Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Sparcie

Dual purpose guns

6 comments in this topic

460 posts
8,327 battles

The patch notes for the upcoming patch have lots of people worried that it will kill CVs, partly due to dual purpose guns getting quite a buff.

Well what if the player with the DP guns had to choose between surface and air targets? The current ability that they can fire at both is a little unfair to both the carrier and the other ship they are shooting at! If they have to choose between shooting at planes or ships, a BB with DP guns for instance would lose the extra protection from DDs or planes depending on their choice. But if they choose correctly they would retain complete protection as it is now.

So how to implement such a system? For DDs with them (as main armaments) there could just be a third "ammo" type that gives control of the main guns over to AA and not be able to fire at vessels. For ships with them as secondaries perhaps just a toggle button to choose between one or the other? It's not terribly hard to do.

This small addition would add some extra skill (when to change from one to the other) for some ships.

334 posts
13,016 battles

It's not terribly hard to do.

And you know this how ? Serious question do you write code for games do you know what you are talking about ?

Super Tester
2,725 posts

So how to implement such a system? For DDs with them (as main armaments) there could just be a third "ammo" type that gives control of the main guns over to AA and not be able to fire at vessels. For ships with them as secondaries perhaps just a toggle button to choose between one or the other? It's not terribly hard to do.

This small addition would add some extra skill (when to change from one to the other) for some ships.

For DD with DP main gun, probably they magically shoot air target while you're firing on enemy ship. That what I think though! :unsure:

460 posts
8,327 battles

Actually yes I am a programmer, but nowadays do it mostly for fun as my job doesn't require coding. I have a few homebrew game projects in the works, but I'm not a commercial developer (not yet anyway).

I doubt WG would have trouble implementing many ideas with a proper development team, as long as it fit within the architecture of their code and didn't require a major re-write. The tricky part with game design is ideas and in a game like this balance (which is exceptionally hard to pull off).

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

Actually, the toggle is more or less already there. If you've been on the PT server, you'll notice two skills which allows your AA/secondaries to kill planes or surface ships easier, the caveat is you have to manually select the squadrons or ships as priority targets. If you don't do this, your guns won't be shooting at anything. They'll only fire automatically if you don't take those two skills, but they'll do this with a lot less efficientcy.

Of course, very few people actually tested it, and are content to just cry doom and gloom.

460 posts
8,327 battles

It sounds interesting, but I didn't get to try it on the test server cause it was up so little time and no one was on when I was so I didn't get any games... waste of time unfortunately, maybe I'll make the second round of test if there is one.

But it still sounds like the DP guns will still perform their magical simultaneous fire, and it's an optional skill (with some nice benefits). The new skills do look nice.

Sign in to follow this