is.

If the target is angled, try to target higher(deck area preferably) because of the NO's new trajectory to score normal penetration hits. USN CA AP values have better normalization so most if not all deck hits would penetrate. If the enemy is bow on, then use HE. Broadside is AP as you know it. I take more damage from NOs AP volleys when angled compared to her HE volleys in my Mogami.

HE for non-broadside BBs and all DDs as usual.

I'd rather pick AFT > DemoExpert actually.

Edited by SZYZWY

Sign in to follow this