You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Kreigg

Please share your rig optimization tips, tricks, & know how right here...

54 comments in this topic

580 posts
1,587 battles

GOOD DAY FELLOW CAPTAINS & THANKS FOR OPENING MY THREAD! :honoring:

As the old slogan of any PC gamer goes "May your framerates be high, and your temperatures low".

I am opening this topic in the interest of everyone who wishes to squeeze out every last morsel of performance from their gaming machine. As we all know, not all of us have the beefiest of rigs and some of us have play on our lappys (me including) I wish to alleviate that by sharing you what I know to enhance our WoWS-ing experience.

AND NO FIGHTING BETWEEN TEAM RED, BLUE, and GREEN okay!? We know what those colors are so please keep it friendly in here! NO FAN-BOYING ALLOWED!

Although there is a video on the WOWS Asia website regarding video performance it's from the game's side only. What's shared here is from what we can do from our side and I hope everyone can share what they also know as well.

OK so to get the ball rolling I'll start. Now what I'll outline below are nothing technical, they're very user friendly but do require you to install freeware but don't worry these are safe and am currently using without incident for years:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.) GENERAL HARDWARE OPTIMIZATION:

I won't dive into complicated matters here, I'll just recommend a freeware which I swear by which has saved me many times before on heavy duty games. It's called Advanced System Care by IObit and I can vouch for what it can do. It's free and it's very user friendly. Just be careful of the usual installation check-boxes these utility programs come with. Once you got it installed just let it scan and put your rig in tip top gaming shape.

What makes the ASC so special for me is because of the Turbo Boost feature which basically shuts off all uneeded services and programs that consume RAM (and for us Low-tier rigs, every MB counts) when I start gaming and I can disable Boosting when I'm off gaming. On a sidenote, there is a paid version for ASC but please that is not necessary, the free version will do just fine.

Another utility to mention is Driver Booster also by IOBit. It basically checks and updates your components drivers whilst using a user friendly interface. WORD OF WARNING though, update the components you are familiar with and leave the rest alone. Sometimes newer drivers aren't always better ughhh...

There's still one more freeware utility I'd like to add but it's been so long since I used it. It's called GameBooster by Razr and it's just as the same as ASC but more suited for gaming but it requires you to make an account so that's a turn-off for me.

2.) GPU/GRAPHICS:

My knowledge so far is only limited to Nvidia and Intel Cards so my apologies in advance for team RED.

- Firstly for Nvidia Cards, a freeware utility I'm using is called the Nvidia Inspector by Orbmu2k. To make it work for WoWS you have to go to set the Driver Profile Settings to World of Warships and it'll take the rest from there. This utility has also solved some wierd graphical glitches in my other games as well (as long as I choose the correct driver profile per game title)

- You may play around with the FPS Limiter if you want to. I set it to cap at 60fps since my lappy just loves to hit it at 70-75 which heats up the darn GPU beyond a comfy 70C... You can also set the FPS limiter in Degrees celcius if you want to.

- I need not explain the default Nvidia Control Panel. If you have no idea what that is then throw yourself and your GPU away!.

- Secondly for Intel HD Cards, go to your Intel HD Control panel. You can go there by right-clicking on your desktop and it should be there as "Graphics Properties".

- On the main menu go to 3D, then select "Performance" in General settings. Also don't forget to enable "Application Optimal Mode" found below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep, I guess that's about all I can share from what I know. I hope these tips will enhance your experience with WoWS. I encourage everyone to please add on what you also know to help other captains get a more pleasant hunting experience.

My apologies for the long post but I only wish to be informative as possible to players who may not be as sharp with computers.

THANKS FOR THE READ and HAPPY HUNTING! :honoring:

1,124 posts

since every match I always start late from 30 second ~ 2 minute regardless the graphic setting

my optimum goal is.... buy a new laptop ...

(currently, I use lenovo y560)

when I buy it, it's one of top class.

sadly, now it's outdated.

575 posts
5,354 battles

since every match I always start late from 30 second ~ 2 minute regardless the graphic setting

my optimum goal is.... buy a new laptop ...

(currently, I use lenovo y560)

when I buy it, it's one of top class.

sadly, now it's outdated.

Buy a desktop instead, one that is designed for gaming and performance. They are far easier to update and maintain and better suited for games such as this one and others.

Currently, I have 3rd gen i7 in my box. I'm getting ready to update to the latest i7 and new mother board Z-97, new memory, and a new HD. They're 4 years old. Even with what I have now, I'm running all games on ultra mode without any issues...well except for SWTOR but they are using a bastardized version of the Alpha version of the Hero engine. My video card is the GTX 980 with 4 gigs of ram. I'll be set for another 4 years or so. This is less expensive than having to replace a laptop when I can just replace components as needed. Just a suggestion.

