You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Kreigg

The Path of the CA Captain... Please Guide Me...

24 comments in this topic

580 posts
1,587 battles

GOOD DAY FELLOW CAPN'S! & THANKS FOR OPENING MY THREAD... :honoring:

As you know, 0.5.3 patch is right around the corner... and after many days of wailing and gnashing of teeth I've come to accept my fate as a Light Cruiser Captain with the intended game balancing changes...

With that said, I am considering the path of the Heavy Cruiser. Personally I loved the 150mm guns because of their versatility and skill buffs attached to them but now that they will be taken away soon, I'm going to have to look elsewhere to effect great damage upon the enemy.

My question is which path should I take for a beginner CA line? I seek the guidance of Ye Olde Sea Dogs...

USN Line: I've already unlocked the Pensacola but I didn't buy her since well the reviews were enough to scare me off. Although the New Orleans kinda looks nice and that Baltimore...

IJN Line: I've yet to start that one but I plan to skip the Furutaka because in my encounters against that tub (no disrespect to Furutaka owners) but it's hardly a threat though I have been caught by surprise. The Aoba and Myoko looks to be good though.

KM Line: I am loving this line and how it plays although they are hardly survivable ships... and those guns! I wonder how these will fare on a Heavy Cruiser (Yorck aside)...

For now that's how far my research has dug up but I need and appreciate the advice of other more experienced players as well...

THANKS FOR THE READ & SORRY FOR THE LONG POST :medal:

1,065 posts
2,628 battles

You're gonna have to learn how to heavy cruiser eventually. :D

You might want to start the Furutaka since it teaches the same lessons that a Pensacola will except you'll be facing lower tier ships so you won't be roflstomped by the higher tier opposition. The Furutaka will lead to the Aoba and Myoko which are both very nice ships, however we'll have to see what WG will decide to do with the Mogami after the patch since there will be many salty tears. 

Basic playstyle of angling and presenting the smallest target towards enemy ships and turning slightly outwards to fire all your guns then turning back in applies. :hiding:

Situation awareness skill is worth it so you can know when it's safe to turn if you're not detected. Pensacola has the detection of a BB (15.7km :ohmy:) so I don't think you'll want that as your first CA lol. 

Edited by EnochIsHere

1,105 posts
7,834 battles

- Situational awarness is a must

- Shoot and Scoot

- Always Plan an escape route before attack

- Position is important. Dont shoot until got good position 

- Always consider that you might be in someone crosshair at any given moment. dont get focused and zoom out often

- Dont be Outnumber

- Always join GangBang

- There is Safety in numbers

- Avoid one on one fight if u can. you might become too focused and got 1 shooted by BB 20km away or lured into bad position.

- Play in Group

- Dont be a Hero

- Cruiser action rarely dictate the flow of battle. but a cruiser sunk is. 

IMO Even though it might be the easiest Class in the game, but Cruiser dont tolerate many mistake. so it can be very hard to master. not to mention very tasking (constantly move, check surrounding, Hide, providing air support, angling, check map etc) its intense and fun to play. regardless of each nation quirk.

580 posts
1,587 battles

You're gonna have to learn how to heavy cruiser eventually. :D

You might want to start the Furutaka since it teaches the same lessons that a Pensacola will except you'll be facing lower tier ships so you won't be roflstomped by the higher tier opposition. The Furutaka will lead to the Aoba and Myoko which are both very nice ships, however we'll have to see what WG will decide to do with the Mogami after the patch since there will be many salty tears. 

Basic playstyle of angling and presenting the smallest target towards enemy ships and turning slightly outwards to fire all your guns then turning back in applies. :hiding:

Situation awareness skill is worth it so you can know when it's safe to turn if you're not detected. Pensacola has the detection of a BB (15.7km :ohmy:) so I don't think you'll want that as your first CA lol. 

Sigh*... yes I know CAs were gonna be it someday but I didn't expect it to be any sooner... The patch has forced my hand, honestly I wouldn't mind having a Light Cruiser all they way to T10 if there was one... It surely was an unexpected niche since I pictured myself out as a BB captain when I started WoWS... but when I switched I began to love two key factors which is Speed and Maneuvaribility which is plenty is CLs and DDs... 

