Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ArtickWarspite

Sharing the Experience

18 comments in this topic

156 posts
3,374 battles

Hi everyone, 

I've been playing WoWS for a couple of months now. Must say I'm loving it and am really stoked a game like this exists. 

I'd like to make note of a few things I've experienced playing this game- with the ships used and what would be nice to see added;

I get sunk more than I sink. Probably put the ratio at 3-1 at this point..

At present the highest ship I have in port is Tier IV (Wyoming/Phoenix). Reading through the forums and reading about other peoples experiences, the dispersion of the shots fired is mildly annoying. More often than not you have a juicy target lined up and the range is good, only to find some of your rounds land in front and some land behind the target and none on it. That happens nearly every time I play. Any suggestions?

And why is it sometimes when you fire, they dispersion is really good then the next shot from the same position and from the same gun it is all over the place?

More often than not, once you are in a prime firing position, and are about to deal some huge damage, as soon as you fire- someone else destroys the target. If I had a dollar for every time that happened, there's be a lot more premium ships in my inventory. ;p

A one on one standoff with a BB against a destroyer does not go in the BB's favour...

Why are destroyer captains so good? They utilise smoke brilliantly, dodge everything you throw at them easily and you don't spot their torpedoes until it's too late to move out of the way. And once you get close enough to use any secondary armament on them, there is always torpedoes in the water. 

It's impressive that there are so many ships available- especially lesser known ones from the early Dreadnought days, but is it possible to add more earlier types? Cruisers & BB's from the late 19th & early 20th century would be a lot of fun! And is there any chance of the Royal Navy making an appearance in this game? Surely with the vast array of ships over the last 120 years, it would add a lot more to the game?

Overall I'm having great fun playing this game, and I can't wait to see how it develops. :)

580 posts
1,587 battles

Hey there! Glad to know your having a blast with WoWS as per your queries I'll let you in on what I know so far.

1. ) More often than not you have a juicy target lined up and the range is good, only to find some of your rounds land in front and some land behind the target and none on it. That happens nearly every time I play. Any suggestions?

We have this thing called RNG, not only does it affect accuracy but also the damage done per hit... If the shot does land let's hope that it deals a Citadel Hit or a decent 5-8K damage... Unlike the other classes, BB is the most dependent on RNG(in my opinion they're like floating slot machines) because of the reload rate, each shot has to count. My suggestion is not to fire a full salvo unless you're really sure that it's gonna hit. In BBs there is such a range where the dispersion isn't quite felt like around 15KM and nearer. Any shots made farther than that, don't hold your breath...

2. ) And why is it sometimes when you fire, they dispersion is really good then the next shot from the same position and from the same gun it is all over the place?

Once again, RNG. Just be patient and smart when approaching the battle that you get within 15KM without putting yourself in danger. If there are enemies that you can hit outside that range then fire one gun at a time so as to conserve ammo while closing the distance. There's a lot of waiting involved in BB play, that's why you get the huge HP Pool and excellent armor. Oh and another thing about armor, always ALWAYS present yourself as "Angled" to further lessen the damage dealt from anyone using AP rounds against you (like other BBs at most).

3. ) More often than not, once you are in a prime firing position, and are about to deal some huge damage, as soon as you fire- someone else destroys the target. If I had a dollar for every time that happened, there's be a lot more premium ships in my inventory. ;p

That's normal, not much we can do about that. The thing is, Damage Dealing is far more rewarding (more XP, more creds)than securing many kills in a match. Although a Kill is a nice bonus but if you deal a lot of damage you can end up being Top1 at the Post Battle results...

4. ) A one on one standoff with a BB against a destroyer does not go in the BB's favour...

It never does, muahahahahahahahahahaha... The game is based off a "Rock-Paper-Scissors" kind of mechanic. So let me lay it down for you to make things clear... DDs beat BBs, BBs beat CA/CLs, CA/CLs beat DDs. Although BBs can beat other BBs, it's not quite as efficient (takes quite a while because of RNG and slow reloads) so a DDs torpedoes is more than effective a tool to take out a BB and since BBs are big and slow, they're the perfect target for torpedoes. CVs beat everyone, and everyone can beat CVs just to add.

