Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Trojan63

US DD's compared to RU

21 comments in this topic

753 posts
8,965 battles

Dear fellow captains.

I have a ton of credits and free xp just sitting there so I was thinking of advancing up the US DD line which is the only branch that I haven't ventured into.

I have the Izyaslav and tend to do reasonably well with it in the gunboat role so I was thinking about either the Clemson or the Nicholas in a similar role.

What are your thoughts about the comparability between these 2 nations?

Also your thought on the captain skills to have would be good?

Any help and input would be greatly appreciated. 

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles

while at first glance USN DDs and SV DDs seem to play the same role(gunboat), their play style is totally different

USN DDs: low tier(up to 7) USN DDs are meant to be played as DD hunters and CQC brawlers, they mostly have good stealth (around 6KMs) with some exceptions (im looking at you mahan), good speed and VERY reasonable guns(highest PENN of any DD guns in game now), and ok torps that's ONLY used for CQC

The 127 guns on USN DD ave wonderful ROF PENN and a sub orbital trajectory, so the play style is to get in close to the DDs and CAs on the other team and either use Ap to citadel crusers to the bottom of davy jones locker, or use HE to obliterate DDs from other nations, you could however spam HE from 10-12 miles away without being detected, but it's inefficient and will likely result in the other team's IJN DD torping your ships of the line without any problems

play style for USN DDs changes from tier7-10, in these tiers, your 127 rifles are no longer able to do a reasonable amount of damage to CAs, and your torps get a wonderful buff in range to 9.7 kms, so your play style has to change to DD hunter and torp boat, hunt down the other teams IJN DDs at the start of the game and you will have free reign over their CAs and BBs

SV DDs on the other hand is pretty simple, get AFT, BFT and set fire to all kinds of shit

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles

you would need BFT, last stand, DEM expert and concealment if you want to rock and roll in USN DD, the others are pretty optional

(if top tier CAs really do come out with radar, then i'm not so sure anymore that it's worth it to get superintent for a extra smoke)

43 posts
6,031 battles

From my experience. (Mainly play JP and US DD, few play Ru DD from friend Acc.)

US DD has slower bullet velocity than RU. that's mean RU DD has better accuracy at mid - long range, that's increase ability of RU DD to snipe at max range and deadly when trade fire with other nation DD (but the bad RU camo will be problem if play as spot enemy DD role). Instead of US DD that will take some of time to sink other nation DD due to slow bullet velocity make them some miss, this make US DD take quite damage from every engage (include fight with good bullet ark from high tier JP DD guns).

Addition, high tier US DD [7-9] has a good reliable Torp 9.2 Km. with good camo, that's can help to find JP DD. at Tier 10 will have great torp.

Summary

US DD = Balance, Various play-style (Must plan before do something, shoot, Counter DD, Torp, Distraction)

RU DD = Pure gunship, Support role

JP DD  = Mainly Torp, Spot Role

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles

nah, USN DDs are a lot more deadly at close ranges, SV DDs have a nasty habit of keeping too much vodka in their gun turrets and thus making them blow up if you even as much as throw a rock at it, so it's a really bad idea to CQC any DDs if you can help it, and the most important thing in a DD CQC gun fight is ROF, shell arcs dont really matter anymore

43 posts
6,031 battles

nah, USN DDs are a lot more deadly at close ranges, SV DDs have a nasty habit of keeping too much vodka in their gun turrets and thus making them blow up if you even as much as throw a rock at it, so it's a really bad idea to CQC any DDs if you can help it, and the most important thing in a DD CQC gun fight is ROF, shell arcs dont really matter anymore

Yes, but I think I mention about mid-long range not CQC.

If close Range (<6 Km) US will win by ROF

If Mid Range (6 - 9 Km) RU will has advantage by Acc. Sometime I must stop shooting and go invis again, hard to shoot evasive DD at that range by US slow projectile.

Edited by TSilverwing

451 posts
6,946 battles

With AFT in russian dds you can harrass cruisers and battleships, taking their attention to you thus wasting their salvos. They have pretty poor alpha damage so you have to keep spamming to get those fires in. In usn dds u ambush other dds as they approach you, using your torpedoes to assist you.

