Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Trojan63

Unfair advantage in the Strait map

17 comments in this topic

753 posts
8,965 battles

Any team which starts on the right side of this map is instantly at a disadvantage due to there being a gap between the 2 middle Islands which is easily exploited by the opposing team especially when it comes to out flanking CV's.

Whereas the team that starts on the left side of the map has a huge Island which flanks are easily protected and the CV's have a relatively safe haven.

The amount of players that still don't counter this obvious trap astounds me and the CV players that continually run this gauntlet is mind boggling. 

753 posts
8,965 battles

and its also amazing that almost every time those CV player goes to middle just to get surprised by a DD that sneak pass that gap

as if they were never learnt :D

Yep and although you try to warn them they still persist. :fishpalm:

Beta Tester
1,566 posts
12,938 battles

Yes it is a bit unbalanced that map.

Also Yesterday on some maps I noticed that the set up of ships was weird, it would set up the ships with 8-10 ships on eastern side o the map and then only 2-4 ships on the western side of the map instead of the normal 5-6 and 7 ships on each eastern and western sides.

So what's up with that WG ?? more testing that players aren't told about?

54 posts
7,230 battles

Actually, I feel the gap is a big advantage for the right side. As a DD or Cruiser you can get into cover for most of the way to the middle of the straight (especially when it's 3 cap Domination), and pop out in the middle to hit the flanks of either north of south groups that are usually busy by then and often target fixated and not looking at it. Plus you get to surprise any DD's from the left side that try to head there by having a cruiser pop up at close range where DD's are easier to hit, often wiping 1 or 2 quickly giving you a nice DD advantage.

Problem isn't that the dd's from the left go through it to the cv's, the problem is your team isn't sending any DD's or cruisers through it yourself to take advantage of it.

6 posts
3,379 battles

well it depends on how the captain use it. you pointed out correctly how the west team will use that part of the map effectively against the east team, however that gap also provide quick path towards the north, center and south part of the map for the east team, it gives huge advantage for BB, CA and DD to outflank the enemy capping or pushing at the center while providing a good exit path and islands for cover. It would be better for the east spawned CVs to be as near to their team's flank instead of hiding there because whichever team you are in, DDs will always make a way for them to get you.

hence the gap isn't use for hiding CVs but instead is use for flanking maneuver and ambushes.

[ATLAS]
Beta Tester
464 posts
9,884 battles

You see, the island on the left side is not as long as the one on the right side so it's less place to maneuver. Granted that Anyone would be able to shoot at the CV from that gap but why would the CV even be in front of the gap when there were some smaller islands that you can use as cover?? 

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

It's DD's that exploit that gap the most, especially during those middle ground knifefights, which can be both a blessing and curse for the right spawn team as it provides a convenient retreat avenue but also opens up a nice attack route too

Alpha Tester
184 posts
2,083 battles

The map is too small as well. In a BB you get spotted within a few seconds of the game starting. It should be North and South teams facing rather than East and West. One side dies and then you get surrounded. Most losses in this map.

69 posts
2,225 battles

The map is too small as well. In a BB you get spotted within a few seconds of the game starting. It should be North and South teams facing rather than East and West. One side dies and then you get surrounded. Most losses in this map.

+1 Early spotting is worse when you are a CV & on the weaker side of the map. I really want to see this map made bigger & have islands reworked so either both sides have gaps or neither side does.

I've noticed this spawn unbalancing in a few games thus far. Worst was 3 ships near our base (DD, CL &  BB). It was like being in a lemming nightmare right from the start especially as enemy had more even spawn it seemed as once we saw them they had a DD, 2 CL & 2 BB as well as CV planes. We lost that battle badly.

575 posts
5,354 battles

+1 Early spotting is worse when you are a CV & on the weaker side of the map. I really want to see this map made bigger & have islands reworked so either both sides have gaps or neither side does.

I've noticed this spawn unbalancing in a few games thus far. Worst was 3 ships near our base (DD, CL &  BB). It was like being in a lemming nightmare right from the start especially as enemy had more even spawn it seemed as once we saw them they had a DD, 2 CL & 2 BB as well as CV planes. We lost that battle badly.

I concur. I've only seen the forces balanced on either side of the map 3 times. One side usually has 1 to 2 less ships than those facing them (doesn't matter which spawn side) while the other is in a similar position. This should never happen. That and this map is too small. It needs to be wider by 4 or 5 squares width and length wise. This map is much like the 'Mines Map' in WoT where everyone is on top of each other in a matter of minutes. This shouldn't be the case when dealing with warships. Battleships are for the most part of almost spotted from the moment the battle begins. This map needs some serious rebalancing that's for sure.

Alpha Tester
184 posts
2,083 battles

I concur. I've only seen the forces balanced on either side of the map 3 times. One side usually has 1 to 2 less ships than those facing them (doesn't matter which spawn side) while the other is in a similar position. This should never happen. That and this map is too small. It needs to be wider by 4 or 5 squares width and length wise. This map is much like the 'Mines Map' in WoT where everyone is on top of each other in a matter of minutes. This shouldn't be the case when dealing with warships. Battleships are for the most part of almost spotted from the moment the battle begins. This map needs some serious rebalancing that's for sure.

Very true, agree with you.

9 posts
2,368 battles

I start every game detected at 0s countdown in my fuso :fishpalm:

use the concealment camo, i always use it on BBs, just in case of maps of mustard seeds.

1,126 posts

very very true

as for someone who always start game late for 1 - 1.30 min like me, the moment I gain control of the ship, I already got several hit already.

[AUSNZ]
[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,039 posts
7,703 battles

I love seeing fuso's on this map. The moment you start they are spotted and the love just comes in for them

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

Any team which starts on the right side of this map is instantly at a disadvantage due to there being a gap between the 2 middle Islands which is easily exploited by the opposing team especially when it comes to out flanking CV's.

Perhaps my fav map. 

Remember before that gap in the island was there?

A ship with high shell arc could hide behind that island and invisifire, covering most of the strait..and i recall the complaints..so i believe it was 'fixed', with a gap put there.... 

Edited by AntifoulAwl

Sign in to follow this