Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TaikoTaiko

Capping

15 comments in this topic

178 posts
2,306 battles

Hello fellow captains. I'm primarily a IJN DD player. Naturally as DD players, capping at the start of the game falls to us. But we must remember that the enemy has DDs as well and our DD might need help especially if the opposing DD is a USN DD. Very often I find that CAs are reluctant to push cap with me. I don't understand why that is the case since the moment DD reveal each other, it's in the team's best interest to sink the DD immediately. And it's not a matter of the DD out running their CA. A Fubuki does only 35 knt's and most CAs are around 33ish. Anyone have similar experiences or is it just me?

P.s.  If I had played with you before and found my performance lackluster, tell me where to improve. 

124 posts

Everyone would tell you to cap, but you'll also need to decide how to proceed on several factors.

CL/CA would definitely wants to kill DD for yo... I mean for them, but they'll rather try do that 14km+ away which they try to hit anything. Those who do that are generally afraid of incoming shells by enemy BB/CA/CL.

I am one of the CL that follow and support the nearest DD attempting to cap. Unfortunately, I would always be focus fired by enemy ships because the rest of the group always turned tail the moment they are within sight of multiple BB/CA/CL.

With the only exception of Tier V CL/CA players caught up in Tier VI-VII matches, they always charge full speed ahead :izmena:

Not many players understand how to support each other. From what I see, players are getting more selfish, i.e. more me kills, less me sinking.

So, just do your best at reading both your team mates' and enemy's movement. If your team is too far from you for comfort and show no commitment for show of force, prepare for strategic retreat and reassess your next move.

575 posts
5,354 battles

Hello fellow captains. I'm primarily a IJN DD player. Naturally as DD players, capping at the start of the game falls to us. But we must remember that the enemy has DDs as well and our DD might need help especially if the opposing DD is a USN DD. Very often I find that CAs are reluctant to push cap with me. I don't understand why that is the case since the moment DD reveal each other, it's in the team's best interest to sink the DD immediately. And it's not a matter of the DD out running their CA. A Fubuki does only 35 knt's and most CAs are around 33ish. Anyone have similar experiences or is it just me?

P.s.  If I had played with you before and found my performance lackluster, tell me where to improve. 

Personally, if I'm in my CA I will move up close enough to cover then entire cap circle to offer cover fire for the DD. Depending on the area, I'll even drive into the circle to help cap and cover. I did it yesterday in my Hipper and escaped with only 495 HP left after the DD and I capped. I'll probably not do that again...kinda put me out of action for the rest of the match...well limited my action to sniping from long range rather.

[RNZN]
53 posts
6,838 battles

If I am heading for a cap by myself I approach with caution as its likely that enemy DDs will be there with CAs close enough to hurt me if I get spotted for too long.

That said I dont usually pop smoke at the first sight of an enemy DDs as its a common, and natural, response for enemy DDs to pop their own smoke and turn away so usually LOS is broken or I can get out of detection range quick enough.

It does become a problem when you own CAs wont come up with you, or even worse go charging in after you have already fallen back when the odds are against you.

If you are in a group heading for a cap then go for it, hope your own team will cover you long enough to either get the cap, kill the DD or scare them off. If thats not an option then you need to consider falling back a bit and shadowing the cap so your close enough to put torps through as their main body passes through or to harass enemy DDs trying to move up.

You should not just fall back and try somewhere else unless its clear that the whole enemy fleet is coming your way or you have no chance of survival if you stick around. I have been luck more than once by getting a brief spot of CAs and DDs coming into the cap, falling back to the edge of torp range then dumping a spread into the cap for a few hits, at the very least its usually breaks up the conga line and reminds them to be wary.

Different maps do make for changes in tactics but the principles remain.

If on the other hand you have the numbers and the advantage, get in there pop smoke and keep out of sight, be aware of enemy torps but otherwise take the cap and spot for your team mates.

As a final point, I have begun to turn towards enemy DDs and ships at the first spotting as they often anticipate you turning away and will zero fast on you or have torps on course. A hard turn inwards and a spread of torps can throw them off and buy you time. Knowing where the islands are at this point is also a plus, DDs work well with cover.:)

Alpha Tester
982 posts

I'm halfway through my Kagero so I've done a few battles.

My system through the Japanese line has been:

If supported in CAP = be bold :izmena: & spam torpedoes.

If not supported in CAP = go there but be careful and stay on your side of the circle :child:. Spam torpedoes.

If not supported and there is (the rare one these days) a CV flying planes around the CAP = do not go there under any circumstances :hiding: but spam the area with torpedoes.

Lastly, always rejoice :medal: when you get support from teammates. However, never expect it :sceptic:

BTW, did I mention anything about spamming torpedoes???? :B

178 posts
2,306 battles

Thank you both for your responses. I appreciate the fact that you both realise the need to push with your DDs. 

@Quithelion 

What you mentioned in your last paragraph is perhaps what I need to do more often. But the only issue with that is that inaction by team often drags on till its too late.

@RebelliousYankee

A German CA closing into my location is something I fear. The sonar