Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Flemboy

Air and ship launched torp activation range needs nerfing

19 comments in this topic

[AE]
199 posts
9,466 battles

shot-16.02.09_15.52.15-0626.jpgshot-16.02.09_15.52.18-0929.jpgNot a picture of me, but a teammate. Enemy torp bombers able to hit him successfully from over mountains, but within the length of his ship. 250m? Come on. Not remotely fair to BB drivers.

shot-16.02.09_15.52.15-0626.jpg

shot-16.02.09_15.52.18-0929.jpg

222 posts
3,269 battles

Whoa whoa whoa, I have nothing to say about the CV part since I'm not exactly familiar with the difficulties faced by them but I do not share your opinion on the

ship part. Do you have any Idea how dangerous it is to duel a battleship in a cruiser at open seas? Every km closer risks me getting killed by your goddamn cannons so if I  managed to get close enough for a guaranteed torpedo hit I at least want to get a reward.

I'll give you a tip on how to deter cruisers in short range if they are heading straight towards you A.K.A. at almost 0 degree angle. Aim at the intersection between the cruiser's bridge and its deck. I often die from close range battleship AP shells aimed at that location.

Besides you should understand that sometimes, close range torpedo runs are an act of desperation. So if you managed to get hit, blame RNG for not picking your side that day.

87 posts
2,742 battles

IJN's  aerial torpedo activation distance is shorter than USN.

you can find information in recent update log.

Edited by rattananen

Super Tester
1,310 posts

IJN's  aerial torpedo activation distance is shorter than USN.

you can find information in recent update log.

even tough they are shorther. their hit rate is lower than USN CV TB

if u manouver ur ship in right way. u will only need to eat 1 torp (2 max). if any1 is eating 3 torp(or especially 4 torp) from IJN TB. then its their own fault to let that many torp hit them.

as for USN TB.. prepare to eat atleast 3 torp (each USN TB torp has higher damage damage than IJN TB)

Beta Tester
404 posts
1,148 battles

if you're talking about reality

remember that this is a game

if you want realistic, wait for War Thunder or join the navy

if you're talking about game balance

it's absolutely fair

it's your own fault to eat 2 out of 3 torps from an IJN TB

[RANZN]
32 posts
2,128 battles

Hard to turn towards the torps when an island is in the way as just happened to me. The drop was much less than the length of my Kongo over an Island, which it had to be as that was the distance it was away from the island, the warning voice got out "Tor ..." The planes were more like dive bombers.

And yes, I like War Thunder for its realism, it sometimes seems that something is lost or misplaced to some extent in this game. Take AP vs HE my Kongo put 21 shells into a New York 18 AP for 16 penetrations and 3 HE the HE did more damage per round than per round the AP never sunk the New York though. Oh well it is a game.

Super Tester
1,310 posts

lurking around an island with sluggish ship like a BB is already a blunder mate....

u are not supposed to hugging island with BB...

using island as screen is ok. but hugging an island is . . . . . :fishpalm:

as for HE and AP....

HE does an average 1/3 damage in impact. but a VERY small chance to deal max damage

u dont even need to aim properly. as long as the shell hit something on the ship. it will deal damage

as for AP

u need to aim properly to get a good damage

with a good aimed shoot (and RNG bless) u can deal max damage with AP shell (citadel hit)
what if the shell hit very step angle? the shell will bounced = deal 0 damage even if it hit

then there is an over penetration mechanic... where the shell just hit 1 side of the hull then pass through the ship and get outside from another side of the hull... it will only deal 10% of the damage...(this is the reason of those 1k damage per shell on kongo)

while a normal penetration.. hit the hull. and blown inside (but not in citadel) will net u 30% of shell damage)

1,124 posts

oh come on!

don't you know that plane in this game can even dive under water!

drive along mountain slop just a few feet above ground and shore to launch torpedoes is easy as pie.

if they want I bet they can even dive through whole mountain!

got to admit, pilot of this game is godly skill...  he he he he:trollface:

Senior Moderator
1,129 posts

Hard to turn towards the torps when an island is in the way as just happened to me. The drop was much less than the length of my Kongo over an Island, which it had to be as that was the distance it was away from the island, the warning voice got out "Tor ..." The planes were more like dive bombers.

