You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Dark_Tenshi

One disturbing thing when playing as DD

28 comments in this topic

[NYANG]
454 posts
5,926 battles

As a DD player

I always hate the fact that I CAN'T KNOW

the distance between scout plane and my ship

Even if I know the air detection range of my ship

, I can't decide whether to run away to not be detected or just ignore it

because I have no information about distance between my ship and scout plane!!!! :(

Super Tester
1,779 posts
328 battles

I always assume the planes (once I'm detected) range is under 4km (or 5km at best)

in my case, every time I play DD's, once I'm detected I flee (I'm just a Destroyer after all) while deploying smoke to cover me or my teammates and release a torpedo spread to deny the area against enemy DD's

long story short, once you're detected by an enemy scout plane assume that you're under the visible detection range from the air and try to move as far away as possible from the scout plane..

i don't know if this will help you, but all I do in a match is guess stuff lol :D

[NYANG]
454 posts
5,926 battles

not just scout plane, catapult fighter too, these two plane don't have distance indicator shown.

+1 for put that indicator on just like CV plane

Yeah they should put indicator about catapult fighter too.

P.s I almost forget there's catapult fighter.

Thx for reminding me

[NYANG]
454 posts
5,926 battles

I always assume the planes (once I'm detected) range is under 4km (or 5km at best)

in my case, every time I play DD's, once I'm detected I flee (I'm just a Destroyer after all) while deploying smoke to cover me or my teammates and release a torpedo spread to deny the area against enemy DD's

long story short, once you're detected by an enemy scout plane assume that you're under the visible detection range from the air and try to move as far away as possible from the scout plane..

i don't know if this will help you, but all I do in a match is guess stuff lol :D

Well, Thanks for your advis :)

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

hold alt and aim at target. works for me.

tells you distance.

you do know you can enable the alt information permanently via settings now?

Alpha Tester
210 posts
4,306 battles

Talking about the catapult scout/fighter not having an indicator to show how far it is away from you = one post turns it into distance from you to the target ship.

+1 from me to add a simple distance indicator to catapult launched aircraft. Not like it will cost a bunch of money to do, would venture to say its literally just a matter of copy and paste a line of code from one file to another.

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,163 battles

I'm a DD player but i don't feel annoyed about that, really. The more you play, the more you get used to it and instinct will tell you how far is that catapult-plane away from you.

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

whoops sorry scout planes. yeh when i see them i expect they are on the far side of their loop, so i always turn away from them. 

if you cant see them at all, its only because no-one is close enough to spot them. or there aren't any there.

the fun is in finding out.

i did mean to search for the permanent alt key bind situation, but never get around to it. it's definately handy.

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

I'm a DD player but i don't feel annoyed about that, really. The more you play, the more you get used to it and instinct will tell you how far is that catapult-plane away from you.

yeah tbh they aren't the most annoying thing to my dd playing in the game, pretty far down the list atm!.

892 posts
7,853 battles

yeah tbh they aren't the most annoying thing to my dd playing in the game, pretty far down the list atm!.

Agreed. While it would be good to have the distance of non-CV aircraft show up, it's really not the most annoying matter when captaining a DD

[NYANG]
454 posts
5,926 battles

I got your points, I will just have to get used to my instinct

892 posts
7,853 battles

I got your points, I will just have to get used to my instinct

As a DD Captain, Situation Awareness is a must have. When you get spotted, it's always good to look at the mini map to ascertain whether you will be subjected to incoming fire (I don't think many of us invest in Incoming Fire Alert skill). A choice can then be made, to push on albeit with a course alteration or to turn around out of harm's way. There's really no shame in the latter. Also remember though, non-CV planes have a fixed course orbiting their vessel-of-origin so, they will pass in a matter of time.

783 posts
4,819 battles

+1 for the OP from me.

Regardless of the experience needed for a DD captain, having the distance of spotting planes and catapult fighters displayed is a good thing to have. And in my opinion should be easy enough to implement seeing as CV planes have distance indicators anyway.

1,126 posts

what annoying to me?

is they still keep flying around even ship has sunk (especially catapult fighter, they fly pretty long) deny that area for a DD to pass through and spot any torp that pass through....

it become CA legacy like..."I'm sunk, but I'll launch my plane, hope it help you guys somehow........ugh......"

I try to shoot down those plane once with my DD AA ...... shit! just how much HP in that plane!!

Edited by PGM991

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

Why have 3 people stated +1 for OP, yet there is only 1 upvote??

On topic-  I use the mini map for a rough guide to distance. If the plane is approaching, i just do a Uturn until he completes his scouting radius near me. They always fly in a circle, so  once he starts his return journey i know im safe to proceed.

[NYANG]
454 posts
5,926 battles

As a DD Captain, Situation Awareness is a must have. When you get spotted, it's always good to look at the mini map to ascertain whether you will be subjected to incoming fire (I don't think many of us invest in Incoming Fire Alert skill). A choice can then be made, to push on albeit with a course alteration or to turn around out of harm's way. There's really no shame in the latter. Also remember though, non-CV planes have a fixed course orbiting their vessel-of-origin so, they will pass in a matter of time.

Actually, I have situation awarness every single 

DD but anyway Thx for your advise :)

[NYANG]
454 posts
5,926 battles

which is worse?

this kind of situation

or

having a good midway/haku captain in enemy team that keep u spotted until u die? :trollface:

Well, all DD player will say the latter one is worse :)

[STGGC]
Beta Tester
162 posts
2,861 battles

Well, all DD player will say the latter one is worse :)

here's a catch,, finding a good CV player nowaday was as hard as finding needle in haystack,, most of em prefer to kill than scout,, and for fighter seaplane,, well,, pop up smoke can keep BB player away for a reason,, especially from something like Shimakaze or Fubuki-class

[BOTES]
94 posts
3,501 battles

here's a catch,, finding a good CV player nowaday was as hard as finding needle in haystack,, most of em prefer to kill than scout,, and for fighter seaplane,, well,, pop up smoke can keep BB player away for a reason,, especially from something like Shimakaze or Fubuki-class

Blame the low rewards from fighter builds