A fundemental thought to consider, ship and air launch torpedo attacks need three things to succeed 1.) An enemy that's UNAWARE 2.) That's travelling in a STRAIGHT LINE 3.) At CONSTANT SPEED. If you suspect there are DDs in the area, I suggest you start turning/zigzagging and vary your speed. You'll be amazed how this throws off the entire incoming torp salvo even in a BB...

Although I do launch my torpedoes at bit ahead of the enemy or a bit behind to take account for any course changes but that requires luck, a crap ton of luck.

5. ) Why are destroyer captains so good? They utilise smoke brilliantly, dodge everything you throw at them easily and you don't spot their torpedoes until it's too late to move out of the way. And once you get close enough to use any secondary armament on them, there is always torpedoes in the water. 

That's why it's so important for CA/CLs to accompany BBs. Having a friendly cruiser in proximity prevents/lessens the chances of DDs getting the jump on you. Cruisers have the firepower to effectively deal with DDs with ease and the Hydroacoustic consumable makes for early detection of torpedoes in the water and DDs in smoke. If you're a in BB, stick close to Cruisers, doing so will also give you an AA screen since Cruisers have decent AA especially USN Cruisers.

Another tip is to launch Catapult aircraft (be it fighters, or spotters) they can actually give out a nearby enemy DDs position away.

6.) Royal Navy making an appearance in this game?

Patience friend... Patience... They will come, they will come.

Edited by Kreigg

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

You still at tier 4, that are still developing tier... the fun will get better at tier 5 and 6. and if you like to play as BB, then i suggenst you get Kongo. the range is good, the speed is nice. 

anyway, i kinda wondering why you complain about DD only... no hate for CV? or you havent met them much? LOL.... BB enemy is torpedos... either from DD, or from a Torpedo Bomber from a CV.....

how to survive? like Kreigg  said... go with other CL 

451 posts
6,946 battles

Destroyer captains are generally better because they can easily escape even if their attempt fails. Cruisers and battleships have a harder time doing that, having needing to expose their sides if they want to u turn.

From what i see u are at tier 4. The battleships at tier 4 have really bad dispersion. Be patient and wait for the tier 5s.

Vary your speed if u think a destroyer is around. This will throw their torpedoes off aim.

At the highest tier the meta is the same. The battleships struggle to dodge torpedoes (because they come in fusterclucks and are like lasers) even when they're pre-scouted 10km away simply because they're so big and sluggish.

Soon my friend u will encounter the other bane of a battleship and that is an almost undodgable wall of aircraft-dropped torpedoes...

156 posts
3,374 battles

Thanks for the replies! You'll have to excuse my ignorance when I ask what all these acronyms mean such as RNG? I'm guessing CV is a carrier, BB battleships, DD destroyers and CA & CL are heavy and light cruisers?

Aside from that, what you said all makes sense. I do try and adhere to those guidelines, but once the battle starts and everyone goes off and does their thing it's sometimes hard to organise a cohesive defense- especially when you pair up with someone and they go charging in all guns blazing and fall in the first few minutes.

More often than not, you see a situation developing of someone trying to outflank you, and nobody but you are in a position to do anything about it. So yeah swings and roundabouts, but overall you're right, sticking together makes more sense than tearing off on your own. 

I haven't mentioned the Carriers yet as they have not really caused me any problems. 

Yes at the moment I'm probably more suited to BB's. Cruisers do sometimes work for me if I'm patient but it always ends with being targeted by a BB. And as for destroyers- I'm yet to survive a battle in one. Often after deploying smoke and not shooting in order to get close I should be harder to spot- but I'm still hit all the time regardless- am I missing something there?

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

RNG is a system that randomly generate number as our result, if the RNG on yor side, you will get Good damage and good aim, but if Not then your hit will disperse and also even if it hits, it will only score a minimum damage

yeah you guess it right... DD, CL, CA, BB and CV

the problem with teammates not cooperating is happen more and more.. but at lower tier, it happen more often. so bear with it and grind up to tier 5. hopefully you will get people who sick of defeat and start to play as coordinated team

you will find CV hard on tier 5 above though.. so it will be more challanging too...

Survivability of a DD is low, but the ability to scout and capturing base is the highest among all.

example : i play 172 match using a certain DD and only survive 17 times...

