Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
FishyPower

A Cleveland guide for... (I'm too nice to say the word)

10 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,263 battles

Ok, so this is a guide to help all those people struggling with the Cleveland. First of all, despite what many people say, this is not a ship intended for HE spamming. My recommendation is that you loading AP shells and fire upon other people. However, this is not the Cleveland's best tactic.

Tactics (Offensive)

First of all, you want to find a suitable target. Don't pick on that is in the middle of a bunch of BBs, you are just gonna be an XP pinata. Chose a target that has decided to run away from its teammate. Its best if you can close into this guys and still remain out of range of his/her teammates.

After you identified a suitable target, you want to close in on your enemy up to a range of about 5km. This is where your shells fly on a flatter trajectory to its target. Now, what you want to do when you are trying to get there is to, of course remain unspotted. But it is hard to do so, so you find the shortest way to get to your opponent, and turn when he fires at you.

Now, you are at around 5km off your enemy. You want to train all 6 turrets on him, load AP and adjust your shots until they land in the middle of his boat, this will give you a bunch of citadel hits.

(Important Warning) Don't just spam AP if your shots are ricocheting off (Doing little to no damage), if this happens, either disengage if they are of higher tier or more skilled than you are.

Tactics (Defensive)

If you see a destroyer appear somewhere around 5km off your boat, start turning to about half of your rudder's maximum.This is to be able to quicking reach your maxium turning speed so as to avoid his torps.

Second, lure enemy CV's planes by turning off your AAA first, when they think you are retarded and proceeds to attack you, turn on AAA and use AAA barage.

Thirdly, if you see any torpedo planes coming suspiciously close, start turning to face them this way, you will have a head start in avoiding his torps. Or even better, if he hesitates and tries another run, you would have probably taken out 2 or 3 planes already.

Fourth, (The bomber planes version). If you see any bomber planes coming suspiciously close, start turning to show you side to them, this way, there is less chance of them hitting you.

Q&A

XP_On: Should I keep using HE to kill a DD in 5 or 6 KM range or use AP?

Answer: For DD use HE. However, if you know that the DD has torps reloading and is at rather low health (Around 5k), you might consider remaining in AP because the time used to change between HE and AP might mean whether that BB or CA gets that extra salvo fired at you. 

Well, enjoy this guide and if you have any tips, I be sure to edit them in!

Edited by FishyPower

2,579 posts
6,713 battles

simple question.......

i should keep using HE to kill a DD in 5 or 6 KM range or use AP?

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,263 battles

Of course for DD use HE, but then again, if you know that the DD has torps reloading, you might consider remaining in AP because the time used to change between HE and AP might mean whether that BB or CA gets that extra salvo fired at you.

55 posts
1,452 battles

Nice little guide, Im a huge fan of the Cleveland so something id like to add to fellow Cleveland players is: Load that Ap against ANY bb giving you broadside at 10km or close, and smile at the 5-6k salvo's while more people cry over this ship :trollface:

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,263 battles

Nice little guide, Im a huge fan of the Cleveland so something id like to add to fellow Cleveland players is: Load that Ap against ANY bb giving you broadside at 10km or close, and smile at the 5-6k salvo's while more people cry over this ship :trollface:

Actually, you can do muchhhhh better than 5-6k, if you land about 4 hits, assume each pens, you can get around 8k to 10k damage. Even better if you hit citadel. And also, you just reminded me of one more tip.

892 posts
7,853 battles

Actually, you can do muchhhhh better than 5-6k, if you land about 4 hits, assume each pens, you can get around 8k to 10k damage. Even better if you hit citadel. And also, you just reminded me of one more tip.

Indeed! Full broadside of AP into a parallel-sailing enemy CL is quite a sight to witness, "Bullseye!!".

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,263 battles

Indeed! Full broadside of AP into a parallel-sailing enemy CL is quite a sight to witness, "Bullseye!!".

Ikr, just had this match where a Omaha decided to sail around 4km off my boat. I proceeded to empty 12 AP shells in his citadel. Result? An angry player scream HAX!!!

Super Tester
293 posts
4,850 battles

Nice guide there, the cleveland has been seen as an all HE ship nowdays allthough in fact her AP cann stll do great dmg ,  especially on other cruisers in her tier, below and even above . Aimed properly her AP can do more dmg than her HE will do on a cruiser in a shorter time

Edited by Fadhz

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,263 battles

Nice guide there, the cleveland has been seen as an all HE ship nowdays allthough in fact her AP cann stll do great dmg ,  especially on other cruisers in her tier, below and even above . Aimed properly her AP can do more dmg than her HE will do on a cruiser in a shorter time

Luckly, I encounter way too many Cleveland using HE at cruisers and AP at battleships that they can't pen XD. Easy credits for me :D

Sign in to follow this