Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Coburn

Question about the strafing run on CV planes...

9 comments in this topic

103 posts
3,940 battles

Okay, I'm make this short. I'm playing my Zuihou carrier and I have 1 squadron of Fighters, 2 Torps, and one Bomber. I notice my teammate, who's playing their Ryuujou, is under fire with the enemy planes (same Ryuujou / Zuihou CVs as our team has). So, thinking I'll kill a bunch of enemy planes that are eating his planes for breakfast, I hold down ALT + click above where the enemy planes are, and my squadron does a strafing run - completely mowing down the numbers of the planes (although it says I only got 3 shot down). However, his squadron, which had 3 remaining seemed to be affected as well, as they disappeared after my squadron completed the strafing run. I asked them "did I just kill your planes?" but they didn't respond.

I let my planes refuel, etc. And soon after they've done that, my torpedo bombers are getting rekt by the enemy Ryuujou's planes. So I do another strafing run, more kills and it seems my torpedo planes got hit and died... by my own fighters?!

My question is, do i need to be careful when doing a strafing run as if my planes are doing a run, can they shoot down friendly planes? Or will the AI ignore damage from teammate planes? I hate to be doing strafing runs thinking I'm doing good for my team when in fact I'm team killing friendly planes.

Cheers.

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Yes, normal. When the fighters do strafing run, it's pretty much ALL (allied and enemy) planes being targeted for destruction.

Edited by Mingfang47

Super Tester
1,310 posts

any planes (allied/enemy) in the straf path will be subject to RNG roll of destruction (pretty big roll. maybe above 50% kill rate)

Edited by ReNation

783 posts
4,824 battles

I can't count how many times I've sacrificed my own planes (bombers and fighters alike) distracting an enemy fighter to get caught by my own strafing runs. XD

You need to be a little careful with it though, some people won't like getting their own planes get decimated by an ally strafing run. It's enough if it's a justified run (chance to kill more enemy planes than allied ones) otherwise at least apologize if things don't go well enough.

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,704 battles

I like this trap. Give up one squadron to bait 2-3 enemy ones then strafe them all. I know friendly planes are hit but the damage over all to the enemy is greater and will benefit you in the game

103 posts
3,940 battles

Thanks for the advice - I didn't know friendly fire from my own carrier could kill my own planes.

And I'll keep that bait tip in mind - I know I've had a 3 squadron (enemy) on 1 squadron (mine) party a few nights ago and it was annoying the crap out of me.

Sign in to follow this