You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Kreigg

Does anyone here aim their shots mathematically?

43 comments in this topic

580 posts
1,587 battles

GREETINGS FELLOW CAP'NS! :honoring:

It's been quite a while now since I've started my career in WoWS and I've been enjoying it either way win/loss/euphoria/rage/troll/derp moments... and I have to say something's been bugging me for quite a while... This whole aiming thing via the scopes...

For all this time I've been feeling my shots and adjust leads accordingly and with time my aim has improved considerably... to help me I had to mod my sights to accommodate for a greater lead because the stock sight's horizontal line isn't long engouh and more pronounced graduations (yes, I'm looking at you Destroyers) :look:...

And I got to wondering about the graduations in my sights (the number thingies) and maybe I haven't been using the instrumentations of my sights fully... my sights is made just like any other sight mod out there...

So, I ask the question. Does anybody here use some sort of math for their shots or do you just feel them?? If you guys are really doing the math then how? If not, then I must "be the shell..... be the shell... be the shell..."

THANKS FOR THE READ & HAPPY HUNTING!  :medal:

101 posts
1,247 battles

After a while you get it all done in your head.

Where to aim, how much to lead, where to lead, which direction they are facing, etc.

Just a thing you learn over time. Unless you want to actually be mathematical, just have a feel for the shots.

580 posts
1,587 battles

use the force

I have but only once... Apparently all of my crew was choking and gasping for air... hmmm wrong force...

But anyways thanks for the inputs guys, my curiosity has been sated looks like most of us here do "Feel" our shots in, RNGesus willing...

Edited by Kreigg

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,562 posts

How many here can do the maths required to work ballistics, let alone in the time required!

I know I can, but I still need time to do it. Easier to guesstimate using a good scope mod

Beta Tester
603 posts
6,753 battles

I wouldn't say I work it out mathematically, but I do use the graduations on my scalable crosshair combined with shell velocity for that ship (tends to be a static number at any range that is different for each ship's different velocities), work out the speed from their smoke then adjust for that speed to get the deflection, then look at the minimap to get angle and adjust for that, then make adjustments for if the target is turning (taking into account if I think they are going to continue turning or reverse their turn) then take the shot.  I'd say it takes about a second to set the shot up.

Super Tester
2,725 posts

With enabled "Alternative Information" in the settings, I do estimated shot actually. 22km or more is a bit harder for me to estimate though.

Edited by Mingfang47

Super Tester
1,779 posts
323 battles

use the force

you can't beat my #Ragnet

#Ragnet carries me in all of my games even in WoT (sending my tank and crew to their doom by falling in a river)

[LYNMF]
Beta Tester
54 posts
1,771 battles

nope , just have to look at enemy ship heading where , slow or speed up, turn left or right, move backward and some luck.

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,702 battles

I throw goats at the PC as i fire and hope for the best.

Honestly i calculate their speed, and fire to the prow of their ship and adjust fire for turns etc.

Range also is a factor and you get to judge the speed of knots as well of enemy vessels to know where to fire.

Its why i love firing at ships that move at flank at 12kms, they are the easiest to predict where to aim.

9 posts
4,586 battles

I think using ship's length as a reference to measure the distance you lead the target is batter because it suppose to be constant regardless of how much you zoom in or out.

Also leading target based on traveling time of the shell, because different ship has different shell arc and velocity so that the traveling time for the same distance is vary.

Finally have faith in RNGesus.