Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TaikoTaiko

USN DD vs RUS DD gun performance comparison

19 comments in this topic

178 posts
2,306 battles

Hello fellow captains. I have been mainly playing both IJN and RUS DDs and I find that I do consistently better at gun boats then torp boats. As I like both play styles I was contemplating switching to USN DDs to get the best of both worlds. How does the gun performance compare between USN and RUS?

Super Tester
1,310 posts

if there is a fight between USN and USSR DD

in close range USN DD will melt USSR DD. USN DD has both faster reload and faster turret rotation. and in close range where USN Shell arc is almost flat is really scary. also USN got better torp than USSR. 

but if the fight is happen in a little bit more long range.. (8km++) 

USSR DD will laugh at the USN DD high arc :D while their's can still hit effectively.

but again. its up to RNG to turn the tide or not.

for example. what if 1 salvo from 1 of them knocked out 2 of enemy gun permanently :D

Super Tester
1,310 posts

What about longer range engagements? I do like to harass BBs and CAs at 10 to 14 KM ranges in my Kiev. How would a USN DD fare? Taking into account AFT of cos.

well USSR DD will hit easier...

but they must pop them self out to do that..

while USN DD can do that in stealthy manner (invi firing). but their shell arc and travel time is not really nice for long range engagement (except for hitting a slow BB that is)

Beta Tester
1,825 posts
5,183 battles

It's certainly better taking an American DD if you want to harass enemy BB at extreme range. Soviet DDs have terrible concealment factor, they will be spotted every single time they open fire. American DDs are much stealthier, they can easily spam invisible shells at enemy BB from a safe distance. And remember, they have good torps too...

55 posts
1,452 battles

I actually think its worse harassing a bb at long range in a US DD. RU DD are the fastest ships in the game, 90 percent of the time I don't even have to turn, I just sail straight at 12+ km and bbs just cant hit me, even if they get perfect lead they will often miss because of dispersion anyways. Plus AP on the RU dds is insane, you can land constant 2-3k hits on a bb at your max range..., i've citadeled cruisers at 10km, and the closer... the better :trollface: you cant citadel anything in a us dd at that range for sure. Unless a cruiser gives broadside at like 3 km where your arc is flat enough you might, but even then...

If you want to use torps play US, if you dont care as much about using torps then play RU dd, and use the torps like secondaries. 

Keep in mind RU torps are lightning fast and you carry plenty to nuke a bb you can setup an ambush on! :great: :child:

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

if there is a fight between USN and USSR DD

in close range USN DD will melt USSR DD. USN DD has both faster reload and faster turret rotation. and in close range where USN Shell arc is almost flat is really scary. also USN got better torp than USSR. 

but if the fight is happen in a little bit more long range.. (8km++) 

USSR DD will laugh at the USN DD high arc :D while their's can still hit effectively.

but again. its up to RNG to turn the tide or not.

for example. what if 1 salvo from 1 of them knocked out 2 of enemy gun permanently :D

Agreed, while the RU DD's have nice guns, the slow rotation is still a pain at close quarters which is why US comes out tops for close quarters knifefights, plus the longer range torpedoes are better than shorter ones, albeit being rather slow

37 posts
3,526 battles
Russian DD - This is primarily GUIDE destroyers, and everything else is second.
The torpedo attacks they should only go out of the ambush.
US destroyers prosto.Ne it should be a lot of brain to play.

178 posts
2,306 battles

Anyone knows the typical shell travel times for USN DDs at about 9 to 11 km? I am hoping to find a play style in the USN DD where you dump torpedoes at a target or area then set BBs on fire while waiting for reloads. Someone please tell me its viable. 

55 posts
1,452 battles

Anyone knows the typical shell travel times for USN DDs at about 9 to 11 km? I am hoping to find a play style in the USN DD where you dump torpedoes at a target or area then set BBs on fire while waiting for reloads. Someone please tell me its viable. 

3.43536 seconds :trollface: 

Just kidding, Without checking the game Id estimate around 9-10 seconds. 

The RU DD tier 5-8 can place a shell at 11km in 6.8 seconds.

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,922 battles

Being able to play the Cleveland and Yorck's almost orbital shell arcs, I should expect to do fine

Yeap, the cleveland is a good learner ship, but the Clemson, Nicholas and Farragut are all excellent DD's, and the Clemson when fully upgraded had a 6 gun broadside and rather flat trajectory for its shells - I prefer it over the Isokaze as the Clemsons12 torpedo tubes pack a nasty punch as well
Edited by Blitzkreig95

Beta Tester
609 posts
6,785 battles

US DD's shell travel time to 10kms is about 8.5 secs from memory, with RU DD's travel time about 6.5 secs. It goes up markedly from there, with the US DD's travel time to 12kms being about 12 secs.  RU DD's travel time doesn't increase as much per km at these ranges.

Your playstyle idea will work, but is not optimal.  You'll do okay damage, but not good damage, to BB's at that range with guns.  You would be much better off primarily capping points and scouting for and killing enemy DD's.  Your high rate of fire means you will always have a good advantage over other DD's in close range where the shell velocity is not relevant.  You will be in a good position to torp targets of your choosing with this tactic.

It's very important not to over commit in your positioning, but also to make sure you're far enough forward to be effective.  Knowing this is the most important skill of a US DD captain.

My number one tip for US DD's is to zoom out one click from full zoom when you fire.  If you're in full zoom against a ship travelling at anything over 30 kts you won't see them on your screen at full zoom at any range.  Your fire will be much more effective when you can actually see the target you're aiming at.

451 posts
6,946 battles

They are both pretty balanced, it's like choosing between a nurnberg and a cleveland, both without a citadel

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

I am unfamiliar with USB dds but I have the tier 10 Russian Dd. Supposedly it has the best guns of its class, they do shoot OK, when they aren't blown up. Several times in the udaloi, I lost all turrets. The high tier dds suffer from this. Also, you will need to mouse wheel back 2 clicks, to be able to fire at fast moving targets, in sniper mode. You will be seen when you fire, so set yourself in a position to be able to dodge fire, if I sail straight while seen, I die , every time. Use the rudder shift MOD, the main gun MOD to reduce loss of turrets (it must help a bit, but not much), your aa is useless so don't waste upgrading anything for aa or torps. Get as much gun range and concealment bonuses as you can, and torpedo spotting, coz when hunting dds,  you gotta dodge the spam. Your guns power has been nerfed so a gun fight vs enemy dd will be a close affair, and by now you have lost a turret or two, so try fight them from 8-10kms out. Then they pop smoke and disappear, about now, prepare for a spread of torps.

Sign in to follow this