Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
czechkozen_03

Torpedo aw.!

13 comments in this topic

41 posts
7,953 battles

what's the difference betwen Air Craft Base Torps and DD torps.? why DD torps deal more damage than Air Craft Base Torps.? and DD torps is too difficult to avoid now.. lol it's too fast its like a kamikaze plane coming to you..!

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,704 battles

Some torps dont pack a punch, or lack range i.e. the german cruiser or soviet DD range, compared to the IJN etc.

They make up for it elsewhere, russian DDs spam a lot of torps.

They tend to give up something for that advantage.

You can avoid ship torps, by always turning when engaged with enemy ships. Also means you can avoid fire.

Varying speed also helps if you can manage it in the right situation.

Also if you see an enemy DD and they are behind an island you are in range, dont keep sailing as you will be ninja torp'd.

I tend to find good CV players at high tiers harder than DD ones, as you can have three-four torpedo bombers drop their payload at different angles, thus you always take 1-2 hits.

621 posts
2,289 battles

"too fast"

"like a kamikaze airplane"

Type 93 Oxygen torpedo speed: 52 knots

A6M Zero (Most common kamikaze plane): 356 knots

1MF Type 10 (Basic, ridiculously slow biplane): 115 knots

580 posts
1,587 battles

what's the difference betwen Air Craft Base Torps and DD torps.? why DD torps deal more damage than Air Craft Base Torps.? and DD torps is too difficult to avoid now.. lol it's too fast its like a kamikaze plane coming to you..!

You mainly play Battleships... what were you expecting? Keep off the straight line and vary your speeds... you'd be amazed how you much you can throw off a DDs aim by just doing those two things... Keep with the Cruisers if you wish to have DDs and Aircraft away from you...

Beta Tester
65 posts
2,698 battles

torpedo detection range is too close.. problem of most BB player with poor rudder shift time..

tips : immediate turn your bb when detected a dd nearby, also try vary your bb speed

505 posts
4,176 battles

torpedo detection range is too close.. problem of most BB player with poor rudder shift time..

that's why we have alot of HP to tank some of them right? usually we will take 1/4 torpedos (IJN cv torps) and 2-3/6 USN cv torps, DD torp usually avoidable but sometimes tanking it is needed when u cant dodge all of them

[ATLAS]
Beta Tester
465 posts
9,889 battles

because landing torpedo hits in DD isn't as easy as landing one in CV

back then when upgrading your TB means upgrading their damage too it really destroyed everything, now you have to be thankful the airborne torpedoes aren't even half as painful as the most highest damage torp

protip: bring catapult fighter, turn it on at 18 minutes into the game and try to turn it on every single time it off cooldown, don't try to save it like the majority of people who don't think it's doing anything in CV-less battles

41 posts
7,953 battles

tips : immediate turn your bb when detected a dd nearby, also try vary your bb speed

Nope.. there are times that u can't detect a DD..  its the Torpedo with 68~70knt speed that will surprise u. at a very close distance detection range u can't do anything to avoid  it with your very slow rudder shift time..

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Nope.. there are times that u can't detect a DD..  its the Torpedo with 68~70knt speed that will surprise u. at a very close distance detection range u can't do anything to avoid  it with your very slow rudder shift time..

Which is when situational awareness comes into play. At the very start of the match, you need to be looking at the team lists, seeing which DDs are on the other team, and how many of them are likely to be doing stealth torpedoes (i.e. how many IJN DDs are there). When the match is in progress, have one eye on the minimap at all times to keep track of where the red triangles are, and whenever one of them is anywhere remotely near you or near where you're going, start moving your rudder back and forth or varying speed. Also helps to be EXTREMELY wary around landmasses when you don't know where the enemy DDs are.

When you see the torpedoes icons pop up, it's way, way, WAY too late to react. You have to be doing it pre-emptively all the time - it's a very big part of playing well in a BB.

Here's an example of me in my New Mex - I know a Mutsuki is stalking me, I know where it vaguely is, even though it's still under stealth, and I pre-emptively evade.

Senior Moderator
1,129 posts

Which is when situational awareness comes into play. At the very start of the match, you need to be looking at the team lists, seeing which DDs are on the other team, and how many of them are likely to be doing stealth torpedoes (i.e. how many IJN DDs are there). When the match is in progress, have one eye on the minimap at all times to keep track of where the red triangles are, and whenever one of them is anywhere remotely near you or near where you're going, start moving your rudder back and forth or varying speed. Also helps to be EXTREMELY wary around landmasses when you don't know where the enemy DDs are.

When you see the torpedoes icons pop up, it's way, way, WAY too late to react. You have to be doing it pre-emptively all the time - it's a very big part of playing well in a BB.

Here's an example of me in my New Mex - I know a Mutsuki is stalking me, I know where it vaguely is, even though it's still under stealth, and I pre-emptively evade.

To reinforce what Syanda said, there's nothing more frustrating (apart from a cv captain parking aircraft over you) as a DD captain than a wasted torpedo salvo at a BB who constantly changes their course and/or speed. The only time it's not wasted is if it deters or forces other ships to turn away from the area they're in. In my opinion anyway.

Edited by ADM_dude

Sign in to follow this