The_Big_Red_1

still no word on "universal" servers?

45 comments in this topic

64 posts
274 battles

WG have no plans in making the multiple servers for WoWs (North America, Europe and Asia) into a single server are they? wud have been nice if they did that way we all can meet lots of new people from around world instead of being restricted to the confines of the Asian server(s) and i myself live in the states (primarily playing in the NA servers) so that means i wud have to download a total of not one but two game clients which can be a real pain in the ass. what happened to the one size fits all mentality huh?

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,390 battles

Universal brings big problems such as connection and language barrier.

Why would one want to play on an universal server with high ping and someone that he can't communicate with?

I have 5 World of Warships clients :(

---

If you want to switch between servers in one client, there is a mod which alters your .xml to the region you like, but it isn't 100% work all the time.

Edited by R3negade

Super Tester
1,310 posts

Why would one want to play on an universal server with high ping and someone that he can't communicate with?

I have 5 World of Warships clients :(

---

If you want to switch between servers in one client, there is a mod which alters your .xml to the region you like, but it isn't 100% work all the time.

5??? :ohmy:

NA EU Asia RU PT ST @_@

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

You mean like this server instead of USA for someone in Australia?

We came here because we were promised better ping and better player numbers at 'normal' hours for WoT.

It's not what we got, and WG has refused to allow anyone to go back.

Ping isn't such an issue, stability is. I started WoT on USA (well in fact at one point the beta was in EU) and the ping was higher than here but was rarely a problem.

Interestingly enough, WoT ping in Asia had steadily got worse to the point that the ~165-180 with spikes and packet loss meant it was worse than USA's steady 200.

With the complete absence of communication and 6-10k players at usual hours and unreliable ping, I would never had moved had I known this was how it would turn out.

And WG would rather I don't play/pay either game than allow me to go back, which I've always found amusing.

Off-topic posting (post created to cause unrest on forums). Warning issued.

~Chappo 

Edited by Chappo

621 posts
2,271 battles

It's certainly a little strange. The technology is definitely there; I've seen multiple games (some with far less funding) capable of having players choose servers by the click of a button, so I'm wondering what's keeping WG back.

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,390 battles

It's certainly a little strange. The technology is definitely there; I've seen multiple games (some with far less funding) capable of having players choose servers by the click of a button, so I'm wondering what's keeping WG back.

Maybe the game contents is slightly different because they have their own marketing strategies.

Super Tester
2,725 posts

WG have no plans in making the multiple servers for WoWs (North America, Europe and Asia) into a single server are they? wud have been nice if they did that way we all can meet lots of new people from around world instead of being restricted to the confines of the Asian server(s) and i myself live in the states (primarily playing in the NA servers) so that means i wud have to download a total of not one but two game clients which can be a real pain in the ass. what happened to the one size fits all mentality huh?

If your concern is about having 2 game client, one for NA & Asia. Not familiar if the mod exist for WoWs as it already have for WoT, the switchable server mod? If I get the mod's name correctly? Try to find that.

64 posts
274 battles

If your concern is about having 2 game client, one for NA & Asia. Not familiar if the mod exist for WoWs as it already have for WoT, the switchable server mod? If I get the mod's name correctly? Try to find that.

already did last night thank jesus there is a "way" without having to download another game client

575 posts
5,354 battles

Well, if the developers of Path of Exiles can do it, I don't see what WG's excuse is. I play on the Singapore server with my good friend who logs into the server on the US and we have a blast. The reality of the situation is there's no excuse not to have a universal server where all the players can play one another in any of WG's games.

64 posts
274 battles

Well, if the developers of Path of Exiles can do it, I don't see what WG's excuse is. I play on the Singapore server with my good friend who logs into the server on the US and we have a blast. The reality of the situation is there's no excuse not to have a universal server where all the players can play one another in any of WG's games.

and there u have it people someone found a way to do it

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,390 battles

The related mod I know for this game is "The Seeker's WoWS Region Changer"

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Wait a moment, there's a huge difference between in launcher region changing, i.e. what a lot of games offer,

and having one account for every server.

The first one would be easy to do, but most likely falls under WG's "Mod exists, we have other priorities" philosophy.

The later opens a wholely different can of beans and has been tested on WoT for a short period of time.

Among other things were the highly increased stress put on the server and potential abuse issues.

For example exploiting regional specials or discounts.

575 posts
5,354 battles

Wait a moment, there's a huge difference between in launcher region changing, i.e. what a lot of games offer,

and having one account for every server.

