Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TaikoTaiko

Optimal HE/AP usage on RUS DDs

7 comments in this topic

178 posts
2,306 battles

Good day captains. I've been playing on my Kiev more often nowadays due to my inconsistent performance in my Fubuki (read: I suck at it). I have been playing around with the Kiev's AP shells and was surprised to see a 1900+ damage on an Izumo that was 13 to 14 km away from me. With the lowered HE damage and fire chances on RUS DDs, I was wondering if firing primarily AP and only switching to HE on angled targets and other DDs the best thing for a RUS DD? Your opinions and experiences will be greatly appreciated here.

Edited by TaikoTaiko

Beta Tester
605 posts
6,759 battles

Firing AP from a Russian DD into the superstructure of BB's at long range is very effective.  I personally like to start with HE till I've set a fire or two, then switch to AP into the superstructure while the fires are burning.  You can pen the side armour of any ship broadside as well, but only at mid to close range depending on the enemy ship.  Of course if you get to that range against anything but a DD you're unlikely to be playing optimally.

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,372 battles

Good day captains. I've been playing on my Kiev more often nowadays due to my inconsistent performance in my Fubuki (read: I suck at it). I have been playing around with the Kiev's AP shells and was surprised to see a 1900+ damage on an Izumo that was 13 to 14 km away from me. With the lowered HE damage and fire chances on RUS DDs, I was wondering if firing primarily AP and only switching to HE on angled targets and other DDs the best thing for a RUS DD? Your opinions and experiences will be greatly appreciated here.

Good thoughts on dueling a large ship, but I still recommend you to do fire damage first then AP damages.

Udaloi upgraded guns and Khabarovsk guns has very good performance with AP shells

Edited by R3negade

55 posts
1,452 battles

So the consensus is to fire HE till the fire sticks before switching to AP? Got it. I do know that citadels are possible from 6km and below, but I think I prefer the superstructure pens from a safe distance. 

Yup, also remember that the bow and stern are not well armored (Harder shot be easy to do against a bb under 10km) and its sometimes easier to pen and do more damage aiming at those areas rather than the superstructure. But Id always recommend setting fires first no matter what, the fire damage and HE damage combined can be so deadly over time.

451 posts
6,946 battles

Glad to see that people are acknowledging the strengths of russian dds post-nerf. You are absolutely right, along with every person who replied in this thread - somehow 130mm don't give shits unless extremely angled.

This damage is possible and spammable with aft, which probably many captains dont have, hence the complaints

Sign in to follow this