You raise a good and strong point starting with the Furutaka... She's a T5 ship whilst the Pensacola and Yorck are both T7s and the enemies at that level will be quite formidable... Thank you

683 posts
7,332 battles

Just my 2 cents.

IJN CA: i had gone to Mogami. IJN Ca generally has good shell arc with fairly consistent damage output on each salvo, well as far as i feel. down side is their slower turret turning speed, which means you gotta plan something like: shot, change course to evade possible incoming shots plus turn the turrets towards your intended target while reloading, then shoot again and repeat. Sometimes you might find it frustrating when the turret turning cannot keep up with ship turning speed. oh, good concealment

USN CA: well I stuck at pensacola. haven't really touched her sine 0.5.2. What i remembered was the relatively slow turning turrets and shell flight time is a bit long (correct me if I'm wrong) another thing I don't like about USN CA is that they don't have torpedo, which makes me feel very uneasy to go against BBs as I don't have any ace to deal with them. pensacola concealment is really really really bad. at the beginning of the battle, most likely she will be the first to be spotted, and that's it, rain of shells pouring in.

KM CA:  got my first tier X, Hindenberg. Good side about KM CA (after Yorck, didn't really played Yorck properly) is good turret turning speed ( well at least it can catch up when the ship is turning the other way), fast shell speed making targeting far distanced targets easier, good rate of fire, and you have torpedoes if you are locked in a head on with BBs. Down side is... well, at max range and down until around 12km, damage done on targeted ships is quite random ( sometimes you can get substantial damage on them, sometimes non at all, and that's AP. HE shell? Well, damage is so low until i rarely used them, even on DDs!) But once you got near, like less than 10km, damage elicited from AP shells is good. concealment... not as good as IJN CAs, means you have to be careful. 

Survival of all CAs... well, always angle your ship, must always keep an eye on your surrounding, and judge when to go in and when to pull out. I always try to stay alive first before trying to hit anything.. 

hope this help.. 

1,065 posts
2,628 battles

Sigh*... yes I know CAs were gonna be it someday but I didn't expect it to be any sooner... The patch has forced my hand, honestly I wouldn't mind having a Light Cruiser all they way to T10 if there was one... It surely was an unexpected niche since I pictured myself out as a BB captain when I started WoWS... but when I switched I began to love two key factors which is Speed and Maneuvaribility which is plenty is CLs and DDs... 

You raise a good and strong point starting with the Furutaka... She's a T5 ship whilst the Pensacola and Yorck are both T7s and the enemies at that level will be quite formidable... Thank you

Your wish will be granted eventually when they decide to split the CA and CL lines in the future. Unfortunately that looks to be pretty far away. :fishpalm:

459 posts
8,266 battles

If you do go with a pensacola at some point I'd recommend the incoming fire skill, it gives you a nice warning that you should turn straight away. It has helped me avoid many BB shells in the Pensacola and Nurnberg. You still need to be careful and listen to the tips others have suggested, even the other heavy cruisers can be killed by a BB fairly quick.

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,155 battles

Pensacola, not that bad. At first, i thought she's bad. But the more i play, the more i like her. She is very fragile, of course. But when she hits, she hits hard. And she is almost untouchable by carriers. No carrier would be stupid enough, even an Essex to send bombers after a Pensa or any American cruiser. 

Myoko... Damn, she is a fantastic ship to play with and certainly a "must keep" in your port. Fast, hard-hitting, AA is quite good. What not to like about her?

Yorck... Well... I don't like her at all. She has very powerful guns tho. But she is just way too fragile, even some what worse than Pensa. She has better range compared to Pensa but her sub-orbital shells just won't let you take advantage of that. Even a Kiev can out gun a Yorck as close range if the Kiev uses AP.

575 posts
5,354 battles

My question is which path should I take for a beginner CA line? I seek the guidance of Ye Olde Sea Dogs...

