Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
flyingnunn

Carrier loadout customisation

12 comments in this topic

1 post
376 battles

I have been playing as a cv for a little while and the lack of choice for plane types is really making it difficult.

I think the devs should look at making it so you can choose the types of planes in the squadrons, so if you had for example the bouge you could have 1 db squad, 1 tb squad and 1 fighter squad or 3 fighter if you really wanted too.

Super Tester
1,310 posts

I have been playing as a cv for a little while and the lack of choice for plane types is really making it difficult.

I think the devs should look at making it so you can choose the types of planes in the squadrons, so if you had for example the bouge you could have 1 db squad, 1 tb squad and 1 fighter squad or 3 fighter if you really wanted too.

then

there will be a midway with 5(x6) TB flying in the air

or maybe a haku with 8(x4) TB flying in the air

HELL NOOOOO

121 posts

carrier sucks now m8..

i got bogue and i dont have 1.1.1 planes and $h**

its hard to play those ships because i got confused

and i kinda agree with that but you gotta limit them tho

and you cant just turn all of them into a torpedo bombers or nothin

Alpha Tester
210 posts
4,306 battles

Yeah, unfortunately, no. WG just got rid of the 2/1/1 loadout on the Lexington for performing "too well". People would just take the 2/0/2 loadout and put back that TB squadron, making it perform "too well" again.

[BOTES]
94 posts
3,501 battles

Yeah, unfortunately, no. WG just got rid of the 2/1/1 loadout on the Lexington for performing "too well". People would just take the 2/0/2 loadout and put back that TB squadron, making it perform "too well" again.

WG complained that it worked too well for a base loadout. In other words they couldn't find a way to convince lex players to waste another 15k xp (ie another 10 games at decent xp income) so they had to nerf the base kit in order to arbitrarily force you to upgrade. 

This is one of the traps of the F2P model - game balance suffers because of the need to waste the players time. It's all about those retention and monetisation strategies bois and people are more like to pay for a game they're invested in emotionally (even if the emotion is negative) than they are to pay for a game they already enjoy (ridiculous but go figure, asking for players to chip in $10 to progress past tier 5 would net them many more playing customers but they just can't do it).

Alpha Tester
210 posts
4,306 battles

Being a base loadout doesnt really matter, If a player wanted to elite their Lex, they would, regardless of whether or not the stock loadout is good or bad. WG also gets nothing by forcing a player to upgrade, the upgrades like, what, 15k XP? hardly anything for a player to use gold for.

So really, letting a player change even just one squadron, the Lex would go back to how it was before, just with a 15k XP price tag slapped on it.

[BOTES]
94 posts
3,501 battles

That's exactly why I said it was a decision by them to force an upgrade arbitrarily, because it extends playing time on that ship (for better or for worse, always assume the worst until proven otherwise). Also whether people want to elite their lex is irrelevant to the motivations of why the change was brought in, the change was introduced because people weren't upgrading. Because stock lex was internally balanced instead of gimping the vessel in some way or another. Effectively at the time of this writing going strike or AS on any USN CV is like trying to run a race with a sprained ankle. You either get the left leg or the right leg, your choice but you're getting whacked in the tendon either way. With lex stock rebalance (giving you 18 planes in 3 squads vs the 20 planes in 5 squads from stock shokaku) you can kind of see what they were aiming for (balancing stock vs stock) but you can also see where they failed hard (18 planes stock lex vs 24 planes strike OR AS shokaku, 18 planes lex vs 24 planes lex AS OR strike lex).

In essence the loadouts should be about how you choose a playstyle not about straight upgrades that are outright better in most ways than the base kit. But that's not the case and if one could argue that the way we're doing it now is the correct way I'm open to seeing that argument but so far it just looks like a cynical move to waste your time as a CV captain by not just hobbling you at the base level but pidgeon holing your ship if you take either of the upgrade routes.

Why couldn't stock lex have been 1/1/2? Would that have been so unfair?