BB have the most survivability rate because they can repair themself and add their HP.

Edited by XP_On

460 posts
8,337 battles

As far as getting your shots to hit and do good damage that will come with time and practice. The Wyoming does disperse it's shots a lot, but she has 12 guns so a good salvo should get a few shell hits even at long range. When the enemies get closer she becomes a deadly beast, but of course sometimes the RNG (random number generator) will troll you. The main thing you need to learn with BBs is how to use the AP ammunition to hit citadels. If you make good hits on a citadel you can sink cruisers in a single salvo if they show you their broadside. Again, you will get better with practice and will be soon wrecking enemy ships. If you don't already know about citadels and armour angling I suggest you watch some of IChaseGamings videos or alternatively some of the naval academy videos on the WoWs website.

DDs are extremely dangerous but you can avoid damage by following their advice, that is, change course and speed when you suspect they are about. You'll need to learn situational awareness in the sense that you need to know what's happening around your ship outside of your gun sights. Use the minimap to get an idea of where they are and look out for smoke. Don't stay in binocular view for too long as this will often lead to you missing details as well. Also avoid areas where a destroyer might ambush you such as too near an island. The best defence is a friendly CL/CA or DD nearby.

If a DD is close enough that you can spot it maneuver to avoid torpedoes as if they are already in the water. If you also happen to have your main guns pointed at them have a shot at them with whatever you have loaded. You'd be surprised how much damage even AP can do to a DD (although HE is a better choice), again with practice you'll hit them more often. I've sunk plenty of DDs doing this, but it's a risky business, so make your survival a higher priority. It's also a good idea to encourage others to shoot at the DD, or at least point out where they are to team mates in case they are unaware.

As for sailing a DD yourself, you'll find many people can hit you if you sail in a straight line, so the simple tip is to erratically zig-zag to throw off their aim. You'll still get hit, but should hopefully dodge at least some of the incoming fire. Reduce your profile by sailing at an angle or away from an enemy and you'll further reduce the damage taken. I've noted you're playing USN DDs which work best with a particular play style. They're good at hunting other DDs and torpedo ambushes from behind islands, but can't really do longer range torpedo attacks effectively.

Also it's a good idea to have the situational awareness and last stand captain skills to let you know when you're spotted and give you a better chance of escape when you're hit. Cruisers see you as food, so best avoid them if you can.

But most importantly have fun, practice and learn from your mistakes, watching other players can help. You'll get better with time, so don't stress too much about it.

[TF-16]
38 posts
844 battles

Try look up on YouTube. There are many guides you can learn and understand regarding WoW ships. :look:

580 posts
1,587 battles

As for Destroyers- I'm yet to survive a battle in one. Often after deploying smoke and not shooting in order to get close I should be harder to spot- but I'm still hit all the time regardless- am I missing something there?

Did you try slowing down or stopping while the smoke cloud is still being deployed? First of all you need the Situational Awareness skill to indicate if the enemy ships and aircraft can actually see you.

Normally I check if I'm spotted first and if I am I have to go into "unspotted" status... Now that I'm invisible I slow down to 1/4 speed or stop then deploy smoke and fire away. Whilst firing I alternate going back and forth at slow speeds since observant enemies will have a good idea where you are by focusing on the muzzle flashes from your guns and shoot there with a good chance to hit, I've taken many DDs out that stay still and fire.

Also, did you turn your AA armament OFF? You can turn your AA ON/OFF with the "P" key. Regardless if your in smoke and your AA is firing at enemy aircraft above you, you will be spotted. Fundamental DD operation encourages you to turn off your AA to not expose your position to enemy aircraft.

Edited by Kreigg

156 posts
3,374 battles

Thanks for all the advice. Situation awareness is something I need to work on and thinking more about the best way to act in each respective ship. 

I've watched some videos and learned quite a bit. Especially about aiming and leading,- namely having the aiming line on the waterline as opposed to amidships. That might help reduce the amount of shells that fall short or overshoot in the same salvo.

Is there a full set of instructions that tell you which explain all the keyboard functions etc? I feel there's a few things you can do that I'm not aware of...

