You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
daniel98

Is Atago Really Really Worth Buying?

17 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
372 posts
715 battles

Hi guys, I actually plan to buy a premium ship ingame so I got attracted by Atago but i dont know whether worth buying it or not so what you guys think? 

Edited by daniel98

Super Tester
1,677 posts

Do you like playing IJN heavy cruisers?

If yes, get it.
If no, don't get it.

Pretty much this.

Though Atago can be said as a "different" Myoko, she has some bits:

- about 11km-ish detection. with proper kitting she'll be a ninja cruiser. Myoko can't ninja sadly

- 15 second reload

- what is kinda 'fast' in turret traverse

- 15.8km range compared to her predecessor that has 16.1, her tier 8 colleague Mogami with 15.1, US counterpart New Orleans with 16.2 and Admiral HIpper with 17.7 but who fires at extreme range in a cruiser anyway? hahaha *slowly backs away*

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

I like the Atago, she plays well and is a really solid ship don't forget she gets "Repair Party".

gUnbGui.jpg

Edited by Windforce

496 posts
4,171 battles

Overall a solid tier 8 cruiser , has forward torpedo arch ( but the second torpedo is for ships  behind)

Personal opinion :

If you are able to play like IJN CA lines (furutaka excluded) 

You should really try atago

you have torpedo advantage compare to other IJN ships, repair crew like a battleship , decent anti-air 

3 guns pointing backwards is good for kiting enemy while running away from the battle.

important : her shell dispersion is quite low and its accurate ( just my feels)

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,416 battles

Hi guys, I actually plan to buy a premium ship ingame so I got attracted by Atago but i dont know whether worth buying it or not so what you guys think? 

See if you like Aoba and Myoko first. Buy her if you do.

here are the advantages for against Atago's counter part :

-High fire set chance, suitable for BB turning

-Higher HE shell damage, DD / module killer

-Fastest gun turn time

-Relatively good rudder

-Well placed torpedo mounts, most likely can get atleast a trade kill in close quarter battle.

-Good gun displacements, given Atago gun layout can fire all 5 turrets at a angle of 220, 4 turret at 215.   For Mogami,  230 degree for all guns, 210 for 3 guns.

-2 Repair crews

Cons

As everyone knows, big citadel area.  Don't worry that, if the player have good situational awareness, he wont get rekt.

Rudder can get disabled easily (likely by 1 shot from 130mm and above)  Luckily not much player notice that.

With Demolition expert, you can probably set things on fire in a salvo

Concealment expert allows you to do invisible fire

Superintendent gets you a additional consumables on Repair Party, so lets say you potentially get 10000+ HP than other cruisers.

Edited by R3negade

Beta Tester
65 posts
2,698 battles

Atago is my highest survival rate 73% ship. With 9.1 km detection full stealth mode (module+lvl15 cap skill+camo), she's sweet to drive

Alpha Tester
372 posts
715 battles

See if you like Aoba and Myoko first. Buy her if you do.

here are the advantages for Atago's counter part :

-High fire set chance, suitable for BB turning

-Higher HE shell damage, DD / module killer

-Fastest gun turn time

-Relatively good rudder

-Well placed torpedo mounts, most likely can get atleast a trade kill in close quarter battle.

-Good gun displacements, given Atago gun layout can fire all 5 turrets at a angle of 220, 4 turret at 215.   For Mogami,  230 degree for all guns, 210 for 3 guns.

-2 Repair crews

Cons

As everyone knows, big citadel area.  Don't worry that, if the player have good situational awareness, he wont get rekt.

Rudder can get disabled easily (likely by 1 shot from 130mm and above)  Luckily not much player notice that.

With Demolition expert, you can probably set things on fire in a salvo

Concealment expert allows you to do invisible fire

Superintendent gets you a additional consumables on Repair Party, so lets say you potentially get 10000+ HP than other cruisers.

ah I see thx for the tip man

1,107 posts
7,844 battles

Its a great ship

Takao Class is best IJN cruiser in the war. that translate true to the game

Its almost perfect embodiment of IJN Heavy Cruiser play. even more so than Zao (the old zao however is better)

however, it still a cruiser - Tier 8 to boot, so you will sometimes get thrown to T10 matches aka world of torpedoes 

and cruiser play in high tiered can be frustating for its captain - even for seasoned one.

but its not atago fault, it cruiser prob in general

she was a very sexy ship, and you will love her

j3Tqjfg.jpg

smexy....

451 posts
6,946 battles

If u are new to the game, NO. The atago punishes mistakes made by its captain very heavily.

If you aren't, this ship will rake in massive amounts of credits. Not as much as the tirpitz since the tirpitz has a goddamn force field armor, but enough so that even with premium consumables (repair, aa def, heal) u will at the very worst break even on an average damage loss

Edited by Kleiss

892 posts
7,853 battles

She's a great ship to have especially if you are already playing the IJN line. Everything I love about her has been summed up by the others. Go for it!!

575 posts
5,354 battles

In my opinion, yes very much so.

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

thx for the suggestion guys I bought it and it is a nice ship to play with

You won't regret buying the Atago, although you might regret your teammates :P