Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ranork

DD's in General are Broken

45 comments in this topic

[HMASW]
Beta Tester
50 posts
6,069 battles

So a DD can sit in smoke and you can be in a cruiser and its firing at you as you close head on and not be detected firstly that's total BS, if its firing its main armament then like when it fires AA should be visible regardless of sitting in smoke.

Then to make matters worse going full steam ahead for the ram and its able to release its torpedoes which ARM as soon as they hit the water, seriously I am like inches away from the ram and it hits me with its torps just total BS WG.

You need to fix torpedoes in general including air launched ones and give them an arming distance as it is in the real world.

575 posts
5,354 battles

So a DD can sit in smoke and you can be in a cruiser and its firing at you as you close head on and not be detected firstly that's total BS, if its firing its main armament then like when it fires AA should be visible regardless of sitting in smoke.

Then to make matters worse going full steam ahead for the ram and its able to release its torpedoes which ARM as soon as they hit the water, seriously I am like inches away from the ram and it hits me with its torps just total BS WG.

You need to fix torpedoes in general including air launched ones and give them an arming distance as it is in the real world.

The developers require you to suspend your beliefs and real world knowledge/experience to play their Sci-Fi/Fantasy war game.

199 posts
6,037 battles

Firstly, that's the point of smoke, to hide. If you are smart, you can predict where the DD is staying. Besides, if the DD disable the AA, planes flying above her won't detect it anyway (I'm CV captain, so I'm 100% sure).

Secondly, both ship torpedoes and plane torpedoes have arming distance, depends on the torpedoes. If they manage to hit you with it in a very close range, that means they manage to outsmart you.

And thirdly, follow what Eurobeat said. Hydroacoustic is your best friend, at least until radars come.

580 posts
1,587 battles

real world.... real world... REAL WORLD... REAL WORLD... REAL WORLD :teethhappy::teethhappy::teethhappy:

Who charges into smoke clouds anyways!? Oh wait, that would be me... but at least I use my Sonar, be smart when your approaching DDs... I play them too like alot and they're thee most cunning class out there, it's practically they're most useful asset... You just need to keep your wits about and you can outfox even the most experienced DD captains...

[HMASW]
Beta Tester
50 posts
6,069 battles

Oh look, another DD thread

As to OP,

Thou shalt not charge DD in smoke without hydroacoustic equipped

Acoustic aids in the early detection of the torpedoes it does not aid in the detection of a DD sitting in smoke firings its main armament.

My thread seeks to simply point out that it is physically impossible for any ship to remain hidden whilst firing any type of ordinance be it AA or Main Armament.

My point is if you can be detected whilst firing AA then the same should certainly hold true for Main Armament.

To have a vessel sitting there firing 8 rounds every 10 seconds at you whilst remaining hidden is just plain wrong.

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,828 posts
4,103 battles

If this was real world you would be in port for 6 months arguing with the wife before being sent out to sea to do nothing for another 3 months and then maybe engage a ship.

[BLUMR]
1,134 posts
1,377 battles

Acoustic aids in the early detection of the torpedoes it does not aid in the detection of a DD sitting in smoke firings its main armament.

My thread seeks to simply point out that it is physically impossible for any ship to remain hidden whilst firing any type of ordinance be it AA or Main Armament.

My point is if you can be detected whilst firing AA then the same should certainly hold true for Main Armament.

To have a vessel sitting there firing 8 rounds every 10 seconds at you whilst remaining hidden is just plain wrong.

Pretty sure Hydro does work in detecting hidden DDs.

Hydro.png

Besides the point, when a DD is smoked and rain fire on me I:

1. turn around and sail away.

2. Fire pot shots/torp at where I think he is based on the tracers.

3.Activate Hydro and take my chances with the incoming torps. (High chance of me sinking)

And lets not bring up how this game isn't realistic its been argued to death already so long story short Good Gameplay Mechanics > Realism.

Video Contributor
860 posts
10,965 battles

Yes, but you ended up killed by its torpedoes because you're going for the ram isn't it? You're just being greedy

And then you'd go back to complain that torpedo arming range are too short.. Guess what? DDs (especially US ones) are designed to dominate at knife fighting range..

You shouldn't pick a fight against them if you have a disadvantage at close range..

Have you endure the damage for a bit longer until the smoke clears you can turn the duel into your favor

I have a simple solution for you, try playing DD..

You could pull the same trick but this time, you are the one who sets the trap

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

in reality if a dd pops smoke, yes the dd gets hidden, but the dd cannot also see out of the smoke.

this was introduced previous patch, and does seem to have been forgotten in the latest patch, dd's can now sit in their own puddle of....smoke, and see anything they want to, and fire on it while staying invisible, even only 5kms from an enemy.

im a dd player, but i dont use smoke, however im confident the devs will revert to their previous statement they made about how smoke works in game, which was the same way it worked last patch.

they did mention it somewhere.

104 posts
13,818 battles

Ah grasshopper,

Know your enemy!!! Learn their characteristics and capabilities and use these to defeat them (and you might also find you improve at this game). Charge in like a fool and you will just die, like so many children do when playing this game.