580 posts
1,587 battles

I'd like to make a special mention to the "Lock Guns at Bearing" which is done by pressing "CTRL + X" which locks the guns at a bearing relative to your ship. This control is very useful for ships with slow turning guns. How I use them is like when I know that I will be doing a full 180 course change, 1.) I have to initially lock my guns in the position I want to be in after the turn 2.) Make the turn while the guns are turning 3.) Once the turn is complete, my guns are either ready or almost at the position I need them to be... Once that's done PRESS X to release the lock

"Lock Guns to Map Sector" also works the same way with "SHIFT + X" but the guns are locked to whatever portion of the map you are currently looking at so no matter where you turn, your guns are gonna turn to keep themselves trained on that position on the map.

This table below is taken from the American Forums, please peruse at your leisure...

MOVE_LEFT A Turn to Port 
MOVE_RIGHT D Turn to Starboard
    Release the A or the D key and the rudder will return to amid ships.

CRUISE_SPEED_UP  W W and S are your engine telegraph keys. Use to set Full, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4, Stop, Back commands
CRUISE_SPEED_DOWN S  

CRUISE_ANGLE_RIGHT  E Hold starboard turn, press twice for hold hard starboard.
CRUISE_ANGLE_LEFT Q Hold port turn, press twice for hold hard port.
CRUISE_ANGLE_0  Undefined Steady so, aka rudder amid ships. The command is currently unavailable in settings.  Tap rudder keys or tap E or Q to restore midships.

SWITCH_ATBA_AIRDEFENSE                         P Toggles Secondaries on/off. The command is currently unavailable in settings.

ART_CAMERA    [shift] Toggles zoom to full binoculars and no zoom
AHEAD_CAMERA                                       V Does not seem to function
TRACK_OBJECT_CAMERA                                         Z Camera follows currently selected flight of planes, shells on the way, torpedoes on the way; an amusing distraction.
MAP_CAMERA_MOVE [Right Mouse][Left Ctrl]  

Zoom level [scroll Mouse Wheel]  

SHOOT [Left Mouse]  
                                                          Click fire one gun
  Double Click fire all guns that can bear on target
                                                          Click and hold fire all guns that can bear on target in ripple fire.

[Ctrl][Left Mouse] Sets priority target for secondaries and AA

CINEMATIC SHOOT  [Middle Mouse] fire one gun and shift to shell tracking camera.  Useful to establish lead required.

ACTION [Right Mouse] Overview mode. Third person view zoomed out behind ship. Moving mouse rotates camera heading. Return to previous zoomed ziew upon release.  Guns and torpedoes do not change their orientation in this mode.

These keys will switch between AP shells, HE shells and torpedoes

ARTILLERY_AMMO_0 1 Selects primaries High Explosive (detonates on impact)
ARTILLERY_AMMO_1  2 Selects primaries Armored Piercing (penetrates armor and explodes inside hull, maybe)
TORPEDOES_ANGLE 3 Selects torpedoes and Alternates between two torpedo spreads

FIXING_TARGET_POSITION X Acquires/Releases guns target lock. Turns on lead assist for torpedoes.

ABSOLUTE_GUNS_LOCK [Left Shift] X Locks guns on cursor location relative to the map.  Guns will turn to keep lock.
RELATIVE_GUNS_LOCK [Left Ctrl] X Locks guns on cursor location relative to your ship. Guns will not rotate after they have moved to this position

TACTICAL_MAP M  

AUTOPILOT FIRST WAY POINT [Left Mouse]  
AUTOPILOT Subsequent WAY POINT [Left Shift][Left Mouse] Five way points permitted. More may be added as the initial ones are used.

Aircraft Carriers    
CARRIER_SELECT 1  
SQUADRON_0 2  
SQUADRON_1 3  
SQUADRON_2 4  
SQUADRON_3 5  
SQUADRON_4 6  
SQUADRON_5 7  
SQUADRON_6 8  
SQUADRON_7 9  
SQUADRON_8 0  
LAND_LAUNCH F  
ORDER_AIRPLANES [Left Mouse]  
DESELECT_AIRPLANES [Right Mouse]  
MAP_PLANE_ORDER_MOVE [Left Mouse]  
SELECT_NEXT_AIRPLANE [Left Ctrl] [Tab]  
SELECT_ALL_AIRPLANES [Left Ctrl] A  

MAP_SHOW_PLANES [  
MAP_SHOW_DEAD ]  
MAP_RECT_ATTENTION [Left Mouse] or [Left Ctrl] [Left Mouse]  

for mini-map    

MAP_SCALE_PLUS "= or NUMPAD +  
MAP_SCALE_MINUS "- or NUMPAD -  

FREE_CURSOR [Left Ctrl]   

HELP F1 You must hold the F1 key and use your mouse to select one of the other three help screens.

