You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
MissMeMiss

DD Torpedo active & armed from under 100 meter ?

18 comments in this topic

[HKACC]
252 posts
2,830 battles

I just got skin to skin with a DD, of course not contacted as it will blow us together, just very close enough. He launch Torpedoes and all of it perfect hit to me.

So just want to know, does DD torpedo armed and dangerous under 100 meter range ? I thought it need 500meter or so for the torpedo to active and surfacing.

Additional info, the DD is Farragut.

575 posts
5,354 battles

200m

As a retired Torpedoman, I have a hard time stomaching this especially when we are dealing with ranges that are represented by these weapons are capable of in this game. They should be a minimum of 1,000 meters; however, I could live with 500 meters. This alone could possible cut down on the 'accidental' team hits who are close by. But 200 meters...is ridiculously short.

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

As a retired Torpedoman, I have a hard time stomaching this especially when we are dealing with ranges that are represented by these weapons are capable of in this game. They should be a minimum of 1,000 meters; however, I could live with 500 meters. This alone could possible cut down on the 'accidental' team hits who are close by. But 200 meters...is ridiculously short.

with my background I tend to agree - but it's there as a balance mechanic

- that 200m is for all ship launched torps - AC torps have their own ranges

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

yeah - it's all to do with the distance/time compression weirdness that is used.

Lets face it if "realistic" was in place we would start a battle today and come back to it some time next week after only just exiting harbour lol

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

Too looooooooooong, I demand a nerf !!

ik5SGA0.png

don't take this serious :D

I don't even think you can fire your torps and have it arm in that image. I remembered it as 500m, or 0.5km.
Edited by Umidoori

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,442 battles

I don't even think you can fire your torps and have it arm in that image. I remembered it as 500m, or 0.5km.

Yes, what I see in my replay the arm range is about 300~500m.

Edited by R3negade

Senior Moderator
3,837 posts
2,602 battles

Actually, it's not based on distance, according to datamined stats it's time. All ship torps have 1 sec arm time. Air dropped torps have 3.5 sec arm time.

For ship torps, you can see the minimum arming distance denoted by the bottom edge of the green arc when you select torps. However, this is just a rough overlay and not strictly accurate.

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,442 battles

For ship torps, you can see the minimum arming distance denoted by the bottom edge of the green arc when you select torps. However, this is just a rough overlay and not strictly accurate.

So I should have dropped my god darn torp :izmena:

vidKHpw.png

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

It is how the game takes into account distance compression. If you look carefully, your ship is actually twice as long in game. So something that arms at 400meters in game actually arms at 800meters (uncompressed), give or take.

(And planes drops their torpedoes into the water from over 1km in the sky) :teethhappy:

Edited by Windforce

[HKACC]
252 posts
2,830 battles

Sorry if I don't have picture prove. My position with enemy however are nearly similar to Post #12, but the Farragut are portside and my ship nose point to the DD's butt, as because I thought it will be armed after 500meter, I'm quickly accelerate, try as I can to close up with the Farragut. We won't crash as the DD would surely pass me.

As I know, usually Not-Yet-Armed-Torpedo don't have orange/white triangle logo. But the enemy torpedoes just had that logo from the very beginning release from it cannon and my torpedo warning massage just blinking crazy.

even if u drop it. in this time u take SS

it wont arm :/

an that is 0.3km (300m) range.

so OP claim 100m torp arming time is nothing more than selfish claim.

But ReNation ... Dead_Man_Walking and Amade said :

200m

Actually, it's not based on distance, according to datamined stats it's time. All ship torps have 1 sec arm time. Air dropped torps have 3.5 sec arm time.

Maybe I'm wrong about 100meters, it could be 200meters or 300meters since it's happen in the center of the battle, shot coming from anywhere, teammate and enemies, so I don't pay attention to the exact number. But it's really close that if I make wrong maneuver could crash us and kill us both. But as the picture Post #12, the green line are not 100% valid, as admin says, so I presume, I got a little bit over 200meter between me and the DD. And yes, I can sense it had 1 second gap between DD's shot and impact to my ship hull.

One thing for sure, I won't make the same maneuver again as under 200meters is a risk maneuver and a little way over 200meters means instant dead to me.

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

Sorry if I don't have picture prove. My position with enemy however are nearly similar to Post #12, but the Farragut are portside and my ship nose point to the DD's butt, as because I thought it will be armed after 500meter, I'm quickly accelerate, try as I can to close up with the Farragut. We won't crash as the DD would surely pass me.

As I know, usually Not-Yet-Armed-Torpedo don't have orange/white triangle logo. But the enemy torpedoes just had that logo from the very beginning release from it cannon and my torpedo warning massage just blinking crazy.

But ReNation ... Dead_Man_Walking and Amade said :

Maybe I'm wrong about 100meters, it could be 200meters or 300meters since it's happen in the center of the battle, shot coming from anywhere, teammate and enemies, so I don't pay attention to the exact number. But it's really close that if I make wrong maneuver could crash us and kill us both. But as the picture Post #12, the green line are not 100% valid, as admin says, so I presume, I got a little bit over 200meter between me and the DD. And yes, I can sense it had 1 second gap between DD's shot and impact to my ship hull.

One thing for sure, I won't make the same maneuver again as under 200meters is a risk maneuver and a little way over 200meters means instant dead to me.

Just know that anything under the closest green line to the DD will not never arm. Anything on the green line is subjected to arming, or not, based on where it's launched from. It's wonky as hell.
Edited by Umidoori

Super Tester
1,310 posts

ok i did a little test with kiev in training room with target 0.3km (300m)

first i aim at ship part that pass outside green area 

Vn1e6MZ.jpg

y1TrCpe.jpg

5rw75cr.jpg

Result = DUD... not even 1 torp armed

2nd test

I aim the part that still inside green area (armed area). just a little forwrd

6bxkfJ8.jpg

lQsV4EQ.jpg

SCD80ey.jpg

Result = 2 Armed.... 3 DUD   only 2 of 5 torp armed. even tough i aim at the green area.....

3rd test. from 0.2km (200m) so cloooseeee

y4gvTyS.jpg

W511oWj.jpg

Result = Ofc DUD

------------------------------------------------------------------------

100m armed? :trollface: where?

[HKACC]
252 posts
2,830 battles

ok i did a little test with kiev in training room with target 0.3km (300m)

1 thing that I'm notice, that the range finder 0 km are the bridge. But as our ship reticle had it own range finder, we can have the good answer.

By looking at the picture, it's seem under 300m, the torps would surely dud/inactive.

In the 1st test, it's under 200m, all torps failed.

In the 2nd test, some of it are duds, but some are hits. Looking in detail, it's seem the the duds are torp that only travel under 300m (the left side), but the right side torps seem travel over 300m and surfacing+armed.

In the 3rd test, again, under 200m, same result.

It's seem the acceptable answer is that ...

Torpedo Shell are armed after 1 second after launch AND/OR as the green arc indicator (could be 250 170m~350meter, less or more).

The more faster the torpedo speed, the more meters it need to gain surfacing & armed. The slow the torpedo speed, the less meters it need to surfacing and armed.

Edit - additional info : Soviet DD, Izyaslav's Torpedo armed in 170meters, but yes, those green arc are indeed valid UI to define armed torpedo, BUT, each ships (with torpedo) had different range of it.

Txs Amade for the answer.

Thx for the test ReNation !

Greatly appreciated.

Edited by MissMeMiss