The first one would be easy to do, but most likely falls under WG's "Mod exists, we have other priorities" philosophy.

The later opens a wholely different can of beans and has been tested on WoT for a short period of time.

Among other things were the highly increased stress put on the server and potential abuse issues.

For example exploiting regional specials or discounts.

They can fix that by having a universal server like EVE does and follow how POE does their game. There isn't an excuse for them not to do so. Heck, even GW2 has something very similar to that with their new super-servers. There's no stress involved. Abuse issues can be handled with a bit more pro-activeness and more ardent responses, especially with team killing and griefing. As for specials and discounts, they need to be the same for all players like POE, GW2, and the rest do. Catering to regional players can and does leave a bad taste in the mouths of those left out. How many times have we seen here on these forums and reportedly the others too that the raise a ruckus over not having what another region has?

Essentially WG's current model is designed in such a manner to maximize profits while superficially pacifying players. There are other things in that but I won't discuss those because I might get heat for it.

A server system like POE would open WG's games in such a manner that exposes players to the rest of the players where they can learn new and better ways to play thus either improving themselves and their game play or not. I would venture a bet that it would improve WG's profits too. Since having multiple servers to maintain and upkeep and personnel is eating at their bottom line.

1,068 posts
3,847 battles

If WG just made had a universal log in,and be able to select which server you want to play on that would be better.

You could choose based on ping,or even which one you could actually communicate on and have most of the other players understand you.

At the moment the connection to the SEA server from Australia has been variably laggy ( from what I have seen due to the Singapore-Australia cable getting frequently damaged ) since just after OBT.Plus your'e lucky if even half the players in each match even talk your own language.

On the NA server since I signed up there is has been a constant 105ms ping and very rarely laggy,and rarely is there anyone who doesn't understand you ( of course there are still trolls as well!).

As for regional events/specials,that's WG's problem,they set it up that way,and any grief over differences is of their own doing.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

As for specials and discounts, they need to be the same for all players like POE, GW2, and the rest do. Catering to regional players can and does leave a bad taste in the mouths of those left out. How many times have we seen here on these forums and reportedly the others too that the raise a ruckus over not having what another region has?

The only people that feel left out are the "Muh green grass on the other side, hurr durr!" kind of people.

And I would hardly call such a vocal minority making a ruckus...

They can fix that by having a universal server like EVE does and follow how POE does their game. There isn't an excuse for them not to do so. Heck, even GW2 has something very similar to that with their new super-servers. There's no stress involved.

Yeah... except that neither EVE (27k as of 2015) nor POE (All-time peak according to Steam charts 34k) have the player numbers WoT has.

Now add the 20 people playing WoWP and those playing WoWS.

Nope, no stress involved, that's also why other titles with large populations have unified servers... oh wait...

Heck, right now there's about 28k players online on all WoWS servers combined... and it's 0500 over here in EU,

i.e. in a few hours both RU and EU playerbases will start gaining in online numbers.

And again, the devs have tested server sharing before.

The negatives outweight the positives and they stopped development on it.

But then again who am I to make such bold statements.

Afterall I am a banana, and the only influence I have is over one's potassium intake.

KGb54DV.png

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,562 posts

You mean like this server instead of USA for someone in Australia?

We came here because we were promised better ping and better player numbers at 'normal' hours for WoT.

It's not what we got, and WG has refused to allow anyone to go back.

Ping isn't such an issue, stability is. I started WoT on USA (well in fact at one point the beta was in EU) and the ping was higher than here but was rarely a problem.

Interestingly enough, WoT ping in Asia had steadily got worse to the point that the ~165-180 with spikes and packet loss meant it was worse than USA's steady 200.

With the complete absence of communication and 6-10k players at usual hours and unreliable ping, I would never had moved had I known this was how it would turn out.

And WG would rather I don't play/pay either game than allow me to go back, which I've always found amusing.

And yet you remain on the Asia Server for Wows, even though you knew what the ping would be like, you knew what the lag would be like, you knew what the players would be like! so why are you still here, why have you not started a new account on the NA or EU server when we came out of Alpha or Beta? Instead you prefer to remain here and *** content removed *** about a problem that you yourself could have addressed.

You did complain during alpha (you did it on the TS, I was there) you complained again during Beta in the forums, and you are still complaining about a game you state you no longer play. If you are not happy with the state of the game, then please, go play something else!

General insults. Warning issued.

