Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Kreigg

How to be a good Tirpitz and Warspite?

10 comments in this topic

580 posts
1,587 battles

:honoring: GREETINGS FELLOW CAP'NS!! :honoring:

Oh dear.. I never though I did this but I actually did it... I bought something expensive for a game! :ohmy: I was only out to get my Driver's License renewed but guess which idiot took a detour to load up his MOL account? :sceptic:

Anyways, we all have seen the new offers up for grabs on the Premium shop... and most likely we'll see a slew of new owners for both Tirpitz and the Warspite... Probably there'll be a lot of noob Tirpitz players out there including myself so I decided to open this topic to help us new owners of the two ships most likely purchased during the limited time sale...

Right now I just opted to buy the Tirpitz... and for a first date she does deliver as told but I think I should know more about her from you guys. Please share your captain skills, tips, tricks, and strategies for Tirpitz (and Warspite) so as to help us get acquainted so that nooblets like me won't be a burden to everyone... Hopefully this topic will reach out to others as well...

THANKS FOR THE READ & RNGESUS BE WITH YOU! :medal:

575 posts
5,354 battles

I would strongly recommend you take both into Co-op battles until you get a good grasp of how these ships work. It may take longer to get CO skills up; however, learning how to operate each of these proficiently will benefit you more than jumping into random battles and learning it that way.

I would recommend you watch Aerroon, iChase, Flamu, Noster, Wastingtimegaming, and Business6 vids on these two ships. They are highly insightful and informative. Then apply that in Co-op till you feel things are comfortable and second nature (so to speak).

580 posts
1,587 battles

I would strongly recommend you take both into Co-op battles until you get a good grasp of how these ships work. It may take longer to get CO skills up; however, learning how to operate each of these proficiently will benefit you more than jumping into random battles and learning it that way.

I would recommend you watch Aerroon, iChase, Flamu, Noster, Wastingtimegaming, and Business6 vids on these two ships. They are highly insightful and informative. Then apply that in Co-op till you feel things are comfortable and second nature (so to speak).

I only took the Tirpitz, can't afford to have both for my Medical needs :teethhappy:... But I see what you mean, that's a good place to start I guess... I've taken the thing out for a spin twice today and almost everything feels like a tickle... I managed to take down a Fuso and a New Mexico to near death at 8-10km before some dude finished them off and I only lost 1/8 my HP... Thanks to you guys always hammering the Angling advice...

This thing is a brawler alright but I can't rightly understand her maneuvering... She's no Kongo that's for sure but d*mn is she fast to circle other BBs down islands... Thanks for the heads up, I'll look these channels up as soon as I can. In the meantime what captain skills would you recommend? Does Survival Expert sound nice? It's not overkill on the HP is it? Do I really need to further the turret rotation speed with XM? Sorry, it's just that this ship got me real excited the first time I went to town... She's certainly a beaut!

Edited by Kreigg

Video Contributor
860 posts
10,965 battles

Congrats on your purchase! I see that you've set your priority straight to drive one of the finest German war machine :teethhappy:

Tirpitz plays differently than other BBs in the game.. Its more suited to close range, in your face engagements where it can use its torpedoes to full effect..

She's weak at long range due to her weak deck armour, try to avoid as much damage as possible on early game.. Prioritize CA/CLs before BBs, it has good dispersion and fast, flat trajectory to hit citadels..

Be wary of torpedoes though because she have weak torpedo protection.. Good thing is the ship is quite maneuverable

If you find a lone BB, charge it like a wild boar.. Frontal armour are great and can deflect 410mm shells.. Close the gap then drop torps at point blank range

Her citadels are well protected but due to design it will take more penetration damage rather than overpens, so a well placed AP salvo can still hurt her pretty bad

I personally outfitted her with full brawling & secondaries build.. I take the Secondary Battery Mod 2, Rudder Shift Mod, and Target System Acquisition upgrades..

For captain skills i have 16 pts captain on it, taking BFT, Sit. Awareness, Expert Marksman, Superintendent, AFT, and finally Manual Secondaries

Fully upgraded it has 6.5 km secondaries, with 14 barrels per broadside and all of them shoots HE..
And i assure you, you don't want to be the DD at the receiving end of it.. Every DD that came close to me never make it out

I've been farming Close Quarter Expert achievement with it after 0.5.3.. Very fun ship

1,107 posts
7,844 battles

Tirpitz have good Plunging Fire.

she can citidel yamato from long range. but have crap dispersion so its need lucky more than anything.

its not built for sniping, so better at med to close range with her

she have excelent armor and large HP pool, so you can be agresive and took hits for the team

IMO she have US battleship Thoughness, combined with manuvertibility of IJN CA (I feel the cannon very similiar to Myoko)

so handle her like oversized cruiser at range, and brawl like battleship at close

451 posts
6,946 battles

The tirpitz is goddamn hard to citadel in my amagi. My amagi does best with plunging fire citadels, so that's a hint for you

Never show me you direct bow on as i can easily fire into your bow for massive damage, always tilt at a slight angle. 

You have less crappy AA since this patch.

The tirpitz's role of tank is different from a normal battleship. Be the focus of enemy bbs and not cruisers. This is crucial to your survival as HE will murder you more than most bbs near your tier. Position yourself such that if any cruiser tries to lob many HE shells at you they will be heavily punished by your teammates. 

Don't worry about torpedoes from destroyers, you have very good turning. 

I dont have a tirpitz, but this is my analysis from an enemy perspective since i have seen many shitty tirpitz players who instantly buy a tier 8 ship, die first in the match and complain op planes and fire spam

Edited by Kleiss

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Lol, some of the post above are aganst each other

Here some things to be noticed:

Crappy AA, you need Cruiser or other battleship with good AA to acompany you

The shell trajectory is different from other BB

Fast reload and gun transverse speed, ideal to fight against Cruiser at mid range

Torp Tubes, great for short range brawl

Very well armoured except the deck

Noticable speed, so you can keep up with other cruiser

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles

brawl the heck out of anything you see, tirpitz's Armour can really beating from other ships if angled, so you'll bounce most 410s if you know what you are doing. tirpitz rarely eats citadels but ALWAYS take a crap load of damage from normal penns from 203mm to 410mm, and you might receive more damage from a good broadside from regular penns then citadels...1k+ at the least

being pretty light on her feet, and with the best turret rotation time and ROF of any BBs in game, you should never hesitate to close in on one on one battles with other BBs, the penn of the 380s are actually not so bad if you get to around 12km, and the other BB will always wuss first out in a game of chicken when facing a tirpitz.

NEVER use your torps as the first means of attack. Sure, they might instakill another BB who's brawling with you, but you rarely see anyone who is dumb enough get close enough/dont know to dodge

Super Tester
802 posts

Check out my guide here

Granted it's a little bit out of date in regards to crew skills, but I'm currently playing around with the skill tree at the moment. I need to gauge the effectiveness of manual secondary control.

Super Tester
2,314 posts
7,096 battles

For me, I play her like a giant CA that has semi-shit AA.

As far as possible, I try to get upclose and personal say about 10km or so? 

As for captain skills, I don't have a permanent captain. She's my captain trainer. Though I do have a basic 3 skill captain that's kinda stationed on her ready to sortie her out.

Sign in to follow this