You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Black_Ice

0.5.3 Team Battles. Why such a late session time?

40 comments in this topic

Super Tester
527 posts
3,161 battles

http://worldofwarships.asia/en/news/announcements/ver-053-patchnotes/

New Game Mode "Team Battles"

In Version 0.5.3., a new experimental game mode, Team Battles, has been introduced.

In the ASIA Server, Team Battle mode will be held under the regulation indicated below:

• Event Starts: 18/02/2016
  • 19:00 - 00:00 (UTC+8) ... 5 hours per day
  • Tier Limits: Tier VI - Tier VII

"Team Battles" schedules may change according to server traffic statistics. The end of the Test Season will be announced in an latter occasion.

I am pretty disappointed to see this as a session time. 

In (parts of) Australia, that's a start time of 10pm AEDT. In New Zealand that's a Midnight start time.

It reminds me of the Clan Wars issues faced when that first opened in WoT Asia.

I was really looking forward to this mode, and yet those times make it impossible for me, and quite a number of other people to participate. 

Considering its a 5 hour window per day, I don't feel its really taking into account the wide timezone spread of the countries present on the server.

This game mode is our first available option for tactical play as a team. To be excluded from it really hurts my long term plans with the game.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Why they didn't base it off of Singapore time is anyone's guess. At least that would make it a bit more playable for you folks Australia and New Zealand.

UTC+8 is Singapore time. It runs 7pm-midnight Singapore time, which is primetime in Asia (Singapore/SEA, TW, KR, CN). Aus is 2-3 hours ahead, so its late night for them. I suppose the team battles time is more oriented to the correspondingly larger Asia playerbase, given that Aussies make up a pretty small percentage on players on Asia.
Edited by Syanda

Senior Moderator
1,129 posts

UTC+8 is Singapore time. It runs 7pm-midnight Singapore time, which is primetime in Asia (Singapore/SEA, TW, KR, CN). Aus is 2-3 hours ahead, so its late night for them. I suppose the team battles time is more oriented to the correspondingly larger Asia playerbase, given that Aussies make up a pretty small percentage on players on Asia.

Well west coast Australia (UTC+8) and probably central Australia (UTC+9/9.5) will be fine, only east coast and NZ won't be able to play comfortably.

Edited by ADM_dude

575 posts
5,354 battles

I stand corrected. I wasn't aware that is how they set it up. Still, it appears that our Aussie and Kiwi brethren are being a bit left out. Wow, that will mean there will be far less English speaking players involved then. Guess I'll not be involved then since the language barrier issues is like the Great Wall of China here on SEA. :P

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

Well west coast Australia (UTC+8) and probably central Australia (UTC+9/9.5) will be fine, only east coast and NZ won't be able to play comfortably.

The majority of us Australians do live in the east coast, however, since the major metropolitan and urban populations are mostly located along the eastern seaboard. As for western and central Australia, there are smaller pockets of metro areas such as Perth, but that's pretty much it (I mean, there's a pretty big desert spanning from the Gibson all the way to the Simpson Desert).

Right now I'm posting from work (naughty naughty), but by the time I get home, I have enough time to cook and eat dinner, do some bill managing work, and perhaps a few hours of early evening playtime. For me, playing late night games (e.g. around the midnight mark) isn't really an option, since I need to wake up at 6:30am. It's one of the common problems I've gotten used to, when playing games on Asian timezone servers.

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
944 posts
5,641 battles

In (parts of) Australia, that's a start time of 10pm AEDT. In New Zealand that's a Midnight start time.

I was really looking forward to this mode, and yet those times make it impossible for me, and quite a number of other people to participate.

Considering its a 5 hour window per day, I don't feel its really taking into account the wide timezone spread of the countries present on the server.

This game mode is our first available option for tactical play as a team. To be excluded from it really hurts my long term plans with the game.

Yep, I think that will sums up nicely what most Aussie and Kiwi players will think of the session times. +1

Senior Moderator
1,129 posts

The majority of us Australians do live in the east coast, however, since the major metropolitan and urban populations are mostly located along the eastern seaboard. As for western and central Australia, there are smaller pockets of metro areas such as Perth, but that's pretty much it (I mean, there's a pretty big desert spanning from the Gibson all the way to the Simpson Desert).

Right now I'm posting from work (naughty naughty), but by the time I get home, I have enough time to cook and eat dinner, do some bill managing work, and perhaps a few hours of early evening playtime. For me, playing late night games (e.g. around the midnight mark) isn't really an option, since I need to wake up at 6:30am. It's one of the common problems I've gotten used to, when playing games on Asian timezone servers.

Oh trust me, I'm well aware of us Australians.....I live on the east cost, am a full time worker and have the usual post-work admin to sort out as well ;)

Edited by ADM_dude

Beta Tester
486 posts
7,921 battles

Wait what, midnight NZ time ???? No !!!!

Really ????

How do I play with mates  from task force 44 now - like Dude and others said gotta get up early for work so playing till 3am is not an option

Edited by Kapitan_Zur_See_Hoffmann

Beta Tester
486 posts
7,921 battles

I stand corrected. I wasn't aware that is how they set it up. Still, it appears that our Aussie and Kiwi brethren are being a bit left out. Wow, that will mean there will be far less English speaking players involved then. Guess I'll not be involved then since the language barrier issues is like the Great Wall of China here on SEA. :P

Don't [][][][] [][][][] you m [][]n 

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

It's mostly during my work times.

