You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
The_Iron_Eagle

New premium ships in 0.5.4 : Tier 7 Saipan and tier 3 Campbeltown

84 comments in this topic

[GVN]
Beta Tester
159 posts
3,369 battles

Tier 7 US Carrier

Cost : 9500 gold

5 squads, 3 planes per squad

2 fighter squads + 3 torpedo bomber squads

Fighter : Vought F4U-4 (current top fighter of tier 9 Essex)

Torpedo bomber : Douglas AD1 (old stock torpedo bomber of  tier 10 Midway)

Saipan%201_zps5j5pw4lg.jpg

Saipan%202_zpsvblenfhv.jpg

Tier 3 British DD

Cost : 1650 gold

Guns with 8,6 rpm and 6% fire chance

Torpedoes with 57 kt and 7,5 km range

Campbeltown%201_zpsiprmtffy.jpg 

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

Cambelltown.

This ship had a glorious end to her life, with her bows packed with explosive. read me.   

She rammed the dry dock gates at St Nazaire in a commando raid. Next day when the Germans where swarming all over her, laughing at the feeble British attempt to ram the gates, the explosive detonated, killing the Germans and destroying the drydock. Someone on the German team forgot to check the ship for hidden surprises.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Edited by AntifoulAwl

783 posts
4,819 battles

Saipan - 48 planes all in all.

3 planes per squadron but the planes are T9-10 level stats per.

(If I estimate it right, It pretty much matches up to the 4 planes per squadron on T7. It's like an T7 IJN CV with a 2/3/0 loadout)

I'd love to get this, it's a USN carrier I can train my upcoming USN CV captain with and has a pretty glorious alpha strike capability. I'm gonna wait on info on how the torp spread will be but it's already shaping up to be a good indicator on what to expect with premium CVs.

[GVN]
Beta Tester
159 posts
3,369 battles

Saipan - 48 planes all in all.

3 planes per squadron but the planes are T9-10 level stats per.

(If I estimate it right, It pretty much matches up to the 4 planes per squadron on T7. It's like an T7 IJN CV with a 2/3/0 loadout)

I'd love to get this, it's a USN carrier I can train my upcoming USN CV captain with and has a pretty glorious alpha strike capability. I'm gonna wait on info on how the torp spread will be but it's already shaping up to be a good indicator on what to expect with premium CVs.

torp spread will be the convergent one which is seen in Japanese CV

783 posts
4,819 battles

torp spread will be the convergent one which is seen in Japanese CV

Hmmm, so I get to treat it as a Hiryuu with a 2/3/0 loadout and capacity of 48 planes.

Better soft stats per plane too.

Thanks for the heads up.

359 posts
2,819 battles

Nice to see premium CV stat at last.

Now wait for 2017 so I can look at premium IJN CV. Hopefully Akagi/Kaga

Gonna wait for feedback on Premium CV. Will it be well receive (so WG implement another one). Will it be reasonably powerful and worth the money.

Very eagerly wait for review.

BTW just to clarify. she came for NA server correct. Not yet for EU and Asia?

Small but numerous fighter squadron is bad for head on fight.

http://forum.worldofwarships.asia/index.php?/topic/10326-usn-fighters-vs-ijn-fighters-a-detailed-analysis/

But you can be at different point at the same time. or tie up and barrage.

Small but numerous Torp bomber look good. Hammer/anvil. Not sure if they are harder to survive when got AA focus. Especially when you approach one squad at a time to maximize manual drop.

Edited by Hero_of_Zero

783 posts
4,819 battles

I'm gonna compare them a bit. Please do correct me for anything I get wrong.

The Saipan has:

Fighters:

HP: 1910 -> 5730 per Squadron

Speed: 178

Damage: 70 -> 210 per Squadron

Torpedo Bombers:

HP: 1940 -> 5820 per Squadron

Speed: 155

Comparing it to the upgraded planes that Hiryuu and Ranger have and using per squadron values.

Fighters:

HP: 5730(Saipan)(3) <=> 5640(Hiryuu)(4) <=> 9360(Ranger)(6)

Speed: 178(Saipan) <=> 162(Hiryuu) <=> 166(Ranger)

Damage: 210(Saipan) <=> 232(Hiryuu) <=> 336(Ranger)

Torpedo Bombers:

HP: 5820(Saipan)(3) <=> 4840(Hiryuu)(4) <=> 9060(Ranger)(6)

Speed: 155(Saipan) <=> 129(Hiryuu) <=> 133(Ranger)

Goes without saying that the Saipan has better per plane values. In Squadron confrontations, we can see the 3-plane FT squadron from Saipan is pretty much comparable to a Hiryuu FT squadron for a fair fight.

