Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
fawx317

My Hindenburg Disaster

9 comments in this topic

139 posts
5,876 battles

Hello guys,

I got the Hindenburg about a week ago, and haven't been doing well in it. Which was rather shocking to me considering that I had a pretty decent track record with the Roon, as well as Hipper. Somehow I just couldn't dish as much damage out as I could do in the Roon, whether it was due to a string of bad luck in the 20 or so games I've played in it, or more probably I'm doing something wrong.

Some games I played had absurd results - last night I played a game where I landed 35 AP hits into a Des Moines that was only very slightly angled to me, and couldn't penetrate 80% of those hits.

And so here I am, asking for advice on playing what should be a pretty beastly CA :( I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong as I'm playing it the same style I played the Roon, and it's been extremely frustrating to finally hit a Tier X just to suck at it.

The setup I'm running is:

Captain Skills:

1 - Situational Awareness

2 - Incoming Fire Alert (Didn't feel like Expert Marksman was necessary)

3 - Superintendent

4 - AFT

5 - Concealment Expert

Upgrades

1 - Main Battery Mod 1 

2 - Gun Fire Control 1

3 - Damage Control Mod 1

4 - Steering gears Mod 2

5 - Gun Fire Control 2 

6 - Concealment Mod 1

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

I wish i can help you with that fawx317 but since my Cruisers gameplay are really horrible so nothings i can help :(

Wishes R3negade stop by ur post :P 

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

892 posts
7,853 battles

If you played the Roon well, you should be able to ACE the Hindy, which has an extra turret over the former. Likely due to bad luck/matching

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

IDK why people go concealment on hindenburg. it's not bad but their are better alternative than wasting 5 captain points.

Captain Skill
Tier 1: BoS, Situational Awareness
Tier 2: Incoming Fire alert
Tier 3: Vigilance or
tier 4: Demolition and Manual AA control

You dont need high concealment, just get Sit. awareness and IFA this is very important. I believe IFA is the most important skill to any cruiser player and with it i don't need any concealment. In a cruiser, it's very easy to dodge gunfires at long range when you have IFA. When it lights up, brake and turn away, easy. Even when you don;t know who fired at you, even if you are tunnel visioned on sniper mode. Eventually those battleships are gonna give up sniping you and go for sheeps sailing in straight line.

Why vigilance over superintendent? Because torp meta. Hinden is not a very agile cruiser so this will help you alot trust me.

Why Demo expert? B/c a good hindenburg wouldn't always rely on their AP. If you're faced with a good player, they will angle their ship and your shots will be useless. That's when you need to strengthen your weakness(HE) and set him afire. Be a versatile ship.

You can get AFT or manual fire AA, but i prefer manual fire AA since i usually manual fire and your 105mm AA has a high damage, so it would be doubling that damage. Those  105mm also doesn't get destroyed easily so it's worthwhile to buff them.

Upgrades:

MBM 1, +accuracy module, +Range module, damage control, Steering, and acquisition. Dont get concealment.With acquisition and vigilance (and if you have hydraucustic) you will be spotting torps very far and you will be doing great job screening for yourself and teammates.

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,418 battles

You did good with Roon and you shouldn't really have problem with Hindenburg because the playstyle is similar.

I guess the 1 of the reasons belongs to your teammates because Tier X players are like sit in the base and camp for 20minutes. Which cruiser will be useless in this situation, not to mention German CA relies on AP shells to deal high damages.

Here is my setup for Hindenburg for your reference.

eiXAcSI.png

I picked Expert Marksman because I go frontline and hug islands often. Not joking but that a few seconds do matters when you engage multiple enemies. Just pay more attention(free looking) on every enemies after ur each salvo then you can save 2 points for CQC.

What you want on the level 4 captain skill will be Demolition expert. Some Many BB players tend to park their ships at long range, you can enjoy better inferno on them. And they kinda struggle to decide to use damage control on a single fire or not. It is a good way to kill BB on high tier. Also, easy damage dealt padding.

Manual AA is not bad, but considering only 8*105mm is going to get benefited and they are the easiest AA mount that gets destroyed on the ship. Also the raw firing range is not enough to protect yourself when you get swarmed by planes. So AFT is preferred.