Having played all three CA lines up to tier 6 and 7 (IJN and US), I concentrated on KM line and now I'm just under half way to unlocking the Hindenburg. While each offers a variety of play, how one line fits your personal playing preference is what is important. Having played the Hipper and now the Roon, I tried playing the Pensacola and found there was no way I could continue with that ship. It doesn't even compare to the Yorck's abilities in my opinion. I'm having fun in the Aoba and looking forward to getting to the Myoko. The IJN and KM CAs have similar play; however, the KM CAs have the range and superior AP. Once you get past the Nukeberg and Yorck, you'll find the Hipper an outstanding CA to play. The answer to your question comes down which ship line will suit your play style.

580 posts
1,587 battles

Having played all three CA lines up to tier 6 and 7 (IJN and US), I concentrated on KM line and now I'm just under half way to unlocking the Hindenburg. While each offers a variety of play, how one line fits your personal playing preference is what is important. Having played the Hipper and now the Roon, I tried playing the Pensacola and found there was no way I could continue with that ship. It doesn't even compare to the Yorck's abilities in my opinion. I'm having fun in the Aoba and looking forward to getting to the Myoko. The IJN and KM CAs have similar play; however, the KM CAs have the range and superior AP. Once you get past the Nukeberg and Yorck, you'll find the Hipper an outstanding CA to play. The answer to your question comes down which ship line will suit your play style.

Pensacola, not that bad. At first, i thought she's bad. But the more i play, the more i like her. She is very fragile, of course. But when she hits, she hits hard. And she is almost untouchable by carriers. No carrier would be stupid enough, even an Essex to send bombers after a Pensa or any American cruiser. 

Myoko... Damn, she is a fantastic ship to play with and certainly a "must keep" in your port. Fast, hard-hitting, AA is quite good. What not to like about her?

Yorck... Well... I don't like her at all. She has very powerful guns tho. But she is just way too fragile, even some what worse than Pensa. She has better range compared to Pensa but her sub-orbital shells just won't let you take advantage of that. Even a Kiev can out gun a Yorck as close range if the Kiev uses AP.

Thanks for the useful advice the both of you :honoring:... Sure personal preference is a must but what I should learn is the Fundamentals of Effective CA Captainship... Sure I'll take on KM and USN CAs believe me, that's why I played both USN and KM CLs and had a blast but the KM took time to learn but it paid off greatly in the end (Heck even better than the Cleveland)... I guess it's just the way of the game that each nation has a distinct playstyle which we may/may not adjust to...

I'm just looking for a good "My First Heavy Cruiser" :child:... by the time I'm settled with CA gameplay I'll take on any vessel of that type... Maybe even gun it for KM once I'm squared away... C'mon you gotta admit, those KM ships always look mighty sexy... :B

Enoch presents a good argument about the Furious Taco (even though how fragile that tub is) at T5 as a Beginner's CA...

1,065 posts
2,628 battles

The Furutaka has pretty troll armour at the front and it's very slim. Couple that with relatively newer players who broadside a lot and you'll have some success with its AP shells. It's fairly decent post-buff with its biggest weakness IMO being the 13km range while the Omaha C hull has 14.8km and Konigsberg having 16.5km. 

As for the KM, the Admiral Hipper looks like a really sweet ship to go for, especially with the monstrous damage on those 203s. As for the USN line, they're not in the best spot at the moment with their slower shell travel time and are regarded as fairly mediocre unless you really want to go for the Des Moines. :D

575 posts
5,354 battles

Thanks for the useful advice the both of you :honoring:... Sure personal preference is a must but what I should learn is the Fundamentals of Effective CA Captainship... Sure I'll take on KM and USN CAs believe me, that's why I played both USN and KM CLs and had a blast but the KM took time to learn but it paid off greatly in the end (Heck even better than the Cleveland)... I guess it's just the way of the game that each nation has a distinct playstyle which we may/may not adjust to...

I'm just looking for a good "My First Heavy Cruiser" :child:... by the time I'm settled with CA gameplay I'll take on any vessel of that type... Maybe even gun it for KM once I'm squared away... C'mon you gotta admit, those KM ships always look mighty sexy... :B

Enoch presents a good argument about the Furious Taco (even though how fragile that tub is) at T5 as a Beginner's CA...

