You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
vejae

Fires, damage by size of shell/bomb, not size of ship hit!

30 comments in this topic

2 posts
1,784 battles

To many times are big ships burning to death from a small ship getting 10 or 30 hits.

I don't mind them hiding (dd's), or long range (cruisers), but the damage that a small shell can do with fires is out of proportion when hitting a big ship.

Idea, small shell dose small fire, maybe 1/3  and 3 small fires = 1 medium fire.

Medium shell 2/3 damage, 3 = large fire,

and large shell =large fire.

Super Tester
1,634 posts
4,639 battles

Then battleships would dominate over the other ship classes.

Although that being said, it seems like the change would work in your interest anyway.

67 posts
2,760 battles

for small boats like CA that can fire bullets with a barrage HE

could cause a fire in the fire wows big ship like BB and BB CV was easily able to cope with the damage repaired and controlparty kit, hit points will be reduced continuously if the fire burning does not arise with 1 pluru but if skil his commander whether it would be easy

meaning that the number of large size does not affect the right to burn the most important goals and skil commander

Edited by mamnu_matsada12

199 posts
6,037 battles

If you said bigger shell = bigger flames, then Battleships will burned every other ships to death with it.

You should said, bigger shell = higher chance to start fire. But, Battleships doesn't need fire to destroy other ships, 4 HE shells are enough to destroy a Destroyer or make a Light Cruiser staying away from you.

67 posts
2,760 battles

If you said bigger shell = bigger flames, then Battleships will burned every other ships to death with it.

You should said, bigger shell = higher chance to start fire. But, Battleships doesn't need fire to destroy other ships, 4 HE shells are enough to destroy a Destroyer or make a Light Cruiser staying away from you.

and do not forget the bullets HE can trigger detonation :B

892 posts
7,853 battles

The way I look at it, bigger ships have more "space" for the fire to rapidly spread to, resulting in higher/more fire damage compared to smaller ships

580 posts
1,587 battles

The way I look at it, bigger ships have more "space" for the fire to rapidly spread to, resulting in higher/more fire damage compared to smaller ships

This is how I picture it too... The way HE shells start fires is by triggering an "igniting factor" on board the ship (like ammo boxes, wooden decks, etc.) and the flames just catching on to whatever... The bigger the ship the bigger the flame, the bigger the flame, the bigger the damage...

199 posts
6,037 battles

anddo not forgetthe bulletsHEcan triggerdetonation :B

Detonation with HE shells? Possible on enemies with light armor (Destroyers, Cruisers), especially if you are on Battleship. Impossible on enemies with heavy armor (Battleships), you'll need AP for those guys.

575 posts
5,354 battles

Anyways fire damage mechanism should be adjust at some point, which i dont know when and how they going to make it possible :P

The damage can possibly be change by 25 to 30% per tick; however, I think the best way to help mitigate all these fires is to change the fire % chance. Instead of % chance per shell, make it per turret volley for all multi-barreled turrets. If the rounds of one turret hit, it gets the full % chance to cause a fire. For single turrets, reduce the fire chance by a third. HE spam to cause fire is a lazy mechanic. The majority of players rely on this mechanic instead of using AP when using such a round is more advantageous than HE (full exposed broadside or very soft angle). HE is best used when a ship's HP is low much like in WoT. Right now, the HE is the magical bullet that gives the shooter increased damage stats to bolster their XP and credits at the end of battle.

Another method would to make areas already hit by a fire and said fire was allowed to burn itself out, said area is immune to fire for the rest of the battle. I think this would be the best way to help mitigate HE spamming and damage. Then players would (read should) be more judicious about how and when they fire HE on a ship, especially a BB. If a BB is lit up with 4 fires at the beginning of the battle and survives it then no fires would start by HE shells. The only caveat to this would be bombs. They have better penetrating power since they are designed to penetrate armored ships like BBs.

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Had same proposal as this and had to drop it, the thing is.... Battleship will mostly benefit from this one against other ship classes, because of the proposed 'large flame' on other classes. Next is, Battleship has higher fire chance (I recall 25%~30%) but compensated by the wider shell salvo spread & the long reload.

I understand the annoyance of Battleship getting 'set on fire' by enemy Destroyer in 20 or 30 HE shells but that's statistically correct as destroyer's HE shell has lower fire chance (I recall 7%~9%). Although you wanted the fire set on the Battleships by Destroyers to have smaller flame instead of current in-game flame.

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

my dudpitz has taken on several cruisers at close quarters recently, involving the use of my skilled up secondary batteries.

now, I would expect to be able to smash a cruiser showing me its full broadside at 5kms as i put a full salvo of AP into its hull.

then i see the damage indicator rise from the enemy, 3k dmg with AP!.

then I die by fire and HE spam while I wait for my precious reload.

then my torpedoes hit them and they die too, but the damage is already done to my team.

this is pretty much the scenario of every encounter. So, what this teaches me, is I'm wasting skills and mods on secondary armament buffs, because once a dd or cruiser gets close enough, I'm going to lose. I can't remember the last time I fought a BB with my secondaries, it was several patches ago, and very very rare.

460 posts
8,337 battles

I suggested this ages ago, but with the addition that all ships would have a chance each shot to "upgrade" a fire to a larger one. So a small ship could still start a large fire with sustained shell hits, just it takes more effort. Additionally fires could shrink gradually rather that being suddenly put out (except when the repair consumable is used).

