You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
CodingSession

Recommended DDs for ranked?

20 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
106 posts
2,843 battles

I'm a total noob at ranked battles. I've tried to participate in the recent season, but didn't have much time to play.

I've tried playing every class in ranked and find DD to be the least stressful class. So, I'm planning to grind some DD lines in preparation for next season. What tier 6 and 8 DDs would you recommend for ranked battles?

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,408 battles

On Tier 8 with current Ranked Battle mechanism, Benson is a must and the best, Lo Yang aswell.

Fubuki can be a little bit stealthy(just a little, only 300~500m difference compared to Benson/LY), might be able to capture a point with other ships help. Not 100% Suitable for direct fire actions.

Tashkent has good guns, but low concealment rating means you can not capture in peace. You have limited play style with this ship.

Benson B is good in close range combat and that is what you need. You can hide, invisible fire, invisible torp, capable to drive out enemy DD. With the torpedo buff for USN, they aren't just a pure gun boat now.

Lo Yang is actually a Benson Hull C with Sonar + Smoke equipped.

--

Don't forget the captain skills, you need a captain with atleast 15 skill points to play in high ranked :D

Edited by R3negade

87 posts
2,742 battles

some shoot, some torps, good spot: go for USN

no shoot, good torps,  good spot: go for IJN (actually IJN DD has good shell but poor range, poor dps, poor turret rotate )

when you have time try: Soviet  DD

[BOTES]
12 posts
5,689 battles

While there's nothing stopping you from playing any ship you like, these are the top performing DDs in Asia Ranked.

5uZtA1i.png

Of course, it's entirely possible to consistently perform exceptionally in a Fubuki in Ranked, but if you remove player skill from the equation and compare the ship stats pound for pound, you have better odds of winning in a Benson than with other DDs.

Edited by jujuham

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Each T8 DD pretty much has its specific role in Ranked - doing well with it requires you to stick with that role.

Benson and Lo Yang are for killing other destroyers on the cap in the opening stages of the map. They do this with high-speed torpedoes, fast traversing guns and rapid rate of fire. Their downside, the high shell arcs, doesn't apply as much due to the very short ranges - using either of these, you want to close to automatic spotting range of targets and let loose. Lo Yang shines at this due to its ability to mount hydroacoustic search, which means the enemy DD can't hide in smoke.

Tashkent is also a good DD killer, but cannot brawl with Benson and Lo Yang on the cap - if they close in, the Bensons' superior turret traverse coupled with DD maneuverability means that they'll likely outgun you at knife-fight ranges. Instead, Tashkents should engage DDs on the cap from a fair distance away - say around 10km, where the shell arcs actually become a problem. Tashkents are also capable of supporting fire on enemy CAs and BBs - they're better at this than all the other destroyers, giving them a bit of a role beyond cap zone security.

Fubuki's role is capture and area denial - using stealth to capture a point before enemy ships get in spotting range, then getting away while blanketing the area with long range torpedoes to force enemy ships to turn away until your teammates show up to defend. It's a lot harder to do well in Fubuki compared to the other T8 destroyers. The upside is, you can also direct the long range torpedo strikes to sink enemy battleships and cruisers, though this is equally inconsistent. Fubuki's outgunned by the other DDs, and can only do well shooting if they're distracted by something else.

Beta Tester
296 posts
12,493 battles

The main goal in ranked battle is to kill off all enemy DDs.

This will almost guarantee a win for your team.

Tashkent will never, and I mean never will be able to spot enemy DD so it is not an option.

You will be fired from CAs before getting close to cap areas.

Cap areas has become very small this season esp. on North map that even a Fubuki with max concealment will be spotted if an enemy DD is in the circle.

And yeah, this is the range where USNDDs excel, so no Fubuki.

Benson and Lo Yang have the ability to invisi-fire without concealment expert and this helps to safely knock off capture progress when enemy CAs and BB push to cap.

331 posts
17,077 battles

what ever you do dont use stock ships ..A stock fubuki is just mincemeat till you get  at least the concealment upgrade and long range torps youre also better not going into the cap as the first ship as this season sees to be very gunboat heavy.

If you have a 15 point IJN capitan use him and you will have the stealthiest DD at Tiers 7 an 8  only a couple of hundred m better than the benson with the maxed concealment.

Also your skill in the ship matters just as much as what ship it is take a ship you are familiar with and perform well over one that the that the statistic say performs better  just case of its performance.

211 posts
9,931 battles

The Kiev has been working for me (until i finish unlocking all the Benson modules)

but i would agree with most of the others and say Benson would be best

it can play every role that a DD is expected to.

[151ST]
1,013 posts
4,521 battles

I didn't play rank battle myself, but after read all the comment...

poor fubuki...

Yeah IJN DDs simply aren't good v DDs

In a CW/Team battles game theory you may bring 1 along, but generally speaking you are better off going USN/SN. This is more so with Ranked as you only have 7 ships.

IJN DDs also start losing potency after about tier 6.

It pains me to say this, as I love playing them.

451 posts
6,946 battles

Ijn dds have it the hardest when it comes to competitive, since they rely on enemy mistakes for damage. When enemies at a higher skill level make less mistakes it makes us dd drivers sort of..useless

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Ijn dds have it the hardest when it comes to competitive, since they rely on enemy mistakes for damage. When enemies at a higher skill level make less mistakes it makes us dd drivers sort of..useless

Correct that why i move to USN DDs and RU DDs :D:D:D

1,126 posts

yep, I like this line

they rely on enemy mistakes for damage

when I score a torp hit in my IJNDD, my though is .... well, he was careless, not my skill.

when I got hit by torp in my BB, my though is ... well, I was careless, not his skill.

Edited by PGM991