Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
yobbo1972

Hydroacoustic search

26 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,938 battles

OK I was just in a battle in my Mogami and I had the Hydro acoustics search 1 operating  as I was heading towards a smoke screen that had a fletcher DD hiding in it and he was firing his guns at me.

My ship got to a range of 3.1km from the DD before he was visible.

has anyone else had this problem?

the Hydro acoustics is suppose  to increase the detection of enemy ships even those in smoke by 3.48km now I was at 3.1km b4 he showed up.

Now from what I understand about this is that he should of showed up, at lest at 5km range not when I'm on top of him at 3.1km.

or am I wrong about this?

216 posts
2,239 battles

It's the German ships that have the near 5km sonar range (4.98km to be exact), where as the Japanese ships have the 3.48km range. Now yes it is odd that your client didn't materialized this DD for you until 3.1km but this could just be due to a moment of bad communication from the server to your client, or if there was a lot going on at that very moment on your screen, it might have just took your client a moment to make the DD appear which might have been enough time for you to close the 380m of distance. I wouldn't start stating it's a problem until it continues to do this many time over, or if the distance difference was more severe (such as if you spotted him at 2.8km instead of 3.48km). Pay it a few more times and see if it repeats, and if so then this should be posted in the "Bug Report" section.

Edited by Ryzil

Video Contributor
860 posts
10,965 battles

It's the German ships that has the near 5km sonar range (4.98km to be exact), where as the Japanese ships have the 3.48km range. Now yes it is odd that your client didn't materialized this DD for you until 3.1km but this could just be due to a moment of bad communication from the server to your client, or if there was a lot going on at that very moment on your screen, it might have just took your client a moment to make the DD appear which might have been enough time for you to close the 380m of distance. I wouldn't start stating it's a problem until it continues to do this many time over, or if the distance difference was more severe (such as if you spotted him at 2.8km instead of 3.48km). Pay it a few more times and see if it repeats, and if so then this should be posted in the "Bug Report" section.

This is the most probable cause, at times it can took 1-2 seconds for an enemy ship to render on the screen when its spotted and gets in range.. You can see this happen when your crosshair started 'twitching' moments before the ship shows up

216 posts
2,239 battles

It's ridiculous that German have the best sonar in the game while in real life, the Allies were the ones to develop the world best sonar...

Not disagreeing with you on that, but they had to give the Germans something, because you know..... balancing.....

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,938 battles

It's the German ships that have the near 5km sonar range (4.98km to be exact), where as the Japanese ships have the 3.48km range. Now yes it is odd that your client didn't materialized this DD for you until 3.1km but this could just be due to a moment of bad communication from the server to your client, or if there was a lot going on at that very moment on your screen, it might have just took your client a moment to make the DD appear which might have been enough time for you to close the 380m of distance. I wouldn't start stating it's a problem until it continues to do this many time over, or if the distance difference was more severe (such as if you spotted him at 2.8km instead of 3.48km). Pay it a few more times and see if it repeats, and if so then this should be posted in the "Bug Report" section.

well my ping is 108ms and my FPS is 71-76 my card is old 6990 AMD card,  I'm waiting for the furyx2 to come out SOON.

but even if I wasn't using the sonar you would still spot the DD in the smoke at about 2-3km as it is yeah?  I was expecting to spot the DD at about 4-5km at lest as he was on low HP but sadly nope wasn't to be.

216 posts
2,239 battles

well my ping is 108ms and my FPS is 71-76 my card is old 6990 AMD card,  I'm waiting for the furyx2 to come out SOON.

but even if I wasn't using the sonar you would still spot the DD in the smoke at about 2-3km as it is yeah?  I was expecting to spot the DD at about 4-5km at lest as he was on low HP but sadly nope wasn't to be.

The game is set to proximity spot ships at 2km, so no matter if there is smoke or land (even mountains) if you are 2km from an enemy ship you will spot him by proximity.

