Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Penbounder

Atago or Kutuzov? which one is more fun?

Your votes here  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Atago or Kutuzov

• Pan-paka-paaan! Atago is more fuuun!
    • Russian bias is vodka (kutuzov is fun-er)

19 comments in this topic

6 posts
619 battles

"Pan-paka-paaan!"or Russian Bias?

Kutuzov has recently entered the shop for a limited time, and pretty much created a dilemma for me. I have done comparisons, looked at both ships reviews from youtube and forums. And this is basically what i came up with:

-Atago gets a lot of praise from many players. 

-Atago has stealth system

-Atago shoots slow but hits hard

-Atago torps have beautiful arcs and range

-Kutuzov looks incredibly easy to play thanks to its range and rate-of-fire

-Kutuzov creates a 7.2km no-fly zone when specced for AA. Great AA even though unspecced

-Kutuzov comes in a bundle which is actually cheaper than Atago at the time of posting.

-Both ships are very fragile

With that in mind, my question is this: Which ship is the most fun to play? Which one gives you a smile everytime you take it out for a spin? Which one keeps you awake at night, impatient for the morning to come so you can unleash destruction with the gem of your collection?

Fun and replayability are two factors I have not yet known. I will be looking forward to advice and suggestions to those that might have either or both ships. Comments are welcome.

Thank you, sorry for my bad english.

P.S. Im writing this from a phone so maybe a lot of errors here and there. Poll may not be working.

Edited by Penbounder

6 posts
619 battles

I thought kutuzov is OP as well? Both ships are basically the apex of their respective lines. Atago being the apex of japanese cruisers and kutuzov being the apex of russian cruisers. This, I think, is because the ships above them will perform worse or exactly the same as they do.

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,801 battles

Atago has:

• Repair Party - Repairs 33% Citadel damage (Cruisers Repair)
  • Wonderful Concealment
  • Powerful HE and AP
  • 10km Torpedo Range
    • 2 sets per side
    • Usable torpedo arc
    • Hard hitting

Mikhail Kutuzov has:

• Smoke
  • 19.1km range
  • Splendid AA

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

I recently bought the mikhail:

Yes it spam shots upto 19kms at high rof HOWEVER, even though shots are on target many can miss, out of 12 peppering a ship some 4-6 might hit, sometimes only 1-4, and thats with the -7% to main gun dispersion gfcs I think it is mod I mounted, AND

even with the +3% chance of fire 4th captains skill, I find many enemy ships can take a lot of hits before a fire is set. I'm reconsidering this skill because for a 4 skill points skill, it doesn't FEEL like it's worth it.

I mostly have spammed HE with the ship so far, because even though people say it's AP can be devastating, the times I have tried it, it does very little damage, up close or from range, and I certainly haven't got a single citadel yet.

So back to the HE, I spam HE for an entire battle and get some 120-140 hits:

I can expect a good payout (unlike the Tirpitz AP which is highly unpredictable in damage output ergo credit earnings).

I have set up to 12 fires.

However, very often in post battle stats I see I only get some 40k damage from hits, and 15k damage from fires set.

A lot of how well you can do depends on how well your fires get to burn, if each fire is quickly put out etc etc. The good thing about the HE damage is that most often 1 salvo of HE from the Mikhail does more damage than 1 salvo of AP from the Tirpitz.

I think the biggest damage AP salvo I've had so far was when I surprised a tier 9 cruiser around an island and put 12 into him from 4kms away for around 8k damage.

Its certainly much more fun than a game in the Tirpitz which is constantly 0-4k damage salvos of AP every 25 seconds, with the odd citadel.

The 8km torps aren't bad, only 2kms shorter range than Atago, however less in number too.

The 19km range is superb for maintaining safety while getting some damage in, and hopefully setting some fires, and that is the Mikhails strength I think.

The AA deterrent is excellent, I call it a deterrent because all cv players seem to keep well away. You can choose to reinforce the AA skills and mods or to further improve your gun platform, it's a great ship. Oh, it smashes dd's when in close too, so taking hydroacoustic is handy.

I feel I can contribute to the team much more than in the Tirpitz, because I can take out planes, dd's and engage from range where in Tirpitz I can only engage from range, getting close is very rare, and often gets low damage scores for a BB, (lower than it's own HP). Obviously the tier 8 premium DD is quite different, but I must say of all tier 8 prems, I prefer this cruiser. 

