Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
GeneralVikus

Vikus' Amazing Ship Design Competition!

4 comments in this topic

2 posts
178 battles

At the moment I'm involved in a game in which I'm playing as Great Britain in the year 1934. Basically, the London Naval Treaty is about to be blown out the water, so to speak, and as such I need some new designs for various classes that don't fit the treaty limits. So, I figured it might be fun to put this out to this community, which I'm sure has members who could do a far better job of it than I could, and maybe even hold a competition if there are more than one submissions for each role. 

Hopefully this can be a bit of fun for everyone; even if you don't want to make your own submission, I'd encourage you to debate the pros and cons of other people's designs and hopefully as a group come up with the best ships that you can devise with all of your knowledge, and hopefully have a serious affect on the outcome of this game. 

So, just a few general points before I get into the requirements of the individual classes. First of all, the year is 1934, and naval aviation is still in its infancy. Gun ships, therefore, have a bigger role to play than they will at the outbreak of war. Also, remember that since the Naval Treaties are now falling to pieces, the main difference between these ships and real ones will be the lack of restrictions on tonnage and firepower. So, with that in mind,I'll move on to the individual requirements: 

Light Fleet Cruiser: In our timeline, Royal Navy Cruisers at this stage were made to be relatively long and thin, which increased their speed at the expense of their tonnage (as the ship was longer, less weight could be put into the armor for the same speed, though this will no longer be a problem due to the end of the treaty), and their turning circle. However, with a new naval race kicking off, I now need ships specifically designed to fight in large fleet actions. This one should have a speed of at least 30 knots, and if possible heavy AA protection. This vessel needs to be jack-of-all trades. 

Heavy Fleet Cruiser: Same deal as above, but...heavier. 

Battleship: Arguably, this will be the most important ship type in the navy for at least a couple of years after it's built. It will replace the King George V, whose specifications were severely limited by the Treaty (for example, the 14 inch guns and the 35,000 ton maximum). This vessel should preferably be a fast battleship with a speed approaching 30 knots; and it can be no longer than 220m at the waterline because of the dockyards at Malta and Gibraltar. Once again, AA protection is important. 

Aircraft Carrier: This will replace the Ark Royal Class, which was once again severely restricted by the Second London Naval Treaty. Its speed should be at least 30 knots, and, once again, it must be no longer than 220m at the waterline (though the deck can of course be longer). The deck should be armored, and a permanent deck complement of aircraft is optional. 

Sign in to follow this