When you have more skill points to spend or feel not urgent to have 2 level 4 skills, it might be a good idea to grab the second level 1 skill, BoS and second level 3 skill, High Alert (drop vigilance or Superintendent), your counterpart aka nemesis will be Zao, ultimate fire starter. I am pretty sure you have already experienced that. In addition, if WG didn't do any ninja tweaks, Moskva should be able to disable Hindenburg engine by HE shell even at long range(with some luck).

I hope this helps and hail ze German AP :v

HD3ENuO.png  ok this is a lucky match.

Edited by R3negade

139 posts
5,876 battles

IDK why people go concealment on hindenburg. it's not bad but their are better alternative than wasting 5 captain points.

Captain Skill

Tier 1: BoS, Situational Awareness

Tier 2: Incoming Fire alert

Tier 3: Vigilance or

tier 4: Demolition and Manual AA control

You dont need high concealment, just get Sit. awareness and IFA this is very important. I believe IFA is the most important skill to any cruiser player and with it i don't need any concealment. In a cruiser, it's very easy to dodge gunfires at long range when you have IFA. When it lights up, brake and turn away, easy. Even when you don;t know who fired at you, even if you are tunnel visioned on sniper mode. Eventually those battleships are gonna give up sniping you and go for sheeps sailing in straight line.

Why vigilance over superintendent? Because torp meta. Hinden is not a very agile cruiser so this will help you alot trust me.

Why Demo expert? B/c a good hindenburg wouldn't always rely on their AP. If you're faced with a good player, they will angle their ship and your shots will be useless. That's when you need to strengthen your weakness(HE) and set him afire. Be a versatile ship.

You can get AFT or manual fire AA, but i prefer manual fire AA since i usually manual fire and your 105mm AA has a high damage, so it would be doubling that damage. Those  105mm also doesn't get destroyed easily so it's worthwhile to buff them.

Upgrades:

MBM 1, +accuracy module, +Range module, damage control, Steering, and acquisition. Dont get concealment.With acquisition and vigilance (and if you have hydraucustic) you will be spotting torps very far and you will be doing great job screening for yourself and teammates.

Thanks for your feedback. Though personally I don't really have a problem with torps, with some maneuvering I tend to be able to confuse DDs. I'll try to see if I can implement some of your tips into a final build of sorts :honoring:

You did good with Roon and you shouldn't really have problem with Hindenburg because the playstyle is similar.

I guess the 1 of the reasons belongs to your teammates because Tier X players are like sit in the base and camp for 20minutes. Which cruiser will be useless in this situation, not to mention German CA relies on AP shells to deal high damages.

Here is my setup for Hindenburg for your reference.

eiXAcSI.png

I picked Expert Marksman because I go frontline and hug islands often. Not joking but that a few seconds do matters when you engage multiple enemies. Just pay more attention(free looking) on every enemies after ur each salvo then you can save 2 points for CQC.

What you want on the level 4 captain skill will be Demolition expert. Some Many BB players tend to park their ships at long range, you can enjoy better inferno on them. And they kinda struggle to decide to use damage control on a single fire or not. It is a good way to kill BB on high tier. Also, easy damage dealt padding.

Manual AA is not bad, but considering only 8*105mm is going to get benefited and they are the easiest AA mount that gets destroyed on the ship. Also the raw firing range is not enough to protect yourself when you get swarmed by planes. So AFT is preferred.

When you have more skill points to spend or feel not urgent to have 2 level 4 skills, it might be a good idea to grab the second level 1 skill, BoS and second level 3 skill, High Alert (drop vigilance or Superintendent), your counterpart aka nemesis will be Zao, ultimate fire starter. I am pretty sure you have already experienced that. In addition, if WG didn't do any ninja tweaks, Moskva should be able to disable Hindenburg engine by HE shell even at long range(with some luck).

I hope this helps and hail ze German AP :v

HD3ENuO.png  ok this is a lucky match.

Very much appreciate the advice, I guess I'll ditch Concealment Expert since you and Deicide recommended Demo Expert. 

May I ask what upgrades do you run with? I've always wondered to go for Range or reload speed in the 3rd upgrade slot.   Just noticed the bottom part of the Screenshot. Thanks :honoring:

Edited by fawx317

Sign in to follow this