Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TaikoTaiko

Radar for cruisers

62 comments in this topic

178 posts
2,306 battles

So... I read somewhere (WOWS US forum) saying that radar will be implemented for cruisers. Forced detection up to a minimum of 9.9 km. Spots even DDs in smoke. Lasts for 40 seconds and has a cool down of 6 minutes (4 minutes for premium ones). 

Personally I think this will force IJN DD players to stick with their cruisers for protection and split off from the cruiser for a torpedo run then joining back. No more stalking BBs at extreme close ranges. 

USSR DD will probably not get affected much since they are spotted constantly already and this might make them pick the perk preventive maintenance over concealment expert to better protect their turrets. And if the USSR DD opted for concealment, they can still stealth fire outside of radar range.

US DDs got it the worst. They can't run and gun like USSR DDs and their torpedoes ain't that good until maybe the Mahan or Benson. So... yeah go play a cruiser or something. :teethhappy:

The best time for using this radar consumable is probably at the start of the match when DD from both sides are competing for the cap points. A cruiser can probably park outside of the cap and use radar to pick off DDs trying to cap. 

Your thoughts fellow captains? How will this change the meta? 

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,921 battles

So... I read somewhere (WOWS US forum) saying that radar will be implemented for cruisers. Forced detection up to a minimum of 9.9 km. Spots even DDs in smoke. Lasts for 40 seconds and has a cool down of 6 minutes (4 minutes for premium ones). 

Personally I think this will force IJN DD players to stick with their cruisers for protection and split off from the cruiser for a torpedo run then joining back. No more stalking BBs at extreme close ranges. 

USSR DD will probably not get affected much since they are spotted constantly already and this might make them pick the perk preventive maintenance over concealment expert to better protect their turrets. And if the USSR DD opted for concealment, they can still stealth fire outside of radar range.

US DDs got it the worst. They can't run and gun like USSR DDs and their torpedoes ain't that good until maybe the Mahan or Benson. So... yeah go play a cruiser or something. :teethhappy:

The best time for using this radar consumable is probably at the start of the match when DD from both sides are competing for the cap points. A cruiser can probably park outside of the cap and use radar to pick off DDs trying to cap. 

Your thoughts fellow captains? How will this change the meta? 

Isn't that basically Hydroacoustic sonar?

892 posts
7,853 battles

That's not gonna happen. Just a daily rumour.

I'm sure if this was introduced, a whole lot of DDs will be mothballed or sent to the scrap yard

168 posts
5,663 battles

Well...Radar does not detect torpedoes. Trading that for more range I guess. 

Would be worth it I reckon. Trying to light up a DD with HA search is just asking for a bellyful of torpedoes.

683 posts
7,332 battles

Would be worth it I reckon. Trying to light up a DD with HA search is just asking for a bellyful of torpedoes.

Yeah totally agreed. Tried using HA search in KM CA (range of spotting DD almost 5km). Most of the time it's not very worth it.. 

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Yeah totally agreed. Tried using HA search in KM CA (range of spotting DD almost 5km). Most of the time it's not very worth it.. 

In case you not getting spotted there not so much for DD captain like me can do :D:D:D

Beta Tester
603 posts
6,755 battles

Generally you know which way the DD is facing in the smoke, if you watched him lay it or if he's firing out of it.  Approach so that when you spot him you'll be on his bow or stern and he won't be able to torp you, and in the 2-3 salvos it takes you to kill him there's no way he'll be able to turn around from a stationary start to release torps.  Plus he won't be able to fire all his guns at you.

575 posts
5,354 battles

Isn't that basically Hydroacoustic sonar?

No. Hydro-acoustic is an active sonar that sends sound waves out into the water that will reflect off any submerged targets; like torpedoes. It shouldn't detect any surface ships because of the nature of sonar. Now if they're saying this is a passive/active system, then it can hear the prop wash of a ship within its detection range. This would explain why the range on this system is so low. Passive sonar was in its rudimentary stage of development during the time period these ships were using it. The Radar emits 'energy waves' (note simplistic explanation here) that function much like active sonar except it detects surface ships and planes by reflecting this energy back to the ship rotating and radiating their radar.

