You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
war4sure

Tough Choices

25 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
845 posts
467 battles

So,this year I was planning to upgrade my 5 year old potato to make it up to date with the latest games.Part of this includes upgrading from my current Windows 7 to Windows 10,and jumping from GTX 750 to GTX 980 Ti. However,as this site shows(read the comments to see why),the R9 390X can give you more FPS on Windows 10 than than the GTX 980 Ti could do. I do check the prices and while the R9 do cost RM 400 cheaper than the 980 Ti, I have serious trust issues with AMD graphics ever since my last PC before my current one.Does anyone here who's on Windows 10 and actually using a R9 390X confirmed that the GPU really did give you more FPS?

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Im a AMD fanboi and i will say if you want to go for R9 390x just buy the GTX 980 or go with GTX 970 SLi if you really have budget yea go GTX 980Ti as you mentioned :D:D:D

Here video you should watch

Im running R9 390x atm (because im a AMD fanboi) and i will say if you really want to go AMD just wait for R9 4xx series 

+ try not to forget that R9 390x temp is way higher and consume more power with lower GPU speed compare to Nvidia GTX 9xx series and all you get is crappy driver form AMD as always :D:D:D

I buy R9 390x with fully know all this fact now you see how much AMD fanboi i am :trollface:

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

1,065 posts
2,628 battles

GPUboss uses synthetic measures which do not accurately reflect actual gaming performance lol. You'd be better off reading reviews from TechPowerUp of both cards to see how they fare in games played. You can use this site to compare how two different cards, though the selection of cards in the latest list is not very comprehensive.

If you're patient, maybe you could wait a bit longer for the next generation of GPUs and see how they perform. If they don't impress, you can always pick up a current generation card for a lower price by that time. :P

980 vs 390X

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1442?vs=1559

980 Ti vs 390X

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1496?vs=1559

Also, it looks like Microsoft is trying to push Windows 10 onto us users more aggressively. :D

Edited by EnochIsHere

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

GPUboss uses synthetic measures which do not accurately reflect actual gaming performance lol. You'd be better off reading reviews from TechPowerUp of both cards to see how they fare in games played. You can use this site to compare how two different cards, though the selection of cards in the latest list is not very comprehensive.

980 vs 390X

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1442?vs=1559

980 Ti vs 390X

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1496?vs=1559

Also, it looks like Microsoft is trying to push Windows 10 onto us users more aggressively. :D

Exactly !!! and GTX 980 clearly out performing R9 390x !!!

To be honest R9 390x is only better when compare with GTX 970 :D:D:D 

Anyways i pay for R9 390x :trollface:

1,065 posts
2,628 battles

Exactly !!! and GTX 980 clearly out performing R9 390x !!!

To be honest R9 390x is only better when compare with GTX 970 :D:D:D 

Anyways i pay for R9 390x :trollface:

You guys and your high end GPUs. :P

A few extra links to look at :hiding::

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_980/26.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/R9_390X_Gaming/30.html

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

High end but i use it for 5 years m8 :D:D:D

My previous care was HD 5870 :trollface:

Alpha Tester
845 posts
467 battles

I have been an Nvidia user since 2011,so changing to AMD seems quite of a challenge for me since I have been with GeForce for almost 5 years now. Anyway most of my budget are going for the GPU since I be settling with FX 8350 for my CPU(Zen took too long for me),though like Melon said,AMD GPUs with Polaris architecture are coming(and last I read,are actually in production,AMD said it should be available by April/May something mid-year)

Edited by war4sure

1,065 posts
2,628 battles

I have been an Nvidia user since 2011,so changing to AMD seems quite of a challenge for me since I have been with GeForce for almost 5 years now. Anyway most of my budget are going for the GPU since I be settling with FX 8350 for my CPU(Zen took too long for me),though like Melon said,AMD GPUs with Polaris architecture are coming(and last I read,are actually in production,AMD said it should be available by April/May something mid-year)

Are you going to be doing CPU intensive stuff like rendering and streaming? Most CPU recommendations I've seen always point towards Intel and their i5s for gaming. :D

Edited by EnochIsHere

Alpha Tester
845 posts
467 battles

Uh,I think you need to read carefully about my question.They said AMD runs better on Windows 10 than Nvidia did so I would like someone who uses Windows 10 and AMD GPU to come over and tell their experience.

1,065 posts
2,628 battles

Uh,I think you need to read carefully about my question.They said AMD runs better on Windows 10 than Nvidia did so I would like someone who uses Windows 10 and AMD GPU to come over and tell their experience.