[MEGA]
4,561 posts
17,548 battles

i've played more then 400 matches in the MK and i can tell you a bit it's pros and cons from my pov

pros:

magic AP:

this ship has hard hitting AP like you wouldn't believe, it's really simple to citadel other CA of any tier when in 10 km range and he's showing his belly(except KM CAs, but hey, they count as BBs), i'd say you would be doing 5000+ per volley if you get a good angle, 8000+ even if you just got 1 citadel,  even BBs can feel the pain from it's AP as it would do about 3000 per volly, and you have wonderful ROF so u could get around 2 volleys while the other ship is showing it's belly

napalm HE:

to tell the truth, i dont use HE as often as i should for this ship (or any CAs) because i prefer to CQC other CAs and cith them to the bottom of Davy jone's locker, but it's HE is still a force to be reckoned with, apart from the MK, i have seen very few other ships get wither except zao or DM, and that's saying something,  good chance  for fire combined with extreme range, good ROF, many guns and reasonable shell arcs mean you'll do quite a bit of damage just on HE alone( i remeber i got 3 withers during the arc myoko mission while everyone was spamming HE and that was without dem expert)

smoke:

here is the best part of the MK, the smoke, ever wanted to hide in smoke and shoot he heck out of every ship you see? well now you can, MK's smoke is it's "premium"  feature(like atago's hp regen and Lo Yang's sonar), and i have to say that it's delicious, my play style is to get s close to the other team's CAs as i can without getting spotted(11km with upgrade and lv5 perk if there's no DD around), push through fire for about 2 more KMs, reduce speed while i smoke, and cithadel the crap out o the outer cruiser as he try to pick me out of the smoke, and by the time the smoke has gone, my BB teammates would have arrived and take some of the heat for me. and it's all possible due to smoke. of course, this feature can be used to help cover a teammate who's in trouble or just cover your own arse while running

AA: 

MK has one of the best AA in the game, it can create a 7.2km no fly zone for any planes not launched off midway even in my surface to surface config, if you decide to go with AA MK and get BFT, AFT, manual AA fire and the AA range upgrade, even midways will think twice about attacking you.

cons.

1.paper armor:

expect to get citadeled, a lot. everyone knows you have crap armor and u'll be the first one to get fired on more often then not because of it, angling will help quite a bit for AP but HE rounds will hurt you and you'll loose a lot of your AA in a HE duel with another CA/CL, you should come out on top of a duel but with 1/2 HP unless he's dumb enough to show his belly and let you cith him 10k per volly

2.paper turrets:

expect to lose loose turrets every 3-4 games, any BB AP rounds and KM AP rounds to the turret will usually mean a red X where your turret once stood, nothing will help this problem except for sniping and RNG

3.high detection range:

before you get the LV5 perk, you'll be seen from at least 13km away, so before you get to lV5 concealment perk, dont expect to catch any CAs or DDs off guard

4: torps

while the 8km 60KT torps are not too bad, you'll rarely get to use them for offensive, not like the atago where you have 9.2 detection range and 10km torps

5:low alpha damage with HE

TBH, unless set quite a few fires in the game, expect low damage because the alpha damage on MK's he is pretty bad 

(only better then KM CA's HE), so most of the damage from HE spams will be from fire

all in all, the MK can be used as a team player(provide AA, torch the other team's BBs with HE, and smoke for retreats, will usually live to the end) or a lone wolf like me (lower detection range to max and go DD/CA hunting, cap with smoke, go rambo on the other team and have a cithadel party. dies quicker), you'll be sure to find a play style for this ship once you get used to it

Edited by drakon233

6 posts
619 battles

Another question:

For those of you who have played the russian line, Which one is overall better (read: enjoyable to play) IJN or Soviets? This is because i'm gonna use either ship more for crew training than cash making.

Edited by Penbounder

38 posts
4,571 battles

Very interesting, I have the atago from early playing in this game but not kutzov. The Russian boat seems to be able to hide very easily behind its smoke and wreak havoc.

I find targeting other peoples Atagos with my other ships quite hard but my own one seems to have a glass citadel at times lol...

Very tempted to get the kutzov..... I do love my imperator

38 posts
4,571 battles

WOWmkz.jpgWhat the hell, cheaper than a speeding ticket so pulled the pin on the Kutzov. Initial impression seems more fun and faster fire than Atago.

Screen grab from second game, still dialling in :)

WOWmkz.jpg

[MEGA]
4,561 posts
17,548 battles

wow, so few shots hit? MK's prime weapon will always be it's guns, dont think you are a DD and torps are your first chose of weapons ....

Sign in to follow this