575 posts
5,354 battles

I don`t like how its implemented for now.

Someone presses a button and DDs are toast, sounds like it takes no skills.

Since these are going to be on tier 8+ CAs, most DDs have long range torpedoes that they can stay at 10km range and fire guns from smoke (outside the CA's radar range) or torpedoes (most the IJN DDs). This is probably WGs way of trying to force integrate CAs and the rest of the ships into mini-fleets much like they've done for AA coverage. However, you won't see this on tier 7 or below. So, DD players will have to change their tactics once they get into tier 8 becoming more of a screening/spotting force instead of independent raiders that they currently are.

Beta Tester
603 posts
6,755 battles

I don`t like how its implemented for now.

Someone presses a button and DDs are toast, sounds like it takes no skills.

Exactly.  It's something that requires no skill and is a hard counter, not really well designed.  A continually spotted DD at sub-10kms is dead.

I like the idea of it though, but I think a better implementation would be that while active any enemy ships within the radar range appear on the minimap of everyone on your team.  That is a better in game representation of radar, and it means that if you want to find that ship you know exactly where to go, but you have to actually get into spot range to see it.

575 posts
5,354 battles

Exactly.  It's something that requires no skill and is a hard counter, not really well designed.  A continually spotted DD at sub-10kms is dead.

I like the idea of it though, but I think a better implementation would be that while active any enemy ships within the radar range appear on the minimap of everyone on your team.  That is a better in game representation of radar, and it means that if you want to find that ship you know exactly where to go, but you have to actually get into spot range to see it.

That is a marvelous idea and you're correct. It is the best representation of radar and exactly how it should be implemented. Maybe your should post this into the suggestion forum. Maybe they'll read it...or not.

406 posts
6,279 battles

That is a marvelous idea and you're correct. It is the best representation of radar and exactly how it should be implemented. Maybe your should post this into the suggestion forum. Maybe they'll read it...or not.

Sweet - so You'll want WG to allow us to lock our guns to a Radar return then.....

216 posts
2,239 battles

9.9km radar on tier 8 or higher US and RU CLs I feel will only really effect mainly the US DDs and some USSR DDs (if they try to rush in close and use smoke). I'm failing to see where this is going to effect the IJN in a massive way other than if the IJN is playing just out side his concealment radius and this consumable pops and he can't run away fast enough, but truthfully I rarely see high tier IJN DDs playing on their concealment limits (because LoL 15km-20km torp range), not to say it doesn't happen.

So all in all I still think the proposal/suggestion to allow CLs to have manual control over there scout planes (with a penalty of a shorter air time) would be a better option. DDs would be able to still be able to sneak by, but if a CL see some torps coming from  a IJN DD and sends his plane out to scout him that CL can still miss spotting another DD in the area that's a little further off  instead of suddenly BOOM! every DD in my general area is now boned for the next 30-40 secs.

Now if this does happen (remembering that this is still only a rumor) I only hope it isn't allowed to be abused by divisions of CLs that just take turns popping this consumable, I would like to see less DDs being played, not NO DDs being played.

Edited by Ryzil

216 posts
2,239 battles

Just watched the new

, and the first 1:40 mins he makes mention of a discussion/topic that can be found on the WoWs page of Reddit and how he's original sail n chat #16 he started to talk about that is currently being tested. He digresses and continues his show, but maybe his hush hush-ness might be on this radar subject. 

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Just watched the new

, and the first 1:40 mins he makes mention of a discussion/topic that can be found on the WoWs page of Reddit and how he's original sail n chat #16 he started to talk about that is currently being tested. He digresses and continues his show, but maybe his hush hush-ness might be on this radar subject. 

Most of the time i found that iChase opinion kinda solid :D:D:D

Anyways since is being test so there no confirm that Radar will remain this way when this update went live :P

575 posts
5,354 battles

Sweet - so You'll want WG to allow us to lock our guns to a Radar return then.....

Why not? I've fired at targets on the map return based on their present course and speed after they've disappeared and hit them. Did it in WoT too. I think this would at least give a DD a fighting chance if ships outside of the 10km range were firing on the now discovered DD by radar be it in smoke or not. Otherwise, DDs will become much like carriers currently are.

Sign in to follow this