GAME_STATS [Tab] Gives you a list of players and shows if they are sunk or afloat and kills in current battle
STATS [Left Ctrl] [Tab]   

ICONS [Left Alt] or [Left Alt][NumPad Enter] Alternative Battle Interface Mode. Shows player Name, Hit points, Range, Shell Travel Time as an icon above ships.  [Alt]Appears while Alt is held down. [Alt][NumPad Enter] Toggle, press [Enter] again to cancel chat message. Can be permanently turned on in Settings Controls.

CENTERCAMERA [space] Centers the camera on the carrier, when in carrier plan view.

Consumables    

Consumable 1  R Damage Control Party, puts out fires, stops flooding, repairs damaged modules (but not destroyed modules)

Consumable 2 T Destroyer > Smoke   |   Battle Ship > Repair Party (restores some lost hit points ~20%)    |   Cruiser > Protective Barrage if equipped with two or more multipurpose guns

Consumable 3 Y Battle Ship, Cruiser  > Scout Plane if equipped.  Players have no control of the scout, although we used to. Grrrrr. Destroyer >  Speed Boost

Consumable 4 U  

Consumable 5 I Not implemented

HIDE INTERFACE [Left Ctrl] G Hides the Hud.  Good for fancy screen shots.

CMD_ATTACK_TARGET [F3] Highlight Target for Allies, found in quick messages of controls settings. This marks the enemy under your cursor with an inverted caret icon and sends the "priority target" message.

This command is hard coded C Manually switch camera between main battery groups.

156 posts
3,374 battles

Whoa... I was only aware of about 30% of the controls on that list. Think I'm going to have to spend some time practicing.. :)

Thanks very much Kreigg, that's hugely helpful. And thanks for bringing my attention to the "Lock Guns at Bearing", as every time I zoom out or turn, I was recalculating everything.

Will let you know how it all goes...

580 posts
1,587 battles

Whoa... I was only aware of about 30% of the controls on that list. Think I'm going to have to spend some time practicing.. :)

Thanks very much Kreigg, that's hugely helpful. And thanks for bringing my attention to the "Lock Guns at Bearing", as every time I zoom out or turn, I was recalculating everything.

Will let you know how it all goes...

Yeah the Lock Guns at Bearing is also useful that way, by locking your guns first you can zoom out and look around giving you a broader idea of the situation of the surrounding area preventing ship collisions, island collisions, seeing incoming aircraft, and the opportunistic DD (which that would be me :teethhappy: keeping to my regular diet of BBs)...

Glad to be of assistance, if you're up to it add me up on the chat and we could div sometime and exchange notes...

156 posts
3,374 battles

Ha funny you should mention that.. I happened to be so busy last time fighting off a BB & DD I drove right into an island. But I did manage to take out the DD and severely damage the BB before going under.

Thanks, sounds good. But ah... you might have to explain how I add you on chat... :I

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

Ha funny you should mention that.. I happened to be so busy last time fighting off a BB & DD I drove right into an island. But I did manage to take out the DD and severely damage the BB before going under.

Thanks, sounds good. But ah... you might have to explain how I add you on chat... :I

do you mind if i add you?

580 posts
1,587 battles

:amazed:...

1.) Click on the teeny orange box on the lower left corner of the port view screen

2.) Click on "+Add Player"

3.) Then type the name of the player you wish to add then look for his/her name in the "Search Results"

4.) Hover over his/her name and click on the add contact icon OR Right-click on the player's name and select "Add Contact"... :honoring:

There ya go! Hope this will improve your WoWS experience by enhancing it with it's social functions...

[TF-16]
38 posts
844 battles

Actually in-game or at port, you can press F2 to view the full range of controls and action keys.

Sign in to follow this