Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ArtickWarspite

Sour gripes

6 comments in this topic

156 posts
3,368 battles

Hi all,

Whilst I'm still reasonably new to the game having only played it for a few months, there are a couple of things that would be nice to get some opinions on. At present I am tier V (sadly I only get to play every couple of days), and am unlocking the US line of DD's. CA's and BB's.

Firstly I love my St Louis cruiser. As a fan of early 20th C ships, this is right up my alley. Unfortunately every time I take it out, It's put up against Tier IV BB's and tier V everything else. So its' already vastly outmatched before the game begins and as a result does a bit to ruin the fun. Is there anyway to match it up to more equal competition? This happens for my lower tier ships across the board. :(

Secondly, whilst there's no secret about the discussion of US BB dispersion, personally I feel it is a touch too high. Firing 2 rounds from the same gun at the same time with one landing far in front of the target and one landing far behind it does result in questions being asked.

Again, just my opinions, but it would be nice to know what others think. 

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

When you use a tier, the possibility is 2 tier higher or 2 tier lower so it is normal for tier 3 to drawn into a tier 4 and 5 match

Not many people play Tier 3 , while there are many people playing tier 4 and 5 so the chance to have all match in tier 3 is less..

I hope you can play your way and start playing tier 4,5 or 6.

The tier 4 Phoenix is a good HE spammer, the tier 5 Omaha kinda okay but Tier 6 Cleveland i a good Cruiser with decent AA. 

But again if you really like your Tier 3 St. Louise, and feel no fun facing a tier 5 opponent, then i suggest you playing more on Co-Op (to relieve the stress) and also to find a player who want to play in tier 3 with you in a division. hopefully both of you can get into tier 3 or 4 only, not goes to tier 5.

580 posts
1,587 battles

You're not the only one who feels this way... But that's just how it goes, getting +2/-2 Tiers in a match is pretty normal through all the tiers except for T10... From my experience in order to get good matches, I usually play hard during the after work/after school hours since a lot of people will be playing through all the Tiers and Ship Types... This is how I manage in the Atlanta since I play her mostly as an AA ship and a lot of CV players are out there in the evenings...

US BBs are played by getting close to the enemy and brawl the heck out... They got good armor and quicker rotating guns unlike their Japanese counterparts which play by sniping... Be smart, look at the map and get a sense of the battle before you, never approach if you're gonna be alone and in danger and close the distance to 15KM and under, the dispersion ain't so bad that far out...

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,163 battles

American 305 mm gun have high dispersion? You haven't played Japanese battleship, don't you? 

And yes, dispersion on battleship's guns is terrible. South Carolina and Wyoming find themselves in the most comfortable range at about 7-9 km. New York and New Mexico can hit reliably at 12 km. 

Still, the more you play, the more you get used to it. Battleships have huge damage output. It would be unfair if they can just hit everything whenever they fire, right? 

156 posts
3,368 battles

Well yes I suppose so, it'd be nice if there were more lower tier ships, as that might increase the playing pool. One day perhaps.

Sadly my times playing the game are late at night. Peak times don't really work having a young family.. I'll just keep plugging away at it. ☺

Nope, not playing Japanese BB's at the moment. While I can live with the current level of dispersion, firing a Salvo that doesn't even come close to getting near the aiming point is frustrating. But I do understand that comes with the territory. Just means we'll have to get closer.

How does the scoring system work? What earns you more exp? I played a random battle where I scored over 60 hits but only got 900 experience. Did I not hit the right places with the right shells? Do setting fires and incapacitation give more reward?

156 posts
3,368 battles

Well yes I suppose so, it'd be nice if there were more lower tier ships, as that might increase the playing pool. One day perhaps.

Sadly my times playing the game are late at night. Peak times don't really work having a young family.. I'll just keep plugging away at it. ☺

Nope, not playing Japanese BB's at the moment. While I can live with the current level of dispersion, firing a Salvo that doesn't even come close to getting near the aiming point is frustrating. But I do understand that comes with the territory. Just means we'll have to get closer.

How does the scoring system work? What earns you more exp? I played a random battle where I scored over 60 hits but only got 900 experience. Did I not hit the right places with the right shells? Do setting fires and incapacitation give more reward?

Sign in to follow this