You're welcome. Listen, in my Roon I'm using the range extender mod which allows me to hit at 20.5km (or there about)! I was able to citadel 2 Amagis from range, they couldn't see me (using mod that reduces detection and camo too). At that range my dispersion is like 156m(?). This ship is deadly accurate if you don't rush your shots. I've seen Flamu do some extraordinary damage in the Roon and Hindenburg. Those two ship are the best heavy cruisers in the game, well at least in my opinion.

Super Tester
1,677 posts

Just some random bits from a terribad cruiser player:

- the US is all about glorious guns. If you can't deal a sore hurting at an enemy, you can damn well be sure that you can unload a lot of pain at the poor sap. Your focus as you progress is screening duties (AA and anti-surface) and generally being that person where you are most needed and your rather beefy integrity can help wonders for that. Pensacola at stock is probably your most problematic thing as the cruiser at first may be... "tenacious" in terms of handling.

- the Japanese focus most on being "strike cruisers". You are the direct opposite of a US cruiser as you are meant to strike first and if you can, as hard and as damaging as you go about your warpath. Start the engagement at your terms and the enemy is likely to bleed from every orifice as you blast them with your guns but take note: you can't take a beating unlike your US counterparts so when moderate damage hits you, you're going to feel a lot of it. Furutaka is your first adjustment and Aoba is your "seat warmer".

- the Germans are pretty interesting as the Koenigsberg and Nurnberg are the only deviations in the line. If any, behave as a class thug in lower tiers, laughing at enemy cruisers by and destroyers to an occasion by shelling them with AP (you can also surprise battleships at times by dealing damage that a cruiser normally can't) but never EVER take a hail of hits from anything bigger than you or a cruiser that can easily whack you out of the water. In higher tiers, I believe its to be expected from you to serve as part of the battle line if it is needed as a second tier shooter and as a screen to some capability. I don't see Roons or Hippers go on raiding parties or act as solitary raiders as usually I'd find them either nearby capital ships or other cruisers in the main wave tailing their destroyers.

[HKACC]
252 posts
2,830 battles

I heard Pensacola armor is bad, but I think all CA armor are easily get ruptured by AP Shell. As Aoba and Cleveland player, the different of the ship was in their cannon.

Cleveland had long range & better damage but the shoot angle is pain in the butt. Aoba are shorter and lower damage than Cleveland, but the shoot angle is low.

Cleveland are better use behind cover but suffer some dispersion. Aoba had better accuracy but quite useless behind cover.

People said Cleveland had strong armor, and it's not wrong to said so. Because when I met enemy Cleveland, it's not easy to get citadel on it. But, when I play Cleveland myself, quite often I suffer citadel. It's confusing.

I could buy Pensacola but postponed because Tier 6 give me better income than Tier 7. Still leveling my Aoba. If Aoba reach top XP, then will buy both Tier 7 CA USN and IJN.

Edited by MissMeMiss

[MEGA]
4,561 posts
17,548 battles

pepsi-can-cola's armour is just on a whole diffrent level of "bad", u get 360 degree LOLpenned by anything floating that isnt a CV,  I've seen them lose gunfights with USN DDs where the USN DDs dont even bother using torps..., heck, you could even get cithed by other CA's 203s by the front, her guns might put the fear of god into other CAs and even some BBs, but that armor just makes her a laughing stock

Super Tester
2,314 posts
7,094 battles

You must go through the Furutaka. She's a great teacher that rewards you greatly but at the same times punishes you heavily for your mistakes so you don't repeat them. At the very least, the current iteration of FTK is WAY BETTER than when I got her. Back when I was still training in her, she had BB turret traverse. Now it's better. 

As for skills, all my JP and DE CA have these for the moment.

Tier 1, 2, 3 repair

Expert marksman 

Superintendent 

As for changes in AFT, it doesn't affect me that much since I never had it anyway or ised it on my CLs yet. 

Yes for DE, they're WAY MORE fragile than JP but that range and reload speed, in good hands, can be murderous. I'm stuck at the patience testing Yolk. All DE CA got DD torpedo arcs.

As for JP, it's citadel city as well albeit more durability than DE. Guns are more reliable than USN IMO and those torps are a life saver against BBs dumb enough to sail point blank. But their torpedo arcs... Atago has DD torpedo arc.