Don't get too near as the russian dds are pretty useless if their guns are down. Russian dds play the "rogue" role as a 14km harrasser. In usn dds u at least have decent torpedoes to play an alternative role if they lose their guns.

The russian shells have insane velocity and allow you to lead a fast target well within your screen boundaries, and their shell arc is pretty flat too, allowing you to put citadels into cruisers starting from around 9km mark with some success. Usn shells are heavy damaging with higher rate of fire (at higher tiers) but have average velocity with suborbital arcs. Hence they are better at brawling than the russian dds.

With the exception of the kiev the russian dds have nice tankiness and can take quite a beating. However most of them have cruiser level maneoverability and when coupled with high speed u have to make precise adjustments just to avoid a single torpedo coming your way. Usn dds aren't as bulky, but they are very maneouverable which allows them to easily pull u-turns to escape.

If you like brawling with dds up close the usn line is for you. If you like constant harrassment with fellow cruisers then the sanic dd line is for you

46 posts
3,123 battles

With AFT in russian dds you can harrass cruisers and battleships, taking their attention to you thus wasting their salvos. They have pretty poor alpha damage so you have to keep spamming to get those fires in. In usn dds u ambush other dds as they approach you, using your torpedoes to assist you.

lol,

seeking attention from BB and CA.

careful with what you wish for.

USSR DD have big dimension and slowest rudder.

ohh yes, they fast. ohh yes they got lots of HP

but again

what is if its without handling. what is speed if its without agility.

more HP, more bigger body, more easy to shot at

so it better not to draw attention that much

USSR DD role is a gunboat. RoF is good, AP damage is pretty good, turret traverse speed is great at tier 9.

but, what bothering me is their chance to cause flame. lowest of 3 nation. its not like they gonna win against BB with firing AP shell all the way am i right

451 posts
6,946 battles

lol,

seeking attention from BB and CA.

careful with what you wish for.

USSR DD have big dimension and slowest rudder.

ohh yes, they fast. ohh yes they got lots of HP

but again

what is if its without handling. what is speed if its without agility.

more HP, more bigger body, more easy to shot at

so it better not to draw attention that much

USSR DD role is a gunboat. RoF is good, AP damage is pretty good, turret traverse speed is great at tier 9.

but, what bothering me is their chance to cause flame. lowest of 3 nation. its not like they gonna win against BB with firing AP shell all the way am i right

you literally repeated what i said.

However u need to get the fires started, if not you're a burdern to the team.

415 posts
10,918 battles

thanks, I'm still not used to all the abbreviations and slang used around here ... I did check out the slang post in the newcomers section but didn't see CQC ... maybe someone could add it... 

Beta Tester
38 posts
3,824 battles

while at first glance USN DDs and SV DDs seem to play the same role(gunboat), their play style is totally different

USN DDs: low tier(up to 7) USN DDs are meant to be played as DD hunters and CQC brawlers, they mostly have good stealth (around 6KMs) with some exceptions (im looking at you mahan), good speed and VERY reasonable guns(highest PENN of any DD guns in game now), and ok torps that's ONLY used for CQC

The 127 guns on USN DD ave wonderful ROF PENN and a sub orbital trajectory, so the play style is to get in close to the DDs and CAs on the other team and either use Ap to citadel crusers to the bottom of davy jones locker, or use HE to obliterate DDs from other nations, you could however spam HE from 10-12 miles away without being detected, but it's inefficient and will likely result in the other team's IJN DD torping your ships of the line without any problems

play style for USN DDs changes from tier7-10, in these tiers, your 127 rifles are no longer able to do a reasonable amount of damage to CAs, and your torps get a wonderful buff in range to 9.7 kms, so your play style has to change to DD hunter and torp boat, hunt down the other teams IJN DDs at the start of the game and you will have free reign over their CAs and BBs

SV DDs on the other hand is pretty simple, get AFT, BFT and set fire to all kinds of shit

What do you mean by PENN? I suppose you don't mean penetration.

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,395 battles

I think USN DDs are better at Domination mode. They can repel enemy DDs competing for the cap with guns and CAs with smoke and torps.

Every DD can do better in Dom mode as there are cap zones

Free MVP :3

Sign in to follow this