Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
EvyL

the Benson destroyer

5 comments in this topic

Super Tester
1,679 posts

I didn't think I'd even do this destroyer class or a destroyer for that matter but I got reminded of what the USS Laffey of this class did during the massive brawl in the darkest of night which was Guadalcanal.

Still finding it funny that I badpost like this when I'm bored.

I PRESENT TO YOU THE BENSON.

eg7igz.jpg

I kinda like this destroyer's appearance myself. 

Also, I only noticed by now that the US destroyers were for famous naval people (Cmdr. Farragut: damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!), the cruisers being cities and battleships being states. I am error.

If the capital ships were the sledgehammers for a navy then the destroyers were the core ships which made up the strength alongside their cruiser colleagues, the Bensons being one of the ship classes that had served well in their run despite the low numbers, some of which were sent to the Atlantic and were also one of the shore bombardiers during Operation Overlord's D-Day landings. Well its not like they were bad but they were, by far, one of the few most solid ships despite that silly issue of them being quite a bit top heavy for a destroyer. There were about 30 "proper" Bensons made and 66 loads of Gleaves successors(?) which, to be fair, are more souped up Bensons with some of them being called the 'Bristol class' due to a certain ship of this subclass was still kinda very similar, if not identical that could pass off as a Benson sister ship and this "Benson v2" had about 15 ships being referred as "Livermore" after the Livermore ship. Seriously, were two shipyards contesting contracts on how to destroyer which had a load of repeats until the Fletchers and their souped up cousins the Allen M. Sumners came along to be one of the best destroyers the US Navy had? Things one can differentiate a Benson and Gleaves externally were the funnels/smokestacks, conning tower as the Bensons had a tall scanner usually whilst the Gleaves were shorter and the layout of the guns on deck as by silhouette alone, you can't really tell the difference between the two. The inside was a bit different as they had some of the varying engines which Livermore had and there were instances where there was a lot of strange naming with these.

5kps1d.jpg

Laffey (DD-459), by far, is the only ship in the class that had a manly tear inducing feat just by nearly getting rammed by Hiei and giving the fast battleship everything the small destroyer could unload in turn after aligning all offensive armaments at her before sinking an inglorious death.

2_zpsc23db4db.jpg

Laffey and Woodworth together. Note that the fifth gun just behind the second funnel on both was removed and replaced with a bay for two 40mm dual mounted Bofors and HMG's to bolster their AA suite.

The Bensons usually had an offensive armament of five DP 5 inch guns, a dozen HMG's, two quintuple tubes for the 21 inch torpedoes, some "slingshots" for thrown depth charges and a track in the stern for dropping the canister type depth charges which normally had a bigger blast but come with Laffey onwards, they had one gun removed aft to accommodate the two dual mount Bofors in a single AA bay, several 20mm Oerlikons and a single quintuple tube set with some ships including the Gleaves eventually having them as well because the aircraft were getting quite... overconfident due to their capability of sinking an object four times their size. The things could run about 38 knots at most and normally served as task force screens, pickets, patrol ships and the occasional sub frying. Of all the 30 ships in the class, its impressive to see only three went down fighting with the fourth being accidental and repaired.

2dccy81.jpg

The lead ship Benson eventually went into the hands of the Taiwanese as the first Lo Yang (DD-14) destroyer and eventually scrapped with a second Lo Yang with the same pennant being assigned to an Allen M Sumner destroyer USS Taussig. Seriously, where's this Lo Yang at TW?

In-game wise, I actually have no idea how the Benson performs due to being incredibly inept in how to destroyer but from the skilled players I did see, the Benson looks like the ideal skirmisher as it can get into the messy destroyer melee where torpedoes fire all around with its guns and tubes of its own, a harasser which can probably turn battleship players slightly neurotic by simply appearing, shooting with a chance to burn the deck and unloading their tubes, and getting the hell out of dodge (not like her Japanese counterpart Fubuki which is a devious smoke kemp invisibru ninja torpedo destroyer which can probably turn the slightly into full) just for additional fear factor, and an equal(?) gun duelist against its Russian counterpart the Tashkent (pray tell, why is it called the TRASHkent now? that speed is DELISHUS but I think that's the only thing delishus about her unless you lug around a concealment module as well as the commander skill and paint).

EDIT: glorious coincidence is glorious.

Derp.exe has stopped working. 

Edited by EvyL

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,929 battles

Great job Evyl +1 :)

Benson is a good ship, but after playing a lot of games shes rather situational too 

I chose the B hull as I like being the gunboat and every gun matters (cos MURICA!) plus carriers aren't as prevelant

Before her "buff" she had the choice of two torpedoes, slow long range ones, or fast short range

Problems now is that she only gets the slow long rangers, which are fine for torpedo spamming narrow channels but for those situations where you really need them to hit they ain't so reliable as most people are competent at dodging torpedoes.

40 posts

Am wondering what's the point WG buff USN DD make them better than IJN counterparts while they nerf all US cruisers, battleships (tier 8+ respectively) and carriers down to death? :sceptic:

Also i heard a lot of positive things about USN DD after buffs make me want to grind them soon (after i getting Minekaze), sure the their guns has orbital arcs which isn't effective at long-range, but well have to get used to it and let see how my patience gone so far...knife-fighting is actually one my favorite play-style. :)

Great written Evyl more +1 for you :honoring:

EDIT: Granted that i haven't yet grind a single mid-tiers or high-tiers, am the player who refer slow-grind but improving skills.
Questions:
1. How's Benson perform after she get buffs?
2. Between Benson and Fu"Bucky" which one is better?
Edited by AlexPlayWOWS

Beta Tester
760 posts
6,929 battles

Am wondering what's the point WG buff USN DD make them better than IJN counterparts while they nerf all US cruisers, battleships (tier 8+ respectively) and carriers down to death? :sceptic:

Also i heard a lot of positive things about USN DD after buffs make me want to grind them soon (after i getting Minekaze), sure the their guns has orbital arcs which isn't effective at long-range, but well have to get used to it and let see how my patience gone so far...knife-fighting is actually one my favorite play-style. :)

Great written Evyl more +1 for you :honoring:

EDIT: Granted that i haven't yet grind a single mid-tiers or high-tiers, am the player who refer slow-grind but improving skills.
Questions:
1. How's Benson perform after she get buffs?
2. Between Benson and Fu"Bucky" which one is better?

Benson is good, but torpedoes with slow speed (55 knots) and long range (9.2km) are very situational - only targets I seem to hit are either very distracted or at point blank range

Fubuki (I haven't got but faced many times) has ok guns but don't ever battle other DD's as it will lose, this ship is a long range ninja torpedo spammer

Both are good but my bias is Benson

Sign in to follow this