Just do it like me and play it on the days you got no work.

It's supposed to be a competitive mode anyway, and continuous exposure to competitive gameplay usually

has a negative impact on one's character.

Point in case: Haku, the evil damage hogging monster that hates all of humanity and makes my Z-ROM soldiers miss all shots...

Hence I suggest to test it once it's available, see if you can find a sweet spot for yourself, and if it's still frustrating to be unable to play at more suitable times,

return and discuss it again.

This is pretty much the public live test to see if these settings work in an live environment.

Beta Tester
908 posts

Daylight savings is coming for aest soon.

It will bring it down to 2 hour difference if your in Sydney.

I may have a few games going merc at 10pm aest and see how they go.

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Daylight savings is coming for aest soon.

It will bring it down to 2 hour difference if your in Sydney.

I may have a few games going merc at 10pm aest and see how they go.

Dont forget to check the PM Slam :trollface:

Super Tester
630 posts
9,482 battles

Oh good 12am - 5 am in New Zealand, this is gonna be fun because I'm a fulltime NEET and I woke up 8pm today. 

But I can see how this would be annoying to normal people that go to bed around 10pm or something over here.

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

Oh good 12am - 5 am in New Zealand, this is gonna be fun because I'm a fulltime NEET and I woke up 8pm today. 

Heh, lucky you.

Man, I miss my student days, I remember the good old days of waking up at 2pm in the afternoon, going to 3pm lectures, having breakfast at 5pm, staying up all night, and then going to bed at 6am. University was the best.

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,562 posts

"Team Battles" schedules may change according to server traffic statistics.

The important bit, so if it looks like most Teams are online and playing earlier in the time block, but not so much at the end of the time block, WG will adjust the time block to suit (hopefully)

Super Tester
527 posts
3,161 battles

The important bit, so if it looks like most Teams are online and playing earlier in the time block, but not so much at the end of the time block, WG will adjust the time block to suit (hopefully)

Maybe, but its a bit of an vague promise. After all, they can not capture statistics from those who are completely unable to play due to the time. 

They will only have statistics from those who are mildly inconvenienced. 

WoT ASIA runs clanwars with a 7 hour window. With zones starting from 1600 UTC+8 to 2300 UTC. These times were specifically chosen because of the wide range of timezones the ASIA server represents. The proposed sessions for Team Battles is totally ignoring that the server is meant to be covering the same Countries.

A midnight start time might be peak time for the servers concurrent player base, but it is completely outside the prime time for New Zealand players. 

If we go back to the well repeated 'its better for us to be on the NA server'. At least if we were on that server we would be able to participate twice a week, on the weekends. With this timing on Server, Midnight is Midnight. Even the loser constraints on time for most people on a weekend does not change that.

Beta Tester
39 posts
2,123 battles

Maybe, but its a bit of an vague promise. After all, they can not capture statistics from those who are completely unable to play due to the time. 

They will only have statistics from those who are mildly inconvenienced. 

WoT ASIA runs clanwars with a 7 hour window. With zones starting from 1600 UTC+8 to 2300 UTC. These times were specifically chosen because of the wide range of timezones the ASIA server represents. The proposed sessions for Team Battles is totally ignoring that the server is meant to be covering the same Countries.

A midnight start time might be peak time for the servers concurrent player base, but it is completely outside the prime time for New Zealand players. 

If we go back to the well repeated 'its better for us to be on the NA server'. At least if we were on that server we would be able to participate twice a week, on the weekends. With this timing on Server, Midnight is Midnight. Even the loser constraints on time for most people on a weekend does not change that.

I feel sorry for our NZ brethren. But it doesn't surprise me as WG Asia continues to show its complete disregard for AUS and NZ players not only with the timings but forcing us on the atrocious Singapore server with its awful international cable links to Australia. And they wonder why relatively few AUS and NZ players still play WoWS.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

I feel sorry for our NZ brethren. But it doesn't surprise me as WG Asia continues to show its complete disregard for AUS and NZ players not only with the timings but forcing us on the atrocious Singapore server with its awful international cable links to Australia. And they wonder why relatively few AUS and NZ players still play WoWS.

You know that's not the fault of the server, but the absolutely terrible internet infrastructure in Aus, right?

Senior Moderator
1,129 posts

You know that's not the fault of the server, but the absolutely terrible internet infrastructure in Aus, right?

Whilst the Australian internet infrastructure is admittedly terrible in comparison to others, for most major population areas it's still enough to play warships comfortably. It's just the unfortunate situation that we have to plug into the rest of the world via sea cables. If you want bad internet, my internet at home is 1.5Mb/s and maybe 2Mb/s on a good day, so I play warships through my mobile and that's decent enough, my ISP even gives me extra data for free because my land line sucks. It's not amazing but I average a 105ms ping with little to no lag.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Whilst the Australian internet infrastructure is admittedly terrible in comparison to others, for most major population areas it's still enough to play warships comfortably. It's just the unfortunate situation that we have to plug into the rest of the world via sea cables. If you want bad internet, my internet at home is 1.5Mb/s and maybe 2Mb/s on a good day, so I play warships through my mobile and that's decent enough, my ISP even gives me extra data for free because my land line sucks. It's not amazing but I average a 105ms ping with little to no lag.

Yeah, I know. I have a better connection to the Asia server from the UK than people on the east coast of Australia