Oh, hang on a minute, that's right, you did just charge in aimlessly :izmena: and died and then wanted to blame it on the DD for being OP! :teethhappy:

I so love the comedy of these posts.

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

My point is if you can be detected whilst firing AA

That is incorrect.

You will NOT be detected in smoke when firing your AA guns, even if the plane is flowing over you.

1,107 posts
7,840 battles

As to OP,

It still risky to put yourself 3-4 km away from DD lol

considering CA is not nimble and like 170m plus long, with 700m turn radius and sometimes questionable rudder shift.

IMO the perfect hunter for DD is Aircraft, not a cruiser

Hydroacouistic is not good counter. 

hard to find ideal situation for it, better get deffensive fire anyway

Edited by humusz

178 posts
2,306 battles

Pretty sure Hydro does work in detecting hidden DDs.

Hydro.png

Besides the point, when a DD is smoked and rain fire on me I:

1. turn around and sail away.

2. Fire pot shots/torp at where I think he is based on the tracers.

3.Activate Hydro and take my chances with the incoming torps. (High chance of me sinking)

And lets not bring up how this game isn't realistic its been argued to death already so long story short Good Gameplay Mechanics > Realism.

+1 for this.

DDs are not overpowered. They are only over powered when there is no CVs (or CVs who refused to spot DDs which happened to me on a few occasions), messed up MM with 4 Shimakazes on one side, no anti-DD DDs (or those who don't do their jobs), massed/cross fired torpedoes and lack of WSAD usage. They have inconsistent performance.  You see smoke? Run away without showing sides (cos USSR DD's AP hurt) and remember to WSAD. Personally I have just given up on IJN DDs after playing some games in my Kagero and started to play more BBs and CAs. 

1,107 posts
7,840 battles

Or another DD, particularly the USA and USSR "gun boats".

too bad the player driving prefer hunting bigger ship.

not their fault though, DD hunting another DD is still risky

while you can safely stealh torp bigger ships without them shooting back

Easier, and more rewarding hehehe

only CV can make DD player life hard, especialy 2 CV ! even though the CV not hunting DD it will make stealh torping hard haha

Edited by humusz

104 posts
13,818 battles

too bad the player driving prefer hunting bigger ship.

not their fault though, DD hunting another DD is still risky

while you can safely stealh torp bigger ships without them shooting back

Easier, and more rewarding hehehe

only CV can make DD player life hard, especialy 2 CV ! even though the CV not hunting DD it will make stealh torping hard haha

Oh dear. :amazed:

Beta Tester
605 posts
6,759 battles

Firstly, there are some factual errors in your statement which means you don't have a full understanding of the mechanics - without this understanding you will struggle to come up with a good tactic to defeat the enemy. If a DD fires it's AA in smoke, it won't be detected.  Torpedoes of all types have an arming distance, this is why when you switch to torpedoes on your ship you see the visualisation of where you can launch starts a 100m or so from the ship.  That's the arming distance.  Aircraft torps take about 3 secs to arm, although it is slightly different between US and IJN torps - it's quite common to eat an aircraft torp that doesn't explode due to not arming if you turn into them.

Secondly, your tactics are quite low percentage.  If the DD is shooting at you from smoke, it means someone else is spotting for him.  If that is the case, then perhaps a better option would be a tactical withdrawal.  If you decide approaching the smoke to try and kill him is the best option (and it sometimes is, especially if you aren't spotted) then analyse what you know.  You know whether the DD is moving or not, and you know the angle of the DD by watching his shots appear from the smoke.  Use this information and torp into the smoke before you charge in - or torp and run away, they are both good options depending on the situation with other ships in the area.  When you approach the smoke, pop hydro, and know the ranges that it works to spot DD's in smoke - 5kms for KM ships, 3.5kms for all others.  If you don't have hydro, you will spot the DD at 2kms.  Since you know the which way the DD is facing, make sure you approach in a way that when you spot the DD, you are at his bow or stern (ie don't charge straight at him) and you can fire all your guns.  That way he will not be able to fire torps at you until he gets moving and then turns around to bring his torp launchers to bear.  If you're in a cruiser he'll be dead by then.  And guess what - you just easily killed a DD in smoke and he's still wondering what just happened.

1,107 posts
7,840 battles

Oh dear. :amazed:

wont mind about DD

CV balance them out. but the existence of CV still rather scare even though they got buffed

but a game with 5 DD without CV

its not fun for everyone else aside from the DD player lol

211 posts
9,928 battles

I fear the complaints will be from the other end of the spectrum once Russian cruisers are released,

Hearing that all cruisers bar KM will have access to the Radar ability

Beta Tester
404 posts
1,148 battles

it's a game

you can't ask for historical accuracy

DD is a small number in reality is useless, so DD should be useless in game?

CV is OP in reality, so CV should be OP in game?

NO

if you want reality, join the navy

Beta Tester
906 posts

Oh look, another DD thread

As to OP,

But hydro doesn't work (errr... only 3km range =D)

Sign in to follow this