Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
EvyL

USS West Virginia (BB-48)

4 comments in this topic

Super Tester
1,677 posts

One of the more funky dreads that served, I would say that proper retrofitting of modern shit made one of the Big Seven battleships into an impressive lug despite being stabbed in the sleep because surprise attack.

Man I have poor info raiding sources for battles, best focus on badposting ships.

I PRESENT TO YOU THE LATTICE MAST WEST VIRGINIA.

v82d85.jpg

GLORIOUS RETROFIT.

WeeVee's an example of the quote I remembered my gramps telling me: "if its old and is able, it only needs refurbishing and it shall continue to be able".

One of the old archetypal battleships and a member of the Big Seven alongside her sisters, West Virginia was typical of dreadnoughts: big, pudgy, and tough, but in the case of the Colorado class, they had 16 inch guns and those funny ass lattice masts that was common. In a sense, the 1920 South Dakota dreads (ya think that cramped 1939 South Dakota battleship was THE only ship? Well screw you) would have superseded the Colorados but due to the Washington Naval Treaty, some of the capital ships they had were scrapped as well as plans for super sekrit ships were cancelled. If it still wasn't enough, Lexington, with an already workable hull as a functional battlecruiser, was converted to a carrier because the aspect of building and classifying a big ass ship as a "battlecruiser" meant that it was in league with a battleship as a "capital ship" regarding the article sections ratified in how to capital ship. And no, the Lexington is NOT its successor before it went full carrier. You never go full carrier AND LIVE. Take into example Akagi which was once an Amagi battlecruiser and Kaga which was once a Tosa battleship and this ship as well as Langley because she was a collier.

3305wnt.jpg

How to dreadnought 101: West Virginia with huge ass hyperboloid lattice masts for glorious spotters and searchlight mountings.

Despite being a "newer" dreadnought, she and her sisters are "standard type battleships" aka "I don't give a crap how you build your bottlesheep so long as her length is x, her speed at and her beam is z, you get me?" which means that within the Big Five standard type battleships (note: this Big Five is only used for the USN side, it wasn't termed elsewhere like the Big Seven) which consisted of the Nevadas, Pennsylvanias, New Mexicos, Tennessees and Colorados, had more or less similar, if not the same stuff and if in the time they get outdated as the battleship had a life of about 40 years which would include retrofittings and mods, all units within the standard type will be replaced as well. Special mention should be of the Nevada because that ruddy battleship which had to rest aground a sandbar in order to not block the way in the event she gives up trying to float after the attack at Pearl for instigating the "all or nothing" scheme which all standard types shared.

2n6u5gk.jpg

Retrofitted West Virginia, 1944 fit. From what I could grab, she didn't have any more retrofits as the mod '44 was her last one.

West Virginia was protected with about 14 inches of belt, most of the grit getting as thick as it could on the citadel zones, 11-18 inches of turret, about 4 inches of deck and about 12 inches of conning tower along with the protection of the almighty lattice mast for glorious visibility and gunnery because lattice mast STRONK although after her retrofit her beam widened a bit to accommodate the torpedo blisters because dreadnoughts did not have internal torpedo bulkheads and the best way you could actually protect them from torpedo strikes is to throw in bulges so that the ship won't suffer severe damage from a single torpedo or more. However this was a bit of the problem as the pudgy ships won't fit in canal gates. Offensives initially had her eight 16 inch guns which could lob a round at a max of 40km but with effective maximum range of 31km, a dozen or so 5 inch guns for secondaries in casemates, some measly 76mm pop shooter guns on the deck for AA suite (hey, you can't blame them. A biplane was fairly easy to knock out of the sky. Unlike a certain battleship who was actually incapacitated by a biplane lugging around a torpedo because gun directors lol), and submerged torpedo tubes. Yes, you read that right, torpedo tubes on a flippin' battleship, a dreadnought even. Deal with it. After retrofitting, she had her 76mm pop shooters removed for more 5 inch guns and at this time they were all dual purpose in their respective mounts, a buttload of Bofors 40mm AA guns because a certain someone I know is a fervent worshipper of the almighty Bofors 40mm and a heap of 20mm Oerlikons. Also included were improved gun directors which are just literal aimbots because the fun idea of feeding the rangekeeper ballistic computer radar information straight from the CIC sensors was actually good enough for the US ships, even the humble destroyer, to be aimbot cheating pricks because glorious technology means its an edge and not the filthy, dirty cheat module that it is. As she was one of the standard type battleships, she had a max speed of about 21 knots and give the time frame, this was reasonable compared to the superdreads of the Queen Elizabeth which were 'fast' at 24 knots.

About her guns though... as they are 16 inch guns, one could expect to shove the Mark 8 superheavy shell in as certain individuals such as a person who carries the force of the wind seal clubbing with the Minekaze, its not technically that simple as the shells are too long and big for the breech and for the equipment to handle and its likely the rangekeeper has no preset data to add the crunch as from what I could remember. But who needs that when GLORIOUS LATTICE MASTS the new GFCS installed in her retrofit means she can shoot in the dark and still hit your citadel. And this is not cheating, this is fair and legal... kinda. Also, they should have an improved HE shell that has a bigger boom than previous models.

w130g8.jpgHere's the West Virginia...

a0j4h0.jpgAnd the lead ship Colorado. 

No lattice mast element on WeeVee. SHAMEFUL.