Under enemy AA however, the Saipan's Torpedo Bomber Squadrons actually fare a lot better than the Hiryuu's. They are more durable and way faster.

With the 5th Captain perk, the Saipan is actually more comparable to the Ranger's 6-plane FT squadron much more than a Hiryuu FT squadron with the same perk.

In most stats though, we can consider Saipan as a premium Hiryuu with no DB squadrons. She has a better alpha damage potential since her TBs are plain better with the torpedo loadout and plane survivability. Downside is the 48 planes which I personally think would not be an issue. Strike fast and strike hard then retreating while avoiding confrontations from the enemy CV which the massive speed advantage of her planes allow.

I want to ask: "When panicked, do they have the same drop circle as a USN torpedo bomber panicked or get the drop circle of an IJN torpedo bomber panicked since she has the IJN converging spread initially?"

[EDIT: I got the Douglas AD1 numbers]

[EDIT2: Darth_Glorious Correction]

Edited by SZYZWY

[GVN]
Beta Tester
159 posts
3,369 battles

Douglas AD1 has a maximum speed of 194 knots and a hit point of 1940.

With torpedoes, its speed is 80% of the maximum value, so 155 knots.

Edited by Darth_Glorious

783 posts
4,819 battles

Douglas AD1 has a maximum speed of 194 knots and a hit point of 1940.

With torpedoes, its speed is 80% of the maximum value, so 155 knots.

Guess the archive I visited was wrong about that. Thanks for the correction.

So it's TBs are literally even faster than the Midway Stock right now. Just wow!

I might as well ask, do you have the info on what the panic spread of the Saipan's TBs are? Is it similar to the panic spread of the IJN? or the USN type TBs?

(It's kind of important for me personally since if retains the USN type panic spread, Saipan would be an ideal hit and run carrier)

Thanks in advance.

Edited by SZYZWY

[GVN]
Beta Tester
159 posts
3,369 battles

Guess the archive I visited was wrong about that. Thanks for the correction.

So it's TBs are literally even faster than the Midway Stock right now. Just wow!

I might as well ask, do you have the info on what the panic spread of the Saipan's TBs are? Is it similar to the panic spread of the IJN? or the USN type TBs?

(It's kind of important for me personally since if retains the USN type panic spread, Saipan would be an ideal hit and run carrier)

Thanks in advance.

I don't know but here are the values

Saipan 

Torpedo spreading
  auto drop 26
  auto, while countering 98
  manual drop 9
  manual, while countering 98

Ranger

Torpedo spreading
  auto drop 45
  manual drop 26
  manual, while countering

Hiryu

Torpedo spreading
  auto drop 26
  manual drop 9
  manual, while countering 98
Edited by Darth_Glorious

783 posts
4,819 battles

Now that I take a close look. Each squadron of the Saipan has a reserve of two squadrons, which is the same for Ranger(non-stock) and Hiryuu(non-stock). With the squadrons themselves being composed of T9 planes to be comparable to Hiryuu's, I think WG has outdone themselves in how they balanced this T7 premium. Just like any other CV where a very skilled player would make a huge difference while a bad player not being much of a problem, Saipan has that amplified to a certain extent due to its special characteristics of plane count and better speed.

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles

i heard that there are restrictions on who get to buy the saipan and who dont, like you have to have a CV track record of how many games or whatnot, has anyone else heard of this? and if this is true, what are the exact requirements

because i REALLY dont want a newbie at the helm of a saipan on our team while the other team's CV player reckt us with impunity...

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

i heard that there are restrictions on who get to buy the saipan and who dont, like you have to have a CV track record of how many games or whatnot, has anyone else heard of this? and if this is true, what are the exact requirements

because i REALLY dont want a newbie at the helm of a saipan on our team while the other team's CV player reckt us with impunity...

ah, if it's true, shame on me

haven't played CV since Open Beta :teethhappy:

even though i was a CV player:hiding:

783 posts
4,819 battles

ah, if it's true, shame on me

haven't played CV since Open Beta :teethhappy:

even though i was a CV player:hiding:

I was reading some threads on the other server forums and I came across a supertester commenting that the requirement thing may be discarded and Saipan will be like any of the usual premium where anybody can buy it. I think it's from the NA forum. Well, I'm neutral to the topic myself.

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,562 posts

WTF?

no prem ship has, or will have this restriction.