As for USN, I rage quit at Cleaver

Beta Tester
1,043 posts
4,300 battles

KM: tier 1-4 skip
       tier 5 detonates every 5 games, range is huge advantage at this tier, good RoF
       tier 6 detonates every 5 games, range is not an advantage at this tier, good RoF but gun damage lags behind its counterparts

tier 7 best sh8p, takes tonnes of skill to use, heaviest gun KM cruisers and best HE and very good AP citadels nagato like butter at 10km, low profile unlike tier 8-10, does not detonate every 5 games, surprisingly good armor at KM standards

tier 8 HUGE, citadel is from bow to stern, very flat gun trajectory-very good for mid/low range pen shots/ very bad for long range, high AP damage but meh penetration, worthless HE, HUGE HP/SHIP/WORST CA CONCEALMENT, tirpitz style armor

tier 9 HUGE, improved RoF and gun trajectory is no longer very flat>big improvement, guns concentrated at stern and favors coward/defensive style gameplay, citadel is from bow to stern,high AP damage but meh penetration, worthless HE, HUGE HP/SHIP/WORST CA CONCEALMENT, tirpitz style armor

tier 10 HUGE, most fun cruiser, balanced gun layout, good trajectory/fast shell velocity/good RoF, high AP damage but meh penetration, BEST CA RANGE, worthless HE, HUGE HUGE HP/SHIP/WORST CA CONCEALMENT, IMPROVED tirpitz style armor, citadel is now normal,

Tips when fighting against KM CA: angle your ship, dont come close, and you win. torpedoes also are very effective as it has bad torp protection and has the agility of a fast battleship(tier 8-10).

Edited by Deicide

892 posts
7,853 battles

KM: tier 1-4 skip

tier 5 detonates every 5 games, range is huge advantage at this tier, good RoF

tier 6 detonates every 5 games, range is not an advantage at this tier, good RoF but gun damage lags behind its counterparts

tier 7 best sh8p, takes tonnes of skill to use, heaviest gun KM cruisers and best HE and very good AP citadels nagato like butter at 10km, low profile unlike tier 8-10, does not detonate every 5 games, surprisingly good armor at KM standards

tier 8 HUGE, citadel is from bow to stern, very flat gun trajectory-very good for mid/low range pen shots/ very bad for long range, high AP damage but meh penetration, worthless HE, HUGE HP/SHIP/WORST CA CONCEALMENT, tirpitz style armor

tier 9 HUGE, improved RoF and gun trajectory is no longer very flat>big improvement, guns concentrated at stern and favors coward/defensive style gameplay, citadel is from bow to stern,high AP damage but meh penetration, worthless HE, HUGE HP/SHIP/WORST CA CONCEALMENT, tirpitz style armor

tier 10 HUGE, most fun cruiser, balanced gun layout, good trajectory/fast shell velocity/good RoF, high AP damage but meh penetration, BEST CA RANGE, worthless HE, HUGE HUGE HP/SHIP/WORST CA CONCEALMENT, IMPROVED tirpitz style armor, citadel is now normal,

Tips when fighting against KM CA: angle your ship, dont come close, and you win. torpedoes also are very effective as it has bad torp protection and has the agility of a fast battleship(tier 8-10).

Alas, my Hipper seems to get detonated more frequently with 0.5.3:(

[151ST]
1,010 posts
4,494 battles

IJN CAs:
Furu - niche, work in groups
Aoba - a bit niche, Nice wolfpack pusher due to 2x2 203s front facing, superfiring. Starts the rear-quarter torps for IJN CAs
Myoko - slow turret turn, otherwise great ship
Mogami - Tier 8 Myoko with poor range comparitively to IJN CAs (15km) with the option of tripple 155s.
Atago - premium Myoko Tier 8, first with BB heal and 1 set of torps either side is front quarter. Great ship, great credit earner.

Ibuki - training for the Zao, get the FCS upgrade immediately or you will hate on life.
Zao - great all-rounder, deadly torps 8km, Tanky-ish.

Edited by S4pp3R