580 posts
1,587 battles

Buy a desktop instead, one that is designed for gaming and performance. They are far easier to update and maintain and better suited for games such as this one and others.

Currently, I have 3rd gen i7 in my box. I'm getting ready to update to the latest i7 and new mother board Z-97, new memory, and a new HD. They're 4 years old. Even with what I have now, I'm running all games on ultra mode without any issues...well except for SWTOR but they are using a bastardized version of the Alpha version of the Hero engine. My video card is the GTX 980 with 4 gigs of ram. I'll be set for another 4 years or so. This is less expensive than having to replace a laptop when I can just replace components as needed. Just a suggestion.

I'm currently using the Clevo W650SR, she's quite good but very noisy but she can hold her own decently against gaming (with the right tweaks)... but nonetheless Rebellious Yankee is correct... Desktops have more value per performance, the only disadvantage is that they're not as a mobile as a laptop... and you could do even more with the money spent on a new gaming laptop if you opt instead for a desktop gaming rig...

I know I'm saving up for one, going for Team Red on this one... Team blue is getting way too expensive for my taste sorry...

Edited by Kreigg

892 posts
7,853 battles

My rig is a core i5 4590 with 16Gb of RAM and pure SSD, all stock, no OC running Windows 10. Recently upgraded my GTX750ti 2Gb DDR5 to a GTX970 4Gb DDR5 in hope of improving the FPS. I previously got ~30 FPS with the 750 with some of the in-game settings (reflections, shadow, sea, sky, foliage....the non-essentials) at medium and my Nvidia Control Panel power option set for High Performance. With the GTX970, FPS is now ~40 with the in-games setting at high. Alas, I still see FPS dipping below 10 too regularly. I had set those to max before and the FPS averaged below 30! I suppose I will have to live with the current settings until I have more time to fiddle around with Nvidia Control Panel settings.

Next course of action under planning is to change my casing for better ventilation. Currently with a Jonsbo C3 casing and am seriously considering a Corsair Air 240. Hopefully with better air flow keeping my rig "cooler" things will be better.

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Im on da RED team :trollface:

im running on 5 (almost 6 now) year old Desktop atm.

Mostly i concentrate on Ram, GPU, and HDD speed because in my opinion those are component that really matter for gaming (just replace HD5870 with R9 390X and looking for SSD atm)

2 year ago i did run WoT on Macbook Pro Retina before (and i burn the whole mother board down lol) but it not really perform well in term of hardcore gaming :D:D:D

So i agree with RebelliousYankee better run Desktop if you want to get serious but since im a MSi fanboi i might get the Titan for travel carry :P  

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

580 posts
1,587 battles

Im on da RED team :trollface:

im running on 5 (almost 6 now) year old Desktop atm.

Mostly i concentrate on Ram, GPU, and HDD speed because in my opinion those are component that really matter for gaming (just replace HD5870 with R9 390X and looking for SSD atm)

2 year ago i did run WoT on Macbook Pro Retina before (and i burn the whole mother board down lol) but it not really perform well in term of hardcore gaming :D:D:D

So i agree with RebelliousYankee better run Desktop if you want to get serious but since im a MSi fanboi i might get the Titan for travel carry :P  

I've always played on Blue ever since but I'm switching to Red as soon as I have enough saved up... Anything I should watch out for? I'm gunning for the R9280X since they're quite alright for the budget coupled with the FX-8350...

MSI is also a good choice too for laptop gaming too since ASUS' gaming laptop series demand an arm or a leg if you really want those... That is if one does not really have a choice between laptop or desktop gaming...

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

I've always played on Blue ever since but I'm switching to Red as soon as I have enough saved up... Anything I should watch out for? I'm gunning for the R9 280X since they're quite alright for the budget coupled with the FX-8350...

MSI is also a good choice too for laptop gaming too since ASUS' gaming laptop series demand an arm or a leg if you really want those... That is if one does not really have a choice between laptop or desktop gaming...

You should watch out for your Power Supply first :D:D:D

The power consumption is really madness for Red side i dont know about your model but i have 850w for my set up since solely GPU is using around 400-500w in the peak time :D:D:D

And care about brand you picking, try to pick the brand you like and have a good local support (because i purchased MSi R9 390x and it wont even power up i need to go back to the store and exchanged  it with ASUS so i realized with that kind of price i should pick GTX 980 lol) 

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

1,065 posts
2,628 battles

The power supply is the one component you should never cheap out on, so be sure to pick a reliable model from this list. Most units that are made by Seasonic are generally regarded as very high quality.

As for power requirements for the 280x, you'll want a PSU with at least 30 amps on the +12v rail (it'll be shown in specs and the PSU sticker).

Edited by EnochIsHere

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

The power supply is the one component you should never cheap out on, so be sure to pick a reliable model from this list. Most units that are made by Seasonic are generally regarded as very high quality.

