You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
IJN_Harugumo

Very funny WG, very funny

26 comments in this topic

634 posts
6,186 battles

Seriously? Three ships to defend home base in Hotspot? IS this some kind of joke?????? is still one of the most annoying maps to play. It doesn't get any worse than this does it????5RmaXk6.jpgtfuNJoH.jpgXberPBK.jpg

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,801 battles

1st picture. Ship spawns far away.

You are in a Nagato. You at least go 28knts to run to your friendly team. Imagine a Lolarado.

2nd picture.

It seems you turned into the enemy and tried to head south into the Islands. When you clearly could see you are alone without support.

3rd Picture.

OP regrets his decisions and decides to turn away. But the call was made too late.

10wpuet.png

Edited by Deathskyz

40 posts

blah blah

I seen these problems many times before (and some more recently as well), either your fault for going alone without cover or your "team" making their own push/bad decisions, in every random matches like this, you don't expect "teamwork" is a thing. Nobody willing to support you or help you push nor either save you from being sunk, you're on your own.

...sometimes i see our DD captains station at cap, they pop smoke and dump torps against incoming enemy ships, very effective and preventing our cap being taken. :)

Edited by AlexPlayWOWS

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

1st picture. Ship spawns far away.

You are in a Nagato. You at least go 28knts to run to your friendly team. Imagine a Lolarado.

Neat trick in a ship with 24.9kt top speed if fully upgraded. Or are you assuming flags that magically improve hydrodynamic performance?

Regardless, I'd have thought in that situation if I were to conclude I can't hold the cap with 3 ships I WOULDN'T TRY. If I'm alive when enemy presses the cap, I can return with allies. What's more, I can do so at a range that suits me. If I go ahead with insufficient force, however, especially when the DD and CA went to the middle where the enemy couldn't possibly encounter them thus leaving me their only target, I'll die and not defend the cap. The only difference is should my team try to defend, they're now doing so without my help AND I've had a crappy game.

Given that, I'd have thought the correct choice was blindingly obvious.

Apparently not. The number of clowns unable to think their way through a problem as simple as this is one reason I stopped playing, lol.

Edited by Steeltrap

575 posts
5,354 battles

Not sure why you're blaming WG for your team's bad decision making.

No, he's making the point that the unbalanced distribution of friendly forces by the game set up isn't working properly. 3 ships in one spawn area and 9 in another roughly 20km? Regardless if the team didn't move to that area (3 or 4 should have) the fact that spawn placement did this is messed up. I've seen it before and hightailed it out of there knowing they had a force across from me twice our number. This is something that really needs to be looked at by the devs. This should not be happening.

248 posts

and this is why people just look after themselves in public games.

i'm fine with it, i would have just run to the other side,

but please next time a thread comes up with people whining about BB's

not playing upfront let's all just remember this spawn shall we??

and remember that you cannot push in a situation like this.

you'll be lucky to survive let alone make any money.

renegade - "working as intended"

why would the devs intend to put a BB in a truly hopeless position

where he will be lucky to survive no matter how good he is??

what do you mean by that??

how is he supposed to defend the cap in this circumstance?

if the devs intended for BB's to run away from the cap to save their own skins,

then yeh i suppose it worked.

i'm truly baffled by your comment.

and "why complain" ?? - priceless trolling 10/10

Edited by fuzzjunky

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

No, he's making the point that the unbalanced distribution of friendly forces by the game set up isn't working properly. 3 ships in one spawn area and 9 in another roughly 20km? Regardless if the team didn't move to that area (3 or 4 should have) the fact that spawn placement did this is messed up. I've seen it before and hightailed it out of there knowing they had a force across from me twice our number. This is something that really needs to be looked at by the devs. This should not be happening.

I see it as a more interesting tactical problem compared to the mirrored, equal spawns. His team starts with a fleet concentrated in force with a choice of a direct straight shot towards the enemy base, coupled with a basic triad spawning on the allied base area for immediate defense. At this point, OP's team took the option of going diagonally across the map, putting them both in gun range of the base and able to respond to any possible attacks on columns 8 and 9, and moving to intercept ships that may be travelling through row G, H or I. The cruiser and the destroyer made the decision to attempt to link up with the main force, while two allied DDs go down column 9 to hunt, both of which aren't bad ideas. OP, on the other hand, made the decision to move forward unsupported and is in D3/D4 when contact is made, which is an exceptionally poor tactical choice, given that even stock, he can adequately shell cruisers/battleships moving onto the base from C5 or D5, which would have been the smart option to take. Even if an enemy destroyer moved onto the cap, he is in position to either steam in to attempt to detect, or wait for the allied cruisers/destroyer to turn back into the base to provide forward scouting while he provided heavy fire support. 

