Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
EvyL

The Leander cruiser

10 comments in this topic

Super Tester
1,679 posts

This is just me, derping around and badposting as usual.

I'm quite surprised about these gritty cruisers myself and even today I still wonder as to why the ANZ guys still do NOT have heavy cruisers given to them by the RN. Some of the Leanders modded or the Didos sure but heavy cruisers? Nooo.

I PRESENT TO YOU THE LEANDERS.

o559oo.jpg

Well... not really the lead ship per se but Orion is one of the sisters so its still technically fair. Glorious RN light cruiser.

These things are one of the early cruiser class the Royal Navy had for the time but was still in line in a way so they were quite extensively used alongside their newer light cruiser colleagues like the Crown Colony or the Towns. The design prospect was influenced by the York class cruisers so these trippy cruisers weren't all flush deckers and adding the fact that there was a ship restriction which limited cruisers as well to a max displacement of 10,000 long tonnes and 8 inch guns, even the British were hard hit at this time so you can't really expect them to make some of the more gritty cruisers because if they did, expect them to be potent anti-surface ships because of some of the guns in the naval arsenal, the British had made quite a few impressive ones, especially the BL 15 inch Mk I for capital ships which still served till the advent of the missile. But what you get, you work with, I suppose, as designing them to treaty specs was still the norm. They could have spammed cruisers whenever they wanted as the First London Naval Treaty gave em a little bit of breathing room but due to glorious bureaucracy, they kinda limited their cruiser building which was, in a way, en vogue for the time seeing as capital ships (the Washington Naval Treaty classified the battlecruiser to be in league with a battleship as a capital ship alongside the carrier so no building of that) were 'on holiday'. 

There were about eight of the things with three of them starting from Amphion onwards being modified and a few of em changing hands, most notably to the ANZ guys. One notorious ship of this class that still was that shocking was HMAS Sydney's going under because of flippin' perfidy by the auxilliary cruiser Kormoran which slugged several rounds into the light cruiser when she was really close as the aux cruiser was disguising herself due to Germany's penchant for commerce raiding apart from forcing Allied convoys to play 'pin the depth charge on the u-boat' in the Atlantic.

14kwuwi.jpg

HMAS Perth

How to Leander: the modified ships visually have two funnels because of compartmentalized engines so that in the event when engine 1 got hit, engine 2 was still sort of there to prevent the light cruiser from going all "look guys, I'm dead in the water! hit me!" in theory.

The Leanders were protected with about an inch and a half of belt(?), 3 inches of magazine, an inch of turret and an inch of deck with offensive armaments of eight 6 inch guns, a couple of DP 4 inch guns which were replaced later on withan improved variant, some HMG's and .303 MG's for the modest AA suite with two quad tubes on each side lugging around 21 inch torpedoes. No 40mm Pom Pom and Bofors for you. A few wanted to replace the dual mounts with triple mounts early on but the design studies found out that doing so needed a tiny bit of retrofitting and it would have a load of problems for the light cruiser... but that didn't stop them from doing just that with the Towns although the 6 inch guns on those triple mounts had this funny thing of dispersing too far because shell wasn't that chucked enough.

iqvlhh.jpg

Even with their modest appearance, they still served in their tenures as best they could. Three modified Leanders were given to the RAN with two of them sinking in surface action, Perth (former Amphion) going under during Sunda Strait and Sydney being trolled so hard its not even funny, Neptune of the unmodified ships played minesweeper and failed off the coast of Tripoli and two, namely Achilles and Leander, were handed to the RNZN. Strangely enough, only the Australians bothered to rename their ships. Are Greek mythical pplz not good enough?

In-game wise, I'm expecting the protection to be similar to her light cruiser colleague Nurnberg where EVERYTHING can potentially lolpen or even citadel her, her guns to be similar to the Cleveland in terms of load time and turret traverse with a questionable level of dispersion but I WILL be against her having railgun pen at her tier. I'm also expecting the late hulls to be of the Perth and her modified sisters in order to increase survivability because after all, the lead ship should have all the facemelts of her little sisters in this game. I also don't know what torpedo she may have but I'll expect a 62 knot torpedo with 10k minimum of damage with an effective range of 8km.

Derp.exe has stopped working.

EDIT: have a bit of brainfart. request to add "the" on the title mods. Thanks dead :D

Topic title updated at OP request.

~dead_man_walking

Edited by EvyL

Super Tester
1,679 posts

How about the York-class heavy cruiser next time?

Or the County-class.

Well to be fair, Exeter was done. Am just a lazy schmoe.

36 posts
2,915 battles

My avatar photo is the HMNZS Waikato (F55) from the subsequent Leander class of frigate.

Back on topic, HMS Achilles (prior to being transferred to the RNZN) was the first RN vessel to be equipped with fire control radar.  And, more famously, played a role in the sinking of the Graf Spee in the Battle of the River Plate.

168 posts
5,872 battles

My avatar photo is the HMNZS Waikato (F55) from the subsequent Leander class of frigate.

Back on topic, HMS Achilles (prior to being transferred to the RNZN) was the first RN vessel to be equipped with fire control radar.  And, more famously, played a role in the sinking of the Graf Spee in the Battle of the River Plate.

All good, except she wasn't exactly sunk by the cruisers, she was scuttled a couple days later after being unable to repair her fuel refining system and being forced back to sea.

Still it took a lot of balls for Ajax and Achilles to keep shadowing the Graf Spee after the Exeter (being the only cruiser present with guns bigger than 6") had all her guns disabled.

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,929 battles

NIce Evyl! (but what about the namesake ship Leander and Achilles - Crewed by NZ :P )

I hear the Leander herself was rather unlucky in that after a brief Mediterranean sortie, she was sent to the Pacific and badly torpedoed by a Sendai class light cruiser of the IJN - and that was  it for her war career, but her crew were transferred to the crown colony class light cruiser HMS Gambia, which replaced the Leander as the NZ component of the Royal Navy.

Achilles on the other hand, after the battle with the Graf Spee, was hit by a bomb on the X - turret and had the mounting replaced by a quad pom pom mount for the rest of the war - then she had a long service with the Indian Navy after WW2

115 posts
3,105 battles
On ‎4‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 2:59 PM, KiwifromtheTron said:

On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:56 PM, Assassin_062 said:

considering that Leander is my favourite ship. (Also only NZ ship in game)

yes Assassin, it should be changed out of the British line, and put in the commonwealth as HMNZS Leander!!  :Smile_izmena: if not, then maybe HMNZS Achillies added as a premium to the commonwealth, with a few added extras :Smile_coin:

[_POI_]
Beta Tester
2 posts
6,788 battles
Sign in to follow this