The stupid HE spam mechanic is encouraging people to play outside of their roles, DD's and CA's shouldn't be burning BBs down they should be hunting other DD's and CA's, providing AA cover or slinging torpedoes towards the BB's. I've seen it too many times, some silly cruiser spamming HE at a BB whilst there are DD's everywhere making it a sea of torpedoes. Often the cruiser gets killed by the BB (or torpedoes) in the process and we'd maybe kill one BB whilst their destroyers decimate everything in range.

Despite the fact that BBs have an exceptionally high chance of fire with HE, no one in their right mind would use it all the time, AP is just so much better. Also if the large fire were equivalent to what we have now, the RoF of the smaller ships will likely create a large fire in the same time frame as the BB.

It's not like they [DDs and CAs] don't have other options for taking out a BB, and the suggestion would still allow fire and HE to damage BBs. I suspect a bunch of HE spam cry babies couldn't deal with having to do their actual role instead of shooting at the easy to hit BBs, hence the complaints about any such suggestion.

892 posts
7,853 battles

Why not just reduce the cool down time on the repair consumable.

This is supposed to be addressed by players investing in Captain skills. We have Basics of Survivability (1 point) which reduces time of fires, flooding etc, passively. Then, you also have Fire Prevention (2 points) which reduces the risk of fire (though I never bother with this as the 2 points are better invested on other skills). High Alert  (3 points) reduces the reload time of damage control party consumable by 10% and lastly, Jack of All Trades (5 points) reduces reload time of all consumables by 15%.

Additionally, we also have ship upgrades in the form of Damage Control System mod 1 and 2.

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,938 battles

This is supposed to be addressed by players investing in Captain skills. We have Basics of Survivability (1 point) which reduces time of fires, flooding etc, passively. Then, you also have Fire Prevention (2 points) which reduces the risk of fire (though I never bother with this as the 2 points are better invested on other skills). High Alert  (3 points) reduces the reload time of damage control party consumable by 10% and lastly, Jack of All Trades (5 points) reduces reload time of all consumables by 15%.

Additionally, we also have ship upgrades in the form of Damage Control System mod 1 and 2.

Yes there are commander skills, but sadly they are a waste of time as there are better skills than "jack of all trades" and "fire prevention", which doesn't really seem to work anyways, as I've tried it and still end up with 3 fires burring away on a battleship.

Plus any skill that allows you to shoot your Guns or AA faster and longer etc you will always take them over other skills u have said.

-5 and -3 to flooding and fire chance again is a very low number and doesn't seem to make any difference at all.

I sail around in my Kiev and just HE spam any BB I see at range, knowing how easy it is for me to hit him and set him on fire, but yet it is very hard for the BB to hit a DD at 10km range or more, yes it can be done but a good DD user will make the shells miss 80% of the time..

At the moment it seems to me that the only way to play a BB is to camp at the back of the map again and snipe at long range, as any attacking BB will be dealt with pretty quickly.

Back in closed beta testing everyone would complain about BB players sitting and camping at the back of the map and sniping, but from the state of the game now that's the only way to survive.

Maybe what they need to do is move "demolition expert" to a lvl 5 commander skill and jack of all trades to lvl 4 commander skill.

Then that way cruiser and DD players will have to think if they want to set fires or have concealment as a level 5 commander skill, which in turn wont make DD so OP. Yes DD are a little over the top with setting fires on BBs, DDs are spose to be using torps to get kills and not fires. Yes I'm a good DD player and love setting fires on BB with my gun and watching them burn, I also hate being in a BB and getting set on fire as often as one does.

I think this would be better balanced  for BBs in some ways, but cruisers and DD are still able to use Demolition expert if they so wish at level 5 commander skill.

Edited by yobbo1972

1,107 posts
7,844 battles

Personaly I think, ignite same tier BB on fire were kinda hard. Even with a point of Demolition expert. not to mention HE hitting belt armor dont produce fire

The Problem were Lower and Higher Tier Fire Chance IMO

Lower Tier or Equivalent tier ship were having hard time Igniting  a battleship.

And 2 Tier higher Cruiser will most likely burn people to death with their 2nd Salvo.

BB Player need to pay some respect to player driving higher tier cruiser, esp 2 or 3 tier higher

Though imo, the scale tiering need to be adjusted,

Edited by humusz

[ATLAS]
Beta Tester
464 posts
9,884 battles

perhaps maybe, having smaller caliber HE shell produce fire that won't last as long as the higher caliber one?

Like maybe base 20 seconds for below 140, 30 seconds for 140-155, 40 seconds for 200-230, and 50 seconds for the battleships

1,126 posts

IMO

WG don't need to do anything with fire system at all!!

what they really need to do is... make skill/upgrade that relate to fire preventing to have more visible result!!

e.g.

skill that make ship completely immune to fire for 3~5 min 'after' fire has been extinguish.

or

skill that halve damage from fire.

it can be tier 4 or 5 skill, like... ultimate survival skill for BB.

why? every BB player know that what most frustrated about fire is right after fire has been extinguish... here come another new fire!? WTF!?

Alpha Tester
184 posts
2,083 battles

Low caliber shells have to have some way to do damage, else only BB's would rule as they can pen less armored ships more easily. Other ships would struggle using AP if HE shells did not set fires. It would also be difficult to kill DD's as AP just goes through doing minimal damage.

Is HE unbalanced, depends on which ship you are in and which ships you are trying to counter.