You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Terkoz

Is it worth it for us Australians to try the US servers?

50 comments in this topic

29 posts
1,050 battles

I love this game but lately have been getting very disillusioned with the matches I've been having on the SEA server. No one plays as a team and far too many of my matches seem to consist of my team sitting at the back of our side of the map waiting for the enemy to come to them. When I do try to suggest a strategy nine times out of ten there is no response. The few good matches I've had have been where there are a few responsive english speakers who are keen to team up.

Has anyone here tried the US servers and is it worth restarting on them? Is the ping playable and what are the people like playing the game there? Is it possible to have two copies of the game with one for each server?

I really need to do something as I'm getting tired of playing by myself. Last night was almost the last straw. Absolutely nothing went right. Getting tired of sitting at the back of the map I tried some sneaky attack runs and it was a disaster. To give you an idea how my luck was going the last match of the night I managed to get to the other side of the map completely undetected and was closing on a single ship when a torpedo came out of no where too close to avoid. I had no team mates on this side of the map so god knows what made the guy fire them into open water like that but it shows the sort of night I was having.  

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

I heard some AU move to US server and found that its more comfortable to play, better ping + no language barrier □□□□□□□□□!! 5555+ wwwwww 23333 

So i guess you should give it a try nothing to lose right ? :P

Alpha Tester
982 posts

If you are on the East Coast of Oz your ping will be the same if not better. I get better ping to there from Sydney than I do Singapore.

Set up an account and see what the server pop is during the times you are most likely gonna play.

Keep in mind that if you hold a day job, you'll never be able to play clan wars except on weekend mornings whenever they eventually roll around.

29 posts
1,050 battles

Thanks for the info guys. I created an account on the NA server and found the info to modify the server selection. As you said Krieg the ping I am getting is exactly the same as I was getting on the Singapore one. I don't normally play at this time of the day but I was getting matches quickly and it was good to see some friendly chat for a change. :) This is only from three quick matches though.  

590 posts
2,995 battles

I've tried it a few times, unfortunately it seem like when I'm on the US server, there is hardly anyone else online (less than 4000 players) Ping is same, if not a little higher, lag spikes are there. But not horribly so. 

But I'm simply not seeing the population when I'm getting online on the US Server to make it worth the time. 

27 posts
2,983 battles

Hey Terkoz! I know exactly what your talking about..don't get any response at all when in chat and when your being fired on to the point of being focused, neaby team members that are easily within firing range on enemy won't help you..very frustrating! 

As you've found out, ping doesn't change from NA server. For what it's worth I even tried a VPN to route through different countries. .no difference...I usually get a minimum 100ms and 70fps but that will usually drop to 20fps and 100-200ms but have seen spikes of 4000ms and 1fps! Based in Brisbane.

1,068 posts
3,845 battles

I have had a NA account for a while now,and have been playing a lot the last couple of weeks trying to get the ARP ships there to.

One thing if you have the HD space and a good net speed ( or can just DL it while not doing anything else) is to run a separate install for the NA version.Occasionally they will run an event like Halloween last year where the versions won't match and you won't be able to log in from a SEA install.

I am on east cost of Oz and get a steady 105 ping,and little lag,where as SEA is regularly laggy.

Most of the players there do speak english,sometimes I have seen spanish and from the names and occasional white squares there seems to be some asian players to.Usually a bit of talk going on and a few matches this week there has been friendly ribbing between teams.Still get some morons in but seems ok this week.

Team co ordination can be better since most speak the same language,but you can still get uncoordinated games.Although if you need to send out a DD warning or are just advising what is happening somewhere on the map people will take note.

Another difference I have seen is that there is more people playing US ships there and Japanese,where as it is opposite for the SEA server.

I reckon I will start playing more on the NA server once ARP is over there since I am enjoying it more.

Also I play from between 4.30pm to about 8.00pm,mainly at Tier 6 at the moment,and population has been enough to get matches in under a minute to.

Edited by BanditSE1977

29 posts
1,050 battles

I've just spent several hours playing on the NA server. Over the course of the day the number of players dropped from 11k to 6k but it was more than enough to get matches within a couple of minutes and this is among the first couple of tiers. My ping ranged between 100 and 110 and 70+ fps (from Brisbane). The chat was busier although not a lot of tactics are called at level one and two. ;) It wasn't toxic either which I was a little worried about.

I'm going to keep playing both for the time being. I have spent money on my SEA account have a couple of weeks of premium left. :)

29 posts
1,050 battles

If you really prefer to be in NA server you can request account transfer so you not wasting your time and money for nothings :great: 

I'll keep both for now. I have one or two clan mates who still play this game once in a blue moon so I'll play the SEA account with them. I am fine with starting the US one from scratch. I didn't mind a lot of the early tier ships. 

29 posts
1,050 battles

Is the gameplay the same? E.g. 90% of players staying as far back as possible?