As for power requirements for the 280x, you'll want a PSU with at least 30 amps on the +12v rail (it'll be shown in specs and the PSU sticker).

I agree because if your PSU have some troubles it can destroy your rig in a matter of second :D:D:D  

good thing is there a tons of good PSU brand with reasonable price out there such as Seasonic or Raidmax and these day Corsair product are getting cheaper nevertheless always looking for 80+ model for reliability :P

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

1,065 posts
2,628 battles

Yeah, the last thing you'd want to happen is to have a potato PSU that ends up taking out another part or two with it when it dies. :D

Oh and don't forget to get MSI Afterburner for GPU overclocking or to set a custom fan profile to keep your card cooler/quieter.

580 posts
1,587 battles

Oh yeah that's right... Team Red does have some power and heating issues now that I remember... I remember helping a friend to fix his rig but to no avail since his el cheapo PSU did fry out almost everything save for the HDD and RAM...

I'm going for a Silverstone 80+Gold 750W... or 1000W(considering I may go duals in my future gaming career)... Is this brand any good over you guys are from?? It seems alright over here...

892 posts
7,853 battles

Oh yeah that's right... Team Red does have some power and heating issues now that I remember... I remember helping a friend to fix his rig but to no avail since his el cheapo PSU did fry out almost everything save for the HDD and RAM...

I'm going for a Silverstone 80+Gold 750W... or 1000W(considering I may go duals in my future gaming career)... Is this brand any good over you guys are from?? It seems alright over here...

I've been using Silverstone PSU on my rigs and don't have any complaints/issues

EDIT : Thus far.....

Edited by Xirvis

1,065 posts
2,628 battles

Silverstone is a fairly respected brand and that model you're looking at (ST75F-G) has favourable reviews so it's not a bad choice.

As long as you get a red team card with an aftermarket cooler you should be fine, The stock cooled 290 and 290x were notorious for running at ludicrous temperatures so it's worth the extra money to get one with a good cooler :P.

One thing you might want to look into is customer support. I know that EVGA from the green team has some of the best customer support available, though I'm not as familiar with the other side :D.

Edited by EnochIsHere

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

I've been using Silverstone PSU on my rigs and don't have any complaints/issues

EDIT : Thus far.....

I dont really know about that brand since is not available where i live but i recommend you should go for the 750w or less, 1000w is a good considering you want to do the duals in future but think about electric bill...

With 1000w psu it will dry up your pocket just to power up you rig, you better use that kind of power when you really need it in my opinion 750w is good enough (if you really want to do duals stuff better go for GTX 970) :D:D:D

View PostEnochIsHere, on 29 January 2016 - 08:53 AM, said: 

As long as you get a red team card with an aftermarket cooler you should be fine, The stock cooled 290 and 290x were notorious for running at ludicrous temperatures so it's worth the extra money to get one with a good cooler :P.

One thing you might want to look into is customer support. I know that EVGA from the green team has some of the best customer support available, though I'm not as familiar with the other side :D.

Yea if possible find a good old 290 or 290x is as fast as 390x with less price (since they using same chips) 8GB of Ram sound good but you really need 4GB  :D:D:D

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

892 posts
7,853 battles

Silverstone is a fairly respected brand and that model you're looking at (ST75F-G) has favourable reviews so it's not a bad choice.

Aye, my current GTX970 OC Turbo from Asus runs hot, hot hot!!!

1,065 posts
2,628 battles

Aye, my current GTX970 OC Turbo from Asus runs hot, hot hot!!!

That stock cooler looks nice, though they're not bad for multi-GPU systems since they actively push hot air outside the rear of the case :D.

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

To be honest Kreigg even im the true Red believer (thats why i buy R9 390x even i know is not a good deal) dont buy R9 3xx series :D:D:D

Here the video about R9 3xx series

If you have to buy it tomorrow go for GTX 970 (best deal atm) if not wait for R9 4xx series :D:D:D

Edited by MeloMelonSoda

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

The GTX970 gives you the best value currently.

I agree but thinking about add a little more $$ (and a mixture of Red fanboi) you can get R9 390x with roughly same performance with GTX 980 (See? im a true Red believer lol) :trollface:

211 posts
9,928 battles

If you have to buy it tomorrow go for GTX 970 (best deal atm) if not wait for R9 4xx series :D:D:D

it might be worth waiting for Pascal rather than getting a Maxwell with the whole DX12 and the async compute thing.

Beta Tester
4,888 posts
9,936 battles

Like an arm and a leg right :trollface:.

Not that bad :D:D:D

it might be worth waiting for Pascal rather than getting a Maxwell with the whole DX12 and the async compute thing.

Sure if you can wait (Which my HD5870 cant) :D:D:D