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,938 battles

The game is set to proximity spot ships at 2km, so no matter if there is smoke or land (even mountains) if you are 2km from an enemy ship you will spot him by proximity.

True, so with that proximity of 2 km and the sonar of 3.48km  I should of spotted him at 5.48km you would think hey.

Video Contributor
860 posts
10,965 battles

True, so with that proximity of 2 km and the sonar of 3.48km  I should of spotted him at 5.48km you would think hey.

That's now how sonar works..

Sonar increases the proximity of ship detection from the default 2 km to 3 km or higher depending on the nation..

Super Tester
1,310 posts

nope

the default range is 2km..

with hydro it will become 3.48km (2+3.48 is plainly wrong)

tough i have not tested it..

the 2million accuition upgrade should increase the accuition range by 50%

make it a normal range 3km

[untested] with hidro it will be 3.84+50% = 3.84+1.92 = 5.76km???? (probably.. since i have not tested it yet)

probably some super tester can gives us some insight

216 posts
2,239 battles

Ok, I see where your miss understanding this now. So when you activate your sonar it does NOT stack you onto the proximity spotting range. When the consumable summery states that the ship detection range of hydroacoustics is 3.48km that literally means that will be your proxy spotting range for the next minute+ until it runs out.

Super Tester
1,310 posts

actually.. so much thanks for the hydro action time buff that applied recently (several patch ago)
hydro has become worth to take..now u can actually hunt dd with hydro,,

the old hydro only has 30 or 40 sec action time if i am not mistaken.. by the time u near the smoke.. the hydro is used up already.. lol

216 posts
2,239 battles

nope

the default range is 2km..

with hydro it will become 3.48km (2+3.48 is plainly wrong)

tough i have not tested it..

the 2million accuition upgrade should increase the accuition range by 50%
make it a normal range 3km

[untested] with hidro it will be 3.84+50% = 3.84+1.92 = 5.76km???? (probably.. since i have not tested it yet)

probably some super tester can gives us some insight

It does not stack. Me and a buddy tested it.

So you can use the Target Acquisition System Mod 1 to stack your torp spotting distance with Vigilance, and it does give you a proximity spotting range increase, however as soon as hydroacoustics is activated it does not take any other stat into effect, hydroacoustics consumable spotting range for both torp and ship can not be buffed by skills or upgrades (trust me, I wish it could, the possiblity to hunt DDs would be insane).

Edited by Ryzil

Super Tester
1,310 posts

So you can use the Target Acquisition System Mod 1 to stack your torp spotting distance with Vigilance, and it does give you a proximity spotting range increase, however as soon as hydroacoustics is activated it does not take any other stat into effect, hydroacoustics consumable spotting range for both torp and ship can not be buffed by skills or upgrades (trust me, I wish it could, the possiblity to hunt DDs would be insane).

thanks for clarifying it

if those mod can upgrde the consumable.. it will be insane indeed

7.7km german hydro? 15km russian sonar?

lol.. that will be broken... DD will extinct. :teethhappy:

its good that target accuition mod does not increase consumable effect..

Edited by ReNation

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,938 battles

That's now how sonar works..

Sonar increases the proximity of ship detection from the default 2 km to 3 km or higher depending on the nation..

yeah that's what I figured.

but I couldn't detect this fletcher until 3.1km which I thought was funny.

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,938 battles

ok fair enough.

but just doesn't seem right and bit unfair having to get 3.48km away to be able to spot a DD in smoke.

but for some reason when I'm hiding in smoke I tend to get spotted by ships at 4-5 km away when I know that ship has sonar.

All very strange indeed

Super Tester
1,310 posts

ok fair enough.

but just doesn't seem right and bit unfair having to get 3.48km away to be able to spot a DD in smoke.

but for some reason when I'm hiding in smoke I tend to get spotted by ships at 4-5 km away when I know that ship has sonar.

All very strange indeed

rusian sonar can spot up to >10km away :/

german hydro can spot almost 5km away.. 