And yes, I like War Thunder for its realism, it sometimes seems that something is lost or misplaced to some extent in this game. Take AP vs HE my Kongo put 21 shells into a New York 18 AP for 16 penetrations and 3 HE the HE did more damage per round than per round the AP never sunk the New York though. Oh well it is a game.

and rammed straight into an island

Should have turned towards the torps.

I agree with Vyviel, should have turned into the torps and rammed the island. Not only would that have reduced your damage but the island could have provided you some cover from the two incoming enemy ships while you reverse out, which also would have allowed you to take a shot or two while you get some forward momentum. Doesn't look like any more aircraft are inbound so no threat there. Easiest thing to do would have been to come to full astern before you hit the island so you instantly reverse since your speed goes to 0 as soon as you hit the island. Plus you had a CA with you who would have been a good distraction while you set yourself up again. That's my take on it at least.

Alpha Tester
184 posts
2,083 battles

I have been torped by a CV from outside the play area, the planes are able to go out of the border and the torps come from outside the border. Part of a ship can cross the border but planes(an entire squadron) can fly outside and drop torps. Needs to be fixed.

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

got to admit, pilot of this game is godly skill...  he he he he:trollface:

They are so godly skilled they can land back on your ship's catapult even when you are at hard rudder and going at full speed and on fire.

575 posts
5,354 battles

if you're talking about reality

remember that this is a game

if you want realistic, wait for War Thunder or join the navy

if you're talking about game balance

it's absolutely fair

it's your own fault to eat 2 out of 3 torps from an IJN TB

This has nothing to do with being reality or an arcade game. It is about a mechanic that allows a player to make its torpedo run aiming through the island and dropping it on the beach. That shouldn't be the case. Allowing to do that negates the 3.5 second arming time and makes the torpedoes fully armed when they enter the water. This is the problem and should be address. If said CV dropped it in a similar manner in open water from the same distance, they wouldn't have time to arm and thus pass under the ship. I know, I've had it happen a number of times by turning into the attacking squadron closing the distance. However, you cannot do that with an island 250m or less away from you. This part of the torpedo drop is not right because what it does to arm time.

211 posts
9,928 battles

It is about a mechanic that allows a player to make its torpedo run aiming through the island and dropping it on the beach. That shouldn't be the case. Allowing to do that negates the 3.5 second arming time and makes the torpedoes fully armed when they enter the water. 

Umm what? are you saying the torpedo's are ghosting through land? that doesn't happen

in the screenshots the torpedo's have traveled the arming distance in the water, not the "through" the island. a unarmed torpedo does not bypass or travel through land if that's what you are implying

(or do you mean the island having no effect on the plane's flight path/bombing run or something?)

Edited by Apex1o1

575 posts
5,354 battles

Umm what? are you saying the torpedo's are ghosting through land? that doesn't happen

in the screenshots the torpedo's have traveled the arming distance in the water, not the "through" the island. a unarmed torpedo does not bypass or travel through land if that's what you are implying

(or do you mean the island having no effect on the plane's flight path/bombing run or something?)

Look again. The torpedoes are fully armed when they hit the ship. That means they armed the moment they hit the water. 250m is not enough time/distance for them to be armed in 3.5 seconds. I've had CVs drop them .7km from me on my BB and turned into them and they passed beneath my ship doing nothing. Because they didn't have enough time to arm themselves. When involving an island, this negates the time required to arm themselves. Otherwise they'd not exploded against that Fuso at 250 meters from the island.

211 posts
9,928 battles

Look again. The torpedoes are fully armed when they hit the ship. That means they armed the moment they hit the water. 250m is not enough time/distance for them to be armed in 3.5 seconds. I've had CVs drop them .7km from me on my BB and turned into them and they passed beneath my ship doing nothing. Because they didn't have enough time to arm themselves. When involving an island, this negates the time required to arm themselves. Otherwise they'd not exploded against that Fuso at 250 meters from the island.

Looks like they traveled the normal arming distance, I am not seeing the island affecting the arming distance in any way.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Look at the first screenshot - the torpedoes are not armed in that one. CV pilot pulled the drop off perfectly.

And no, that's not 250m. Eyeballing distances is extremely, extremely discourage in this game because of the distance compression and size adjustment. I bet, if you parked a ship in that location where the torpedoes dropped, it'd be listed as being at least 0.5km away.

Sign in to follow this