Oh sorry, an early DX12 benchmark (tested between the 290X and the 980 Ti) found that AMD ran much better under DX12 so it might be a taste of things to come. Maybe Melon can shed some more insight on how games run for him. (But yeah, synthetic benchmark should be taken with a grain of salt).
Edited by EnochIsHere

4 posts
8 battles

GTX 980 Ti will never be a bad choice. I'm currently running SLI and everything is still pretty damn good. And don't forget the dev will optimize the game.

I'M NOT NVIDIA FANBOY. And don't care about DX12 atm because not every games will run at DX12. Only AoS is running DX12 and its benchmark doesn't represent the real performance of graphic card when running DX12. 

Alpha Tester
845 posts
467 battles

Are you going to be doing CPU intensive stuff like rendering and streaming? Most CPU recommendations I've seen always point towards Intel and their i5s for gaming. :D

At most point I just use my PC to browse around the internet but when gaming,I'm the kind that likes to push it.The FX8350 when mated with a powerful GPU can fight some of the i5 brethren(my brother uses i5 so I know). Someone makes a benchmark using FX8350+GTX 980 with BF4 at ultra and still achieve around 80fps.

1,065 posts
2,628 battles

Newer games are using more cores/threads (BF4 is well known for taking advantage of those cores) so it should be good for your needs except for maybe a few badly optimised games (lol Ubisoft). :medal:

Edited by EnochIsHere

4 posts
8 battles

FX8350 is actually not a bad choice for budget build. But it's hot and consume power likes a monster. If you want a value/performance build, you can stick with AMD CPU/GPU. But if you have more money for the CPU, I recommend you to take a look at the i5 6600K. :honoring:

Or find 4th generation i7 ( it's quite cheap now, lol )

Edited by Alliance_K

Alpha Tester
845 posts
467 battles

FX8350 is actually not a bad choice for budget build. But it's hot and consume power likes a monster. If you want a value/performance build, you can stick with AMD CPU/GPU. But if you have more money for the CPU, I recommend you to take a look at the i5 6600K. :honoring:

Or find 4th generation i7 ( it's quite cheap now, lol )

Unfortunately here an i7 CPU are downright expensive.They were priced around RM1.5K here.At that price,if I add additional RM400 I could get myself an MSI GTX 970 4GB OC Edition and go ballistic with it. FX8350 was only half the price at RM800-ish and when overclocked,can rival an i7 in performance.I purposely picked AMD to ease up the money on cooling(Corsair H100i FTW!) and the GPU.
Edited by war4sure

4 posts
8 battles

Unfortunately here an i7 CPU are downright expensive.They were priced around RM1.5K here.At that price,if I add additional RM400 I could get myself an MSI GTX 970 4GB OC Edition and go ballistic with it. FX8350 was only half the price at RM800-ish and when overclocked,can rival an i7 in performance.I purposely picked AMD to ease up the money on cooling(Corsair H100i FTW!) and the GPU.

Dunno the price in your country. But meh, I would recommend a i5 6600K + GTX 970 for decent PC. Well, I don't have enough love for AMD due the heat ( using FX 9590 and R9 290 way back then ). :)

Alpha Tester
845 posts
467 battles

Dunno the price in your country. But meh, I would recommend a i5 6600K + GTX 970 for decent PC. Well, I don't have enough love for AMD due the heat ( using FX 9590 and R9 290 way back then ). :)

i5 6600K prices still fetch around RM1K,and a decent motherboard for it can hit around RM 600-ish and above.So, Intel is currently out of my reach until I actually have a better financial status.

121 posts

i bought Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz [content removed] last night and installed it to my cpu and its more faster than my amd

but this bad boy is very expensive and i need to upgrade the cpu more

post edited. user already sanction.

~TheAzure

Edited by TheAzure

Alpha Tester
845 posts
467 battles

Okay,I made my mind.

My next build is a full AMD build. FX 8350 + Gigabyte R9 390X 8GB.

Best it's time to update me signature to reflect current decisions.

*Edit*

Realized PowerColor is too big for my case.Fortunately Gigabyte's take on the same card is small enough to fit,albeit a little more expensive.

Edited by war4sure

101 posts
1,247 battles

Yes this is more money than sense but hey I've earned my money ;)

"Huh, that seems like a cool build, lets check the price!"

>Scrolls to bottom

"NEPTUNE'S BEARD!"

Edited by Ninajim

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Okay,I made my mind.

My next build is a full AMD build. FX 8350 + PowerColor R9 390X 8GB.

Best it's time to update me signature to reflect current decisions.

Welcome to AMD team :D:D:D