~Chappo

Edited by Chappo

Beta Tester
256 posts
4,189 battles

And yet you remain on the Asia Server for Wows, even though you knew what the ping would be like, you knew what the lag would be like, you knew what the players would be like! so why are you still here, why have you not started a new account on the NA or EU server when we came out of Alpha or Beta? Instead you prefer to remain here and *** content removed *** about a problem that you yourself could have addressed.

You did complain during alpha (you did it on the TS, I was there) you complained again during Beta in the forums, and you are still complaining about a game you state you no longer play. If you are not happy with the state of the game, then please, go play something else!

Perhaps, like many others, he has funds locked up in WOT that were supposed to be available here too. Remember all that "Unified Account" BS? 

That's the only reason I'm still here.

Edited by Chappo

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

So how would I have a "unified account" if my WoT is here and WoWS in USA?

To abandon the WoT here would mean losing access to any gold that might become usable in WoWS (whether WoWS actually ever does it is another matter).

The irony is I wanted to move my WoT account so I could have BOTH on NA. But, no, they wouldn't let me, would they?

So play the man instead of assessing the issues raised.

Is everyone here *** content removed ***, so incapable of asking "what might the long term implications of this be, and isn't there a better option?".

Perhaps WG is banking on exactly that. It would appear they might be correct based on the numbers who get personal with anyone who dares to ask reasonable questions, on this occasion someone with "moderator" advertised for all to see, telling me to "go play something else". What a brilliant business strategy.

General insults. Warning issued.

~Chappo

Edited by Chappo

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

Worth noting, however, that clearly there ARE technical issues for a mega-server as Retia pointed out.

That's true at least for the very large pops of RU and EU.

No, it's these smaller servers where the pops are low enough for MM to be clunky, and indeed hard to get decent battles for much of the 24hrs in a day. Allowing people to pick REAL TIME between USA and Asia could well create better results for both populations. Some on USA might be better off on Asia at times, and vice versa. But to insist on different logins seems incredibly ***content removed***.

Not even allowing relocation FOR A FEE once a year seems ***content removed***. If they can't manage that so as to make some customers happy and potentially even make money from it then I suggest they're not ***content removed***, are they.

Insults towards Mod/GM/Admin (minor). 1d RO issued.

~Chappo

Edited by Chappo

575 posts
5,354 battles

The only people that feel left out are the "Muh green grass on the other side, hurr durr!" kind of people.

And I would hardly call such a vocal minority making a ruckus...

Yeah... except that neither EVE (27k as of 2015) nor POE (All-time peak according to Steam charts 34k) have the player numbers WoT has.

Now add the 20 people playing WoWP and those playing WoWS.

Nope, no stress involved, that's also why other titles with large populations have unified servers... oh wait...

Heck, right now there's about 28k players online on all WoWS servers combined... and it's 0500 over here in EU,

i.e. in a few hours both RU and EU playerbases will start gaining in online numbers.

And again, the devs have tested server sharing before.

The negatives outweight the positives and they stopped development on it.

But then again who am I to make such bold statements.

Afterall I am a banana, and the only influence I have is over one's potassium intake.

My point is combined super server can be done with today's computer technology. Its being done now (even if the numbers are so low as you state it is). However, I will point out that EVE is one the longest running MMO and those numbers you have on them are 24 hours a day, it does not ebb and flow like WoT/WoWS/WOP/AW/SWTOR servers do. You neglected to point that little bit of important information. Super servers are being used for GW2, they don't have any stress issues. Stress issues is a cop-out. What it comes down to is WG does not want to upgraded to an engine that will allow such play on a set up like those I've mentioned. They are thinking short-term. Games like Eve and POE are looking at long-term because they are setup now for it. Why isn't WG? You see the difference? If you don't neither I nor anyone else can make you see.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

My point is combined super server can be done with today's computer technology. Its being done now (even if the numbers are so low as you state it is). However, I will point out that EVE is one the longest running MMO and those numbers you have on them are 24 hours a day, it does not ebb and flow like WoT/WoWS/WOP/AW/SWTOR servers do. You neglected to point that little bit of important information. Super servers are being used for GW2, they don't have any stress issues. Stress issues is a cop-out. What it comes down to is WG does not want to upgraded to an engine that will allow such play on a set up like those I've mentioned. They are thinking short-term. Games like Eve and POE are looking at long-term because they are setup now for it. Why isn't WG? You see the difference? If you don't neither I nor anyone else can make you see.

I would bring up things like how there's almost 130k players online on the WoT EU server right now.

Or how that's not even a quarter of what the RU server has online during the day.

And I would further bring up things like GW2's rather low population, or how it isn't an engine issue, because WG has already tested free server access,

buuuut:

KGb54DV.png