Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SZYZWY

Just a query on the T8 CVs

6 comments in this topic

783 posts
4,829 battles

The T7->T8 CV progression of either Ranger -> Lexington and Hiryuu -> Shoukaku is the only part of the CV tree for both nations that plane capacity isn't increased(as far as I remember).

Ranger(73 units) -> Lexington (72 units)

Hiryuu(72 units) -> Shoukaku(72 units)

[As of now, Lex gets the 1000lb upgrade for Dive Bombers while Shoukaku can gets a better than usual increase in torp bomber survivability(even though it brings them just on the same level of survivability seen from T8 planes) ]

I just want to ask why both the lex and the skk don't have greater than 72 units of planes given that they both could carry more historically?

As for why I'm actually asking that question, I just find it funny while reading the short descriptions on both ships. The Lex description 'implies' a larger air group than Ranger while the SKK description literally states a larger air group than the Hiryuu. I wasn't playing during CBT and stuff so was there a time that their plane capacities were higher/lower since the descriptions were as such and would like to ask about that as well.

Edit: Fixed some stuff

Edited by SZYZWY

[BLUMR]
1,134 posts
1,377 battles

There was a loadout reshuffle sometime just before OBT IIRC but I can't remember if aircraft capacity was changed as well.

That being said it was probably a balance reason to keep the same number aircraft from 7-8.

359 posts
2,819 battles

> Shoukaku is the only part of the CV tree for both nations that plane capacity isn't increased

Langley 30 upgrade to

Bogue 28 LOL

probably a balance reason 

Agree

btw Hosho had 15 in real life but 24 in game

History<<game

I did see a thread asking if upgrade to Shokaku is really an upgrade, or worth it

Answer

Hiryu seem to be stopping point for IJN CV unless you plan to get Taihou and Hakuryu

783 posts
4,829 battles

> Shoukaku is the only part of the CV tree for both nations that plane capacity isn't increased

Langley 30 upgrade to

Bogue 28 LOL

probably a balance reason 

Agree

btw Hosho had 15 in real life but 24 in game

History<<game

I did see a thread asking if upgrade to Shokaku is really an upgrade, or worth it

Answer

Hiryu seem to be stopping point for IJN CV unless you plan to get Taihou and Hakuryu

On the Langley -> Bogue thing... ah I forgot that it was changed in the recent patch. Langley had 24 when I was still in my Hosho.

The Hosho to 24 plane capacity was for balance I totally agree.

I personally don't see much of an issue if both Lex and SKK had 78-ish planes for example just to show the the tier progression usually had a plane capacity increase since they both could hold that much, but that's just me.

Just asking if it was different before since reading the descriptions does bother me a little (autism I guess).

As for if the Shoukaku was worth an upgrade, I'd say it is. The TBs(upgraded) on Hiryuu has survivability of that with T6 plane while the Shoukaku's TBs(upgraded is equivalent to that of a usual T8 plane. Since TBs are the main damage source of IJN CVs, I'd say it's worth it.

359 posts
2,819 battles

On the Langley -> Bogue thing... ah I forgot that it was changed in the recent patch. Langley had 24 when I was still in my Hosho.'

I played USN CV October-november last year.  Langley has 24 as stock but 30 as upgrade (like now).Any IJN did not get plane with hull. USN did.

I've never play anything before open beta though.

As for if the Shoukaku was worth an upgrade, I'd say it is

But you will now have to face a foe a tier higher and face tier t10s  I have no experience on the matter though. Just speak on paper

Edited by Hero_of_Zero

783 posts
4,829 battles

On the Langley -> Bogue thing... ah I forgot that it was changed in the recent patch. Langley had 24 when I was still in my Hosho.'

I played USN CV October-november last year.  Langley has 24 as stock but 30 as upgrade (like now).Any IJN did not get plane with hull. USN did.

I've never play anything before open beta though.

As for if the Shoukaku was worth an upgrade, I'd say it is

But you will now have to face a foe a tier higher and face tier t10s  I have no experience on the matter though. Just speak on paper

Thanks for enlightening me on the Langley. I always thought it was always 24 before. I plan to chase after the USN CVs next when I get out of my slump AND get enough free time.

For the Shoukaku however, I kind of based my opinion only on the Hiryuu comparison but yeah, you do have a point that the possibility of facing T10s with T8 planes isn't a fun proposition. That and the Lex 1000 pounders hurt like a truck(they kind of are trucks), so facing them isn't also enticing.

(Personally, I've got to persevere with that since I'm gunning for Taiho before I end my grind of the IJN CV line)

Sign in to follow this