After her shakedown, she participated in usually boring exercises such as honing her gunnery to the point where she emerged as a dread who could simply straddle you from far away without making prior calculations in correcting her detail and there was this incident where some of her navigation and equipment for handling like the engine order telegraph as she was in the middle of a cruise not responding and all to the point she had grounded herself in shallow water because of wonky problems. After geting some mods like HMG's, she was stationed at Pearl Harbor and did most of her routine exercises there... and then came the attack on Pearl Harbor...

2me4bjq.jpg... where everything was in the shit.

West Virginia was there in Battleship Row and saw Arizona mag det from a bomb made from a 16 inch shell, the same bomb type that also gave the dreadnought the first whacks of her operational life but it didn't end there as torpedo strikes were there and she sustained a couple of torpedoes and started to list until the guys aboard her had to run damage control as frantically as they could and this is even moreso as they tried to man the AA guns on the decks while having oilfire smoke from Arizona after she blew up engulf the battleship. It didn't end there as somewhere down the decks, due to the holes on the hull from the torpedo strikes, they sailors faced a choice: the ship goes keel up or counterflood the hell out of the compartments to keep her upright. It was still hell in the making as they were reeling hard from it and West Virginia had to be repaired keel up from the severity of her damage with the first step of the hull being pumped out of water to refloat her back (the dread actually sank low in the water but didn't really "sink" because of the immediate 'duct tape' fix that they had to do at the cost of their friends in the flooded areas meeting ol' Grim in the most awful way ever). And this took about 4 years for her to get back up, retrofitted and all.

After the whole bit, she was sent to the Pacific Theater as one of the reinforcing battleships to send in the bulwark as at the time, she had already finished her trials and fitting out and to add for the cherry on top, the dread was refurbished for combat. There she was bunched along with Oldendorf who was in command of a merry group of dreads operating as fire support and fire support they did during the establishment of the Leyte beachhead though it was at this time where during a close-in to one shore battery, her propellers got mangled a bit due to hitting the seafloor. As she was there in the Leyte AO waiting if the ground forces needed something to un-exist, the PT boats in Surigao Strait reported contact as the group went through their torpedo walls like Eurobeat dodges torpedoes and steamed at the mouth of the straight waiting to greet the force. It was then at this time that their sensors picked up the ships and West Virginia, being fleet gunnery champion and adding the fact that she had cheat modules installed, fired the first salvo at 22km which connected hard on Yamashiro in the freakin' dark as the rest of her dread colleagues were trying to get a firing solution themselves at that time with Pennsylvania being the only one whose guns were silent as she lost her glasses in the darkness did not find a firing solution. Majority of the rounds that connected came from her as right after she aimbotted her GFCS onto Yamashiro, it was fairly easy to unload salvo after salvo. And this is coming from a ship which was likely running at 16 knots due to earlier propeller damage and got totaled during Pearl Harbor before running to Ulithi for repairs. Afterwards she served as an AA screen as kamikaze strikes were getting rather intense, as floating artillery by pummeling the hell out of targets close to the shore where the landings will set up, and was probably one of the disappointed battleships that hoped to blast the shit out of Yamato during Okinawa but because of the carrier commanders being the killstealing pricks that they are without giving them a chance to shoot the last super battleship. She was present during the Japanese surrender at Tokyo bay, was decommissioned and eventually scrapped. Well that was an inglorious end.

28a264x.jpg

Old yet still kicked ass.

In-game wise, I must ask: where is muh West Virginia hull on Colorado? If she is to be a separate ship, I'm expecting her rudder to be slower than the Colorado's when fully upgraded with tighter dispersion. As I have yet to earn my blood, sweat and tears on Colorado, I will learn firsthand why she is called the LOLorado, Craporado and Cringerado.

Derp.exe has encountered a serious error.

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,921 battles

Colorado in game is actually a pretty good ship, even without that scary looking battery of 8x2 5"/28 secondaries

She sure is slow, but her 16" guns punch real hard, her AA is darn good, she can turn on a dime and has solid armour that even the North Carolina is jealous of.

Speaking of the West Virginia, the new superstructure looks almost similar in function and layout (not height) to them Japanese Pagoda style mast which the western Shipbuilders laughed at, kinda ironic I say

Good read Evyl :)

Alpha Tester
266 posts
3,486 battles

a certain someone I know is a fervent worshipper of the almighty Bofors 40mm 

YOUUUUUU >:E

that's in TONKS!!!! but also in ships

as always, great read. And same thoughts for the colorado in game. Giving her the WeeVee composition might have covered the rest of her shortcomings.

also, screw those filthy hyperboloid towers >:E

Super Tester
1,677 posts

Colorado in game is actually a pretty good ship, even without that scary looking battery of 8x2 5"/28 secondaries

She sure is slow, but her 16" guns punch real hard, her AA is darn good, she can turn on a dime and has solid armour that even the North Carolina is jealous of.

Speaking of the West Virginia, the new superstructure looks almost similar in function and layout (not height) to them Japanese Pagoda style mast which the western Shipbuilders laughed at, kinda ironic I say

Good read Evyl :)

Well they can't really do anything apart from go upwards when installing new crap and this is on the USN dreadnoughts as the British dreads such as Queen Elizabeth strangely just got more superstructure on the ship and it really didn't go "up" afaik. Except for Fuso, because if they wanted to go abeam mods, she will most likely lose more turrets and have a total reconstruction. If you want similarities, check the cramped South Dakota's with this.

And I'm not remotely sorry for referring to your love of Bofors, koto-nee XD 

Edited by EvyL

Sign in to follow this