OP's team's questionable decision making comes in at around the second screenshot, where instead of detaching ships to defend B from range and reset caps when enemy ships moved in, they instead chose to charge to the enemy base instead in hopes of capturing it before their base gets captured. Note the cruiser in F4 in the third screenshot - that was the cruiser from OP's initial flotilla at spawn, turning away from the cap and not looking like he's turning up and back to get the base on his port side. The destroyer made the right choice, using their lower detection to turn up and into the straight at E3, where it could launch torpedoes at anyone pressing towards the base, either dealing damage or forcing the ships to evade, buying time. OP, however, is now suffering the effects of his initial bad decision to advance unsupported and is now in full retreat and under the guns of the enemy main force, resulting in his predictable destruction. Cruisers on OP's team failed to make use of that time to get in position to shell ships attempting to capture the base, though as you can see in the third screenshot, there are four allied destroyers on the enemy base, with two enemy cruisers dead and one battleship left alive (and possibly a hidden DD), which puts the team in an advantage. Not sure if OP's team won or lost the match, but chances are, they probably did.

See, what I find interesting about World of Warships is how decisions made in an early part of the battle can come back to bite you in the ass as the battle progresses. Planning ahead is integral to doing well in the game, and players who attempt to rely on rapid problem solving as the problems occur (rather than prior thinking and planning moves) are going to suffer, especially when playing something as unwieldy as a battleship.

Edited by Syanda

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Obvious base trade situation and the OP tried to play his flank as if there were more ships spawning there instead of protecting his team's cap zone from the island group or middle.

Bad life choices, we all pick them every now and then.

575 posts
5,354 battles

I see it as a more interesting tactical problem compared to the mirrored, equal spawns. His team starts with a fleet concentrated in force with a choice of a direct straight shot towards the enemy base, coupled with a basic triad spawning on the allied base area for immediate defense. At this point, OP's team took the option of going diagonally across the map, putting them both in gun range of the base and able to respond to any possible attacks on columns 8 and 9, and moving to intercept ships that may be travelling through row G, H or I. The cruiser and the destroyer made the decision to attempt to link up with the main force, while two allied DDs go down column 9 to hunt, both of which aren't bad ideas. OP, on the other hand, made the decision to move forward unsupported and is in D3/D4 when contact is made, which is an exceptionally poor tactical choice, given that even stock, he can adequately shell cruisers/battleships moving onto the base from C5 or D5, which would have been the smart option to take. Even if an enemy destroyer moved onto the cap, he is in position to either steam in to attempt to detect, or wait for the allied cruisers/destroyer to turn back into the base to provide forward scouting while he provided heavy fire support. 

OP's team's questionable decision making comes in at around the second screenshot, where instead of detaching ships to defend B from range and reset caps when enemy ships moved in, they instead chose to charge to the enemy base instead in hopes of capturing it before their base gets captured. Note the cruiser in F4 in the third screenshot - that was the cruiser from OP's initial flotilla at spawn, turning away from the cap and not looking like he's turning up and back to get the base on his port side. The destroyer made the right choice, using their lower detection to turn up and into the straight at E3, where it could launch torpedoes at anyone pressing towards the base, either dealing damage or forcing the ships to evade, buying time. OP, however, is now suffering the effects of his initial bad decision to advance unsupported and is now in full retreat and under the guns of the enemy main force, resulting in his predictable destruction. Cruisers on OP's team failed to make use of that time to get in position to shell ships attempting to capture the base, though as you can see in the third screenshot, there are four allied destroyers on the enemy base, with two enemy cruisers dead and one battleship left alive (and possibly a hidden DD), which puts the team in an advantage. Not sure if OP's team won or lost the match, but chances are, they probably did.

See, what I find interesting about World of Warships is how decisions made in an early part of the battle can come back to bite you in the ass as the battle progresses. Planning ahead is integral to doing well in the game, and players who attempt to rely on rapid problem solving as the problems occur (rather than prior thinking and planning moves) are going to suffer, especially when playing something as unwieldy as a battleship.

I don't disagree with you in what you're saying here. However, this being a public game...you see what most, not all, players do when this situation arises. They ignore it. The go on about their merry way and charge head long towards the enemy's cap. This is why it is vitally important to have a balance of forces in either spawn area. If it were 5 and 7, then its doable to defend and delay long enough that some of the others may get the idea they need to turn towards the cap and defend. 3 ships in the spawn area, I bet the other side said to themselves, "3 to defend? Everyone haul arse to their cap!" 5 ships should be the minimum in one cap. I think you can agree with that based on how most players in this game think...you, I, and others who think look at what's going on as you wrote here, are in the minority.

459 posts
8,261 battles

This instance of the spawn pattern basically guarantee's someone will make a poor decision.

The players in the small defending groups don't really know the disposition of the ships on the other side of the island until they see them (ie the fleet starts to come into vision) so it's hard to know which route to take. With these islands you don't get to see the enemy until you've travelled quite some distance.

Taking the right or wrong path is basically luck. It could well have spawned a small group of enemies the other side of the island and his decision to guard the cap would have been ok.

