Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
drakon233

help for new fletcher player

12 comments in this topic

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,569 battles

so i'm at a dilemma here, i just got the fletcher and i cant decide which lv3 captain skill to put on her

torp acceleration

pro: sweet lighting fast 71kt torps that do massive damage

con: only 8km range on the torp which makes it hard toget in to torping range without getting spotted

extra smoke and AA

pro: i get a extra smoke and AA

con: i could just use the 22.000 upgraded smoke and AA

torp detection

pro: makes IJN DD hunting a whole lot easier

con: not really useful otherwise 

so which one should i pick? i'd love to hear advise and imput

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

I don't grab the skill straight away. While I'm playing few battles I think about which skill will be best for playstyle/suitability for this ship. In this case, haste makes waste- picking the wrong skill may cost you. Have some battles and imagine you have the different skills, how may have they helped you or been useless??

Having said that, i would be tempted to go extra smoke. There will be times you wish you had it. And you can still buy an extra smoke thingo on top of your extra one.. What can be wrong with too much smoke?

Torp detection, IMO DDs are maneuverable enough to avoid  torps at standard spotting range. None of my DDs have it, i have never thought it usefull for a DD.( I may be wrong, one day i must try this skill to find out)

Torp acceleration, this is one you have to think about..the guns on US DDs are their sharpest teeth- torps seem a secondary weapon. Do you really want to shorten their range??  Having shorter range torps will never save your life, unlike the other 2 skills ..

Good luck.

783 posts
4,824 battles

It's either Torp Accel or Superintendent. As stated above, DDs are maneuverable enough to not need an increase of 25% of torp detection.

I'm personally more in favor of superintendent since extra smoke and boost is always welcome. That and I don't know if the Fletcher 'needs' the extra 5 knots on her torps(not to mention the loss of range which is sometimes frustrating when the target is on retreat).

I always feel relieved when MM gives me a Fletcher on my team and upset when it's on the other team. I dunno, I just have some kind of "respect" for the ship. Hope to see you on my side :D

Beta Tester
605 posts
6,777 battles

I take Superintendent and premium smoke on my Fletcher and Benson, smoke will save your life and the more you can have it available when you need it the less damage you'll take and the more damage you'll put out.

I wouldn't take torp accel on my Fletcher even if it cost zero points - those 10.5 km torps really increase your options, and 66 kts is still very fast.

The Fletcher is an excellent ship, although I think I'll be playing my Udaloi (another fun and excellent ship) more when radar comes out, the high tier US DD's are going to be crushed by it, and they are already high risk ships.

451 posts
6,946 battles

Torp acceleration is one thing you don't want on the fletcher. You can take it when you get to the gearing. Bu using acceleration u have to overextend and sometimes even commit in order to launch torpedoes.

The gearing can utilize it because it has the range to throw its torps down at a safe distance after the reduction (12km final) without committing to enemy dd or even airplane range

Your choices then boil down to

1) vigilance - those who say this skill is poor for usn dds really must play them sparingly. Shima, gearing, fletcher and kagero B torps really difficult to dodge, especially when they come in a thick wave. Having the extra window will save your butt many times and is a highly competitive skill for any surface ship with the meta now.

2) superintendant - used for harrassing enemy cruisers and battleships in offensive smokes. The extra charge can help. However u can perform as a torpedo boat easily, therefore smoke is less used at your tier and up. Still worth consideration for escaping dense plane drops with extra aa charges

The other skilsl give you so little benefit for their point worth it's not worth considering at all

Edited by Kleiss

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,569 battles

well i've played the fletcher for about 10 matches with superintent and i think that it's paying off, having 4 smoke charges(i use prem smoke) is a real help, i would have to agree that torping  from 8km is too risky to invest in for now, but i intend to keep this ship and when i reach 15 points on my perk i'll think about getting the torp acceleration pared with concealment exper because i find myself in fist fights with other DDs too often and having a extra 5kt on the torp seems like a worthwhile investmen

Beta Tester
296 posts
12,511 battles

Vigilance all the way IMO.

-The skill lessens the chance of accidental hits. You need this since you fight other DDs at very close range where you dont have much time to maneuver and torp spreads are tight.

It also helps detect torps flying to the big ships behind you.

- Its a very rare case when you need the 4th smoke, if you really need it you should rethink when and how you use your smoke.

- No modification is needed for (arguably) the best-in-game torp. 8km torp is a little short to force the enemy to avoid them.

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,569 battles

humm, i play more as a front liner that's covering our IJN DDs, and getting a few torp runs in between, for IJN DDs, unless they charge me and try to cram torps down my throat, i dont really see the point in investing in this skill, but i will go try it in PT when it opens again to get a perspective on how that would affect my gameplay

Beta Tester
296 posts
12,511 battles

I dont wanna offend you but how can you not have 15 points at tier 9?

Not having Concealment Expert is outright unsatisfactory as a tier 9 DD.

Your heavy reliance on smoke should change once you get CE.

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,569 battles

No offence taken, i'm training 2 USN DD captains, the other one is on Benson which i want to keep for rank and both have 13 points. actually,Fletcher's captain was from Mahan so that's why i dont have CE yet

Sign in to follow this