Edited by ReNation

216 posts
2,239 battles

ok fair enough.

All very strange indeed

Your issue might that you are pulling just outside your smoke screen boundaries. This here is a video of a smoke screen boundary mod that shows you how your smoke works in game...

Aslain normally has it in his mod pack (this mod is still needing to be fix for this patch), and don't worry, it is allowed in the game and not considered cheating (was created by a WG staff member).

Super Tester
1,310 posts

yeah that's what I figured.

but I couldn't detect this fletcher until 3.1km which I thought was funny.

most probably rendering problem

which the actual culprit is the HDD activity (not graphic card).. when  our HDD is at 100% usage (used by system/another program/copying file/etc) the game having hard time to read texture/model file from game client. that resulted in the invisible ship
u should have spot him.. u should have seen him.. 

but u dont, the ship mark in minimap is also transparent. 

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

yesterday a usn dd was sitting in smoke, beached on an island, I had to get my Mikhail within less than 2kms to see him, and naturally only when I turned my guns away from him did he appear. He got to fire at me the entire approach, not to mention the 2 full salvos of torps I had to dodge.

By the time I retained my guns on him when he became visible, he was so close, I could not get enough gun depression on him to hit him....

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,938 battles

Your issue might that you are pulling just outside your smoke screen boundaries. This here is a video of a smoke screen boundary mod that shows you how your smoke works in game...

Aslain normally has it in his mod pack (this mod is still needing to be fix for this patch), and don't worry, it is allowed in the game and not considered cheating (was created by a WG staff member).

hmm but unfair mod I say.

why have nay mods that can help players get an advantage over other players in that way.

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,938 battles

most probably rendering problem

which the actual culprit is the HDD activity (not graphic card).. when  our HDD is at 100% usage (used by system/another program/copying file/etc) the game having hard time to read texture/model file from game client. that resulted in the invisible ship
u should have spot him.. u should have seen him.. 

but u dont, the ship mark in minimap is also transparent. 

yeah u could be right since I'm using a old card and waiting on a new card. but all my other components in the computer are newish. 4 months old. 

216 posts
2,239 battles

hmm but unfair mod I say.

why have nay mods that can help players get an advantage over other players in that way.

That's almost like say I have an unfair advantage over other player since I took the time to read the game mechanics which give me a better understanding of the game. Any one has the ability to access this info and read it, same with this mod, anyone can use it.

(Two race car drives enter a race, both cars that were given to them were stock. The first driver decides to upgrade his car with parts that were available to him for free and were determined to be fair by the race judges, all the first driver had to do is install the parts himself. The second driver has the same parts available to him to use but he does not install them. When they go to race the first driver wins by a few seconds due to the upgraded parts. Is it unfair that the first driver won from using allowed parts while the second racer did not use them?)

I'm aware this doesn't cover new players that don't know about the mods, but I doubt it will take long for them to find out.

And just so you know if you have smoke screen boundary mod running not only does it show you your smoke screen boundaries but it also shows team mates smoke and also enemy smoke boundaries. I don't see this as cheating, I view this as enlightening and teaching players more about their ships.

29TfebH.png?1

Edited by Ryzil

216 posts
2,239 battles

You say "as well", has WG added that mod pack to WoT or have stated it's ok, because I highly doubt they have.

Look I wasn't trying to get into a debate on 'Fair and Cheating', you stated that you were confused on how you were getting spotted at 4-5km distances after you threw up your smoke, all I did was try to show you a possible reason on why you were being spotted maybe (as you sail out of your most recent created smoke boundary ring). It will also do you good to learn the capabilities of each nations sonar since they are not all the same, like I've stated already German CA's can use sonar to spot ships up to 4.98km, so if it was a German ship that was approaching you then this could be what you experienced.

If you want to continue debating the fairness of the smoke boundary mod then feel free to start yet another topic about that subject.

Sign in to follow this