With a BB it's hard to reverse the decision unless you're in something like the Kongo (lovely ship :)) I don't blame the OP for being annoyed or sunk. The Nagato isn't as fast as was claimed, her speed fully upgraded is like 25 knots, and you have to turn around. This takes precious time, even for a Kongo. If a cruiser is close enough to shoot, you're probably not getting away. This is all fair enough, a BB is meant to be slow and require forward thinking, and it would be better to not be among many enemies alone. The trouble is on this map the information isn't available until it's too late, that's what makes this situation feel unfair, you can't know before it's too late, unless...

The only thing I could think to do is to send a DD scout ahead before really commiting to staying or leaving, whilst keeping in cover, then decide whether to run or not. But the great question is, would the DD captain do this for you?

Super Tester
1,397 posts
13,360 battles

and this is why people just look after themselves in public games.

i'm fine with it, i would have just run to the other side,

but please next time a thread comes up with people whining about BB's

not playing upfront let's all just remember this spawn shall we??

and remember that you cannot push in a situation like this.

you'll be lucky to survive let alone make any money.

renegade - "working as intended"

why would the devs intend to put a BB in a truly hopeless position

where he will be lucky to survive no matter how good he is??

what do you mean by that??

how is he supposed to defend the cap in this circumstance?

if the devs intended for BB's to run away from the cap to save their own skins,

then yeh i suppose it worked.

i'm truly baffled by your comment.

and "why complain" ?? - priceless trolling 10/10

Nice try.

What I am referring to is the team distribution, since OP said "Three ships to defend home base in Hotspot"

In this map, it is normal to see the base flank get less people. and this goes the same to the enemy.

Plus, no one have the control of spawning what type of ship on the spawn point.

So I don't get why this can be complained.

For your other questions "where he will be lucky to survive no matter how good he is??how is he supposed to defend the cap in this circumstance?" They are player related stuff. So I don't think if WG is involved here.

Edited by R3negade

211 posts
9,928 battles

it's all a learning experience,

next time he will know to fallback to cover the objective 

in all fairness you got flanked HARD

P.S. let your DD's scout for you, cause you know as soon as it gets too hot they will go stealth and leave you for dead. :P

Edited by Apex1o1

Alpha Tester
2,150 posts
486 battles

Players not reading the map and then choosing the option that is likely to fail but entails less risk to themselves.

What a shocking story. Truly amazing.

30 posts
6,538 battles

So basically, retreat and return to the attacking fleet and leave the base to the enemies then the attacking fleet capture the enemy base?:unsure:

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

So basically, retreat and return to the attacking fleet and leave the base to the enemies then the attacking fleet capture the enemy base?:unsure:

In that situation yes - slide across to the islands at the top where you can support either cap, focusing on support your team taking the other cap circle and finishing off anyone that tries to defend against your superior numbers.  THEN turn back and take on the enemy - you should have a numerical superiority by then.

Super Tester
1,296 posts
9,726 battles

This thread, is the exact reason why WG MUST NOT mess up the Team Battle option that is upcoming on the next update. The whole point of having that mode is so that you can tactically play along with your teammate (assuming there are in sync) and crush the enemy team with strategy. Likewise, enemy team will also do the same. But that's the whole point of having Team Battle, a mode where everyone can enjoy (to some extent) serious tactical battle with their friends where communications and tactics are vital to a victory, and possibly earn rewards (otherwise, like what most people say about the WOT Team Battle, a ghost town due to lack of reward system). If this mode fails to impress people, then likewise we're gonna get more 'random' ranting due to 'random battles', because its randomly generated that each players paired up with 'random people' such that they will have 'random tactical awareness'.

575 posts
5,354 battles

In that situation yes - slide across to the islands at the top where you can support either cap, focusing on support your team taking the other cap circle and finishing off anyone that tries to defend against your superior numbers.  THEN turn back and take on the enemy - you should have a numerical superiority by then.

Correct; however, a force should be left in place to keep pressure on the other enemies on the side the reinforcements deployed from. You never, ever leave your flank undefended, period.

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Correct; however, a force should be left in place to keep pressure on the other enemies on the side the reinforcements deployed from. You never, ever leave your flank undefended, period.

by heading to the islands top center of the map you cover the flank from a push 

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Im on the side of you can do whatever you want as long as you know what you are doing and understand the consequences :D:D:D

There no best moves, only decision and deal with it :B  

575 posts
5,354 battles

Yes you can; however, why would you allow the enemy get closer to support their own push? This is why blocking force is vitally important to remain in place to slow or turn back a push from a flank. This is basic tactics. With a blocking force in place in the scenario you describe, the force moving to aid at the cap, can support both forces. This is defense in-depth that allows the defenders to switch focus and punish those trying to make a break through. Why do you suppose whole teams camp a base area now a day? This is the same tactic I just described. Breaking it is next to impossible. The net results is you take severe losses trying.