Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ryzil

Question on Gun Penetration Values

4 comments in this topic

216 posts
2,239 battles

Quick question, I know that we can look up the armor of the ships, and we are given the info on over matching (hit ship with shell that can pen over 14.3 times the armor amount), but no where that I have seen states the penetration value of the ships guns. Now I was playing with someone I know that is a super tester in the game and he stated that in this game the guns penetration is based off of the caliber of the gun (diameter of the shells). It makes since and explains why the Warspite, and the Yamato are able to over match in their tier, but at the same time I'm praying that WG were not this simple minded to base the guns penetration amount off of just the caliber.

So is this true, is the penetration of the guns in this game based off of the caliber size?

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

The short answer is that it's not that simple, but yes, it's based on calibre size, velocity, and distance.

For  longer answer, there's a table floating out there of all the Krupp values of the guns in WoWS. If you're interested in the mechanics, try looking it up.

216 posts
2,239 battles

The charts I have found are horribly wrong, dead give away on that is that all the charts I've found state that the Yorck has the best AP velocity out of all the tier 7 cruisers. So don't blame me if I don't believe those charts, would prefer a WG chart over second hand info.

Edited by Ryzil

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

WG has not released this information. However, if you found a chart by Iku_19, those are datamined values from the client and are accurate.

Higher penetration values do not automatically translate to more damage due to overpen mechanics in this game. That's why high velocity AP can perform worse than HE shells.

Sign in to follow this