Sick of always having to chase!

I can only comment on the lower tier matches but so far the quality of the games has been pretty high. People are sticking together quite well and pushing forward so I've been enjoying the games I've had so far. I've had to really work for each kill which is better in the long run.

One thing I have noticed is premium is actually more expensive on the NA server. I had a quick look at the store and where it's around $14-$15 a month on the SEA store they wanted $17-$18 on the NA one. I didn't compare the ship prices though. 

51 posts
2,124 battles

One thing I have noticed is premium is actually more expensive on the NA server. I had a quick look at the store and where it's around $14-$15 a month on the SEA store they wanted $17-$18 on the NA one. I didn't compare the ship prices though. 

i wonder what currency they are using as their exchange rate base for the SEA server then???

Super Tester
509 posts

Its pretty good on NA in terms of teamwork and the playerbase actually chat during battles. Here every battle is like playing singleplayer as its so silent or full of boxes :P

They do swear a lot more on NA though haha

219 posts
3,348 battles

Has anyone here tried the US servers and is it worth restarting on them? Is the ping playable and what are the people like playing the game there? Is it possible to have two copies of the game with one for each server?

Most definitely but it will depend upon your location here in Oz.

I am on the east coast (far-north NSW) and ping to the US server is IDENTICAL to that I average on the SEA server.......sits at around 105 and I rarely have any lag.

I still have an account on this server but, starting afresh on the NA server was no drama as I intended to follow a different path through the Tiers.

Also, I just play for the fun.....amassing points, silver dollars, whatever is of no great interest to me, so starting off with the four default gunships was no problem.

Give it a try.......don't spend any brass, start with the defaults and see what you think.

Nothing to lose.

69 posts
2,225 battles

If you really prefer to be in NA server you can request account transfer so you not wasting your time and money for nothings :great: 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think WG allow transfers. You have to start all over again I thought.

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think WG allow transfers. You have to start all over again I thought.

Pretty much.

There is the occasional transfer due to exceptional circumstances, but, 99.99% of the time there won't be.

216 posts
2,239 battles

If you really prefer to be in NA server you can request account transfer so you not wasting your time and money for nothings 

wide-eyed-double-take-caddyshack.gif?w=8

Wait, WHAT!?! The WoWs SEA Server allows account transfers to the NA? If so that would be great.

Shocked if this is true, been trying to get my SEA Server WoT account transferred back to NA for the past 3+ years now with no luck.

Edited by Ryzil

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

wide-eyed-double-take-caddyshack.gif?w=8

Wait, WHAT!?! The WoWs SEA Server allows account transfers to the NA? If so that would be great.

Shocked if this is true, been trying to get my SEA Server WoT account transferred back to NA for the past 3+ years now with no luck.

Pretty much.

There is the occasional transfer due to exceptional circumstances, but, 99.99% of the time there won't be.

13 posts
4,131 battles

Agree with the op.  Game play and team play is wanting, most people going alone.

i had the 2 accounts with WOT, one on the SEA server, but migrated over to the US server.

[FTSTL]
9 posts
675 battles

I wouldn't mind going to the NA server (I am in Toowoomba) but I keep getting redirected back to the SEA server. Also being 'puter illiterate' as far as files go , I am loath to muck around with the game files in case I wreck them. 

1,068 posts
3,845 battles

I wouldn't mind going to the NA server (I am in Toowoomba) but I keep getting redirected back to the SEA server. Also being 'puter illiterate' as far as files go , I am loath to muck around with the game files in case I wreck them. 

If you want to install the NA version separately to the SEA one,when that 'We recommend you go to the SEA server' message box pops up on the NA page,close it,then go to the download page for the NA version and download it.

When it starts to install tell it to install into a separate folder to the SEA one,I named mine World Of Warships NA,and let it download/install.

Take note of which is the new icon on your desktop for Warships,and rename it to WOWS NA or something so you know which one you are using.

I have had the two installed separately since November and haven't had any problems so far.

16 posts
2,659 battles

oh wow really? they will do that?

I'm from NZ & find it really hard to get people to play together as a team on the SEA server, it's only when I've come across other kiwis or aussies that we work together & usually do quite well, especially helpful from T7 & above!!

ping wise im at a stable 100ms & 65fps, just wondering what others were getting ping wise before making up my mind.

[FTSTL]
9 posts
675 battles

If you want to install the NA version separately to the SEA one,when that 'We recommend you go to the SEA server' message box pops up on the NA page,close it,then go to the download page for the NA version and download it.

When it starts to install tell it to install into a separate folder to the SEA one,I named mine World Of Warships NA,and let it download/install.

Take note of which is the new icon on your desktop for Warships,and rename it to WOWS NA or something so you know which one you are using.

I have had the two installed separately since November and haven't had any problems so far.

Ta Bandit, I'll give it a shot.