I still prefer the kitswapping idea I already proposed above, 1 plane to replace. 2/1/0, 1/2/0, 0/1/2, those would be meaningful choices for a base kit and allow for the upgrade paths to have meaningful progression because you'd essentially be paying for the extra squad (2/1/1, 3/1/0, 2/2/0 - 0/1/3, 1/1/2, 1/2/1, 0/0/4)

These extra choices would help to reduce the rock-paper-scissors nature of CV currently too where USN cv can have a more adaptable meta to counteract whatever IJN are doing at a meta level. Very rarely see AS hiryu almost always strike hiryu because that's a straight upgrade for them with 1/2/2 becoming 2/2/2. They don't sacrifice anything.

Alpha Tester
210 posts
4,306 battles

Okay, let me ask you this. Have you ever been on the receiving end of 3+ torpedo squadrons dropping right into your side, taking you from full health down to a quarter health, or even dead? because i have, and it ****ING SUCKS! That is exactly what WILL happen, everyone will go with a torpedo bomber heavy loadout, everyone that isnt playing a carrier would get the shits and call for another CV nerf or quit the game, the game would turn into World of Aircraft-Carriers, and a match would be like playing duck duck goose, only youre always the goose.

You could argue that Cruisers would help, but they dont. They never, do. I have only once since the start of alpha come across a cruiser player who actually assisted in fending off aircraft. Its just not going to happen, and shouldnt happen. IF, it does, i damn sure hope that would be limited to fighters and dive bombers only.

783 posts
4,821 battles

I too want that kind of customization, the problem is that as Cyanide7662 already stated, that it will be overloaded by TBs.

The base problem as you may already know is just that TB>DB by a significant margin for both nations while having more FT isn't actually rewarding.

I'd like to suggest a compromise but it really would need a lot of tweaking.

Let the CVs be able to exchange Fighters and Bombers with a limit. The limit being that TBs should always be less than or equal to the number of DB squadrons. With this, USN CVs like Ranger and Lexington would be able to have a range of configurations from 4/0/0, 2/1/1 and 0/2/2.

Here come's the problems.

2 USN TB squadrons are severely OP. It's one of the main reasons why Midway is a beast at T10. And being in the enemy side of that kind of firepower is gonna be a nightmare.

For the IJN, I doubt anyone would like facing against 0/3/3 setups from a Hiryuu/Shoukaku again.

For both, it would make CV sniping a little too rampant. And if it were allowed, other ships would just simply be owned by a competent enough player running a FULL strike loadout.

Just my 2 cents.

(And lol, I gave a compromise suggestion but I myself shot it to the ground)

[BOTES]
94 posts
3,501 battles

Okay, let me ask you this. Have you ever been on the receiving end of 3+ torpedo squadrons dropping right into your side, taking you from full health down to a quarter health, or even dead? because i have, and it ****ING SUCKS! That is exactly what WILL happen, everyone will go with a torpedo bomber heavy loadout, everyone that isnt playing a carrier would get the shits and call for another CV nerf or quit the game, the game would turn into World of Aircraft-Carriers, and a match would be like playing duck duck goose, only youre always the goose.

You could argue that Cruisers would help, but they dont. They never, do. I have only once since the start of alpha come across a cruiser player who actually assisted in fending off aircraft. Its just not going to happen, and shouldnt happen. IF, it does, i damn sure hope that would be limited to fighters and dive bombers only.

I've given myself over 2 weeks to process this response.

Guess you missed the part where I said this 

I still prefer the kitswapping idea I already proposed above, 1 plane to replace. 2/1/0, 1/2/0, 0/1/2, those would be meaningful choices for a base kit and allow for the upgrade paths to have meaningful progression because you'd essentially be paying for the extra squad (2/1/1, 3/1/0, 2/2/0 - 0/1/3, 1/1/2, 1/2/1, 0/0/4)

Sign in to follow this