Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
badgoodgod

Turrets (Edited)

16 comments in this topic

1 post
2,670 battles

First up I love this game. Graphics, game play and the need to learn the game to be good at it rather than most games it is about the amount of money you spend that dictates your success.

there are some things lacking in the game and one thing is the ability to set the position of individual Turrets. Not so important for the destroyers and cruisers  but very important for the slow moving Battleships. I would love to be able to set my turrets individually to be able to engage more than one enemy at a time with out having to wait for the turrets to rotate to the desired co-ordinates. being able to fire on more than one ship would discourage multiple ships coming after you which always seems to happen to me.

Also another suggestion is the use of the anchor in battle to turn your ship faster, like they did in he movie Battlships. Of course this would be difficult for the programmers but both suggestions would help the game play of battleships and improve the tactics to a more life like feel

Edited by lengxv6

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,563 posts

First - its Turrets, not torrents (which are used to download files peer to peer)

Second - The suggestion has already been made several times, a search of the forums would have shown this.

Third - There is nothing life like about the movie Battleship, other then the fact it has a battleship in it. If you drop your anchor whilst going at speed, you will damage your ship, but it will not make you turn faster.

OP Thread edited for correct spelling

~lengxv6

bingo

Edited by lengxv6

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

bingo

The reason why there is such thing in the movie, USING A BATTLESHIP, is because rule of awesome

otherwise it will tear the hull apart and insta-sink your ship

Bingo

Edited by Harpoon01

Beta Tester
812 posts
2,681 battles

if you want to bend your battleship or remove your bow in barbaric manner then anchor drop while in full speed is the best option. also multiple turret to control is not bad but in this game where you plan where your ships cruise, it's a rule to survive to not engage ships in multiple direction so its best to attack ships on a single direction with the fleet. the latter one was just an opinion though the first one is a fact

edit: btw how many times did we debunk anchor drop suggestion anyway?

Edited by Ryusuke_ShireiKan

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Don't find it convincing to have 1 or 2 turrets facing the other way, you'll need them all because RNG is always there to toy your salvo spread.

You can do that on Kawachi though.

Edited by Mingfang47

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

The only Battleship I can think of that could realistically use the independent turret function is the Kawachi with its turrets in a hexagonal formation, its two port side turrets could theoretically engage targets on that side while the fore, aft and starboard turrets could focus on the main enemy formation, giving them her full broadside potential - ships such as her and the first of her kind the British Dreadnought, the German Nassau etc did have such turret arrangement for that purpose, but practically speaking it was an unnecessary and costly feature which only made ships weigh more. Which was why ships moved on to having fewer turrets mounted on the centreline to reduce weight, the amount of armour required and cost, while boosting speed potential.

Also I highly doubt they had enough fire control directors for turrets on each side anyways, a problem the Atlanta with her multitude of turrets also faced.

I never thought people actually believed the Battleships movie "anchor manoeuvre" was genuinely possible....hence why It isn't bingo worthy because it was never mentioned in my memory till now....:hiding:

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

The other would be HMS Dreadnought

I did mention HMS Dreadnought and the German Nassau...the latter having almost the exact same layout as Kawachi
Edited by Blitzkreig95

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

I did mention HMS Dreadnought and the German Nassau...the latter having almost the exact same layout as Kawachi

Lack of sleep, sorry

Forget what i said

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

The only good thing about having different targets for turrets is that when you are bow pointed at a target ship, your rear guns can still focus on another ship in range instead of trying to break itself to aim forward.

As for anchor drop............. :fishpalm:   It WILL NOT WORK, EVER.

But we should just give battleship a consumable for "Anchor Drop" anyway to satisfy the people who keeps complaining at the lack of "anchor drop". Cost 50 Doubloons to equip (cannot be bought with credits). When used, it will 50% of the time do nothing fall into the sea and snap your anchor chain, this will result in an extra 50,000 credit cost for post repair. The other 50% of the time the anchor will bounce off the water hit your hull and cause flooding, then the anchor will keep going and snap, causing 50,000 credits in post battle repairs.

:trollface:

Alpha Tester
1,638 posts
7,230 battles

why It isn't bingo worthy because it was never mentioned in my memory till now....:hiding:

Anchor drop has been called so many times that the bingo card is complete.:red_button:

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,277 battles

Actually i'm pretty sure the anchor drop thing is a 80/20 thing, more likely to fail than work. But as I said, it is possible. Secondly. It would probably work if your boat wasn't moving at first. After all, its just like a brake turn in WOT.

61 posts
2,625 battles

Actually i'm pretty sure the anchor drop thing is a 80/20 thing, more likely to fail than work. But as I said, it is possible. Secondly. It would probably work if your boat wasn't moving at first. After all, its just like a brake turn in WOT.

@anchor

the only thing u d achive trying such a manouver is either ripping out ur anchor winch or the chain stopper (including substructure) or exactly nothing (if water to deep).

Moreover - anchors dont hook in the ground, it is the weight of attached chain which holds the ship in place.

Hence also the rough calc "length of chain on bottom equal or more then 5 times water-depth" to successfully anchor a ship.

Additionally - ever thought of the amount of force a chain would have to take to do such a manouver ??

In the movie it was USS Missouri (if im not mistaken), full loadout 57.500 ts - even at a moderate speed of 20 knots = 37,2 Km/h = 10,82 m/s

at a turn time of approx 10 sec or so, that would be a force of 580.172.310 Nm/s, show me a chain that withstands that :amazed:

@turrets  as far as I know, historically several CA/BB exactly for this reason had more then one rangefinder / mast, or (secondary) rangefinders mounted on the individual turrets, e.g. ingame on South Carolina they even are modelled on Turret B & C,

Edited by BBcaptain008

218 posts
3,793 battles

@turrets  as far as I know, historically several CA/BB exactly for this reason had more then one rangefinder / mast, or (secondary) rangefinders mounted on the individual turrets, e.g. ingame on South Carolina they even are modelled on Turret B & C,

Historically, Early CA/BB have each turret doing their own firing solution. So each turret does their own rangefinding, plotting and firing. Centralized fire control only came later. And yes, even till the end of it's days, BB retain the capability for each turret to act as independent unit. That's why they have officer's booth in each turret.

Sign in to follow this