Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Docking_at_Dock

Update 0.5.3, on mods/security

9 comments in this topic

66 posts

Security

In Version 0.5.3, a new system has been introduced to protect against unsigned mods. When you install mods, you put your game client's stability at risk.

To ensure proper operation of the game client, we recommend that you use mods from the Official Mod Pack that is released for every version of the game.

I don't think this has been explained clearly.

We mod the game client at our own risk. I believe many of us realize the "risk" of doing so, but I haven't encountered a single crash.

Sure, some mods could cause the game to crash, but that's the users' responsibility, for they should have understood the danger. Anyway,

• What is this "system"?
  • How does it work?
  • What makes a mod official or signed?
  • Will the system boot the player for using unsigned mods?
  • How is the Official Mod Pack supported?
  • Who contributes to it?
  • How is it maintained?
  • Does this concern security at all, and in what way?

Edit: I will make more opinions after reading the NA copypasta. IRL I'm usually offline.

Edited by Docking_at_Dock

334 posts
12,991 battles

Somebody will find a way to bypass the system nothing made by man can't be reverse engineered. I want to know what is relevant to me and my privacy on how this "system" will work I don't need to know the code but I want to know in laymans terms how it works and what are the repercussions of using an unofficial mod. I want to use Aslains Mod pack is that an recognised "safe" mod pack.

Alpha Tester
982 posts

I see this mod security fix causing WAAAAAYYYyyyyy more angst and problems than it is gonna solve.

Doctor: What's wrong? :)

Patient: My foot hurts. :unsure:

Doctor: Let's have a look and I'll consult the staff for a diagnosis & treatment. :)

Patient: Great!!! This problem has been bothering me for a long time but it only affects a small percentage of my time. :(

Evil Nurse: :popcorn:

Doctor: Glad to see you've woken up patient. We've amputated your leg. :coin:

Doctor: Problem solved. :trollface:

Edited by Krieg

22 posts
7,248 battles
We use mod patch itself means we accept the security issue. After update 5.3, all shut down because it "does not ensure safety" - WG said.
I used Aslains mode with one sole purpose: Remove fog in the map. The reason for such need because I was nearsighted, was about to pass out at 8 diopter. After this update I can not join the game too long and often blinded, eyestrain.
You have your reasons, we also have our reasons. Where have all the mode - er are making illegal copies mode?
If indeed the copy mode will not be used in the game, maybe I had break game now. Very desirable but not allow vision.

66 posts

I see that WG has dodged the question...

Look, I enjoy the game, and we mod it to add value to our experience. Now WG seems like going down the path of Apple Appstore that can and will put an unnecessary painful leash on modders and users for the wrong reasons. Until now, we do not know what WG's intentions are for mods. The system put in place appears and could very well be draconian, in a way that may do more harm than good. Transparency is important here, folks. So is trust.

I don't want to criticize WG, but this makes me frown and worry about my investment into this game.

Once again, what makes a mod "illegal"?!

575 posts
5,354 battles

I see that WG has dodged the question...

Look, I enjoy the game, and we mod it to add value to our experience. Now WG seems like going down the path of Apple Appstore that can and will put an unnecessary painful leash on modders and users for the wrong reasons. Until now, we do not know what WG's intentions are for mods. The system put in place appears and could very well be draconian, in a way that may do more harm than good. Transparency is important here, folks. So is trust.

I don't want to criticize WG, but this makes me frown and worry about my investment into this game.

Once again, what makes a mod "illegal"?!

Don't worry about it. Go to Aslain's site and download his mod pack. I did and just played a few battles and had no problems or issues. Apparently those mods that are cosmetic in nature or things like gun sights (for example) are not illegal and not part of any security block or scan. Case in point, I'm using Krab's sight 3 and no issues. Conversely, all the skins work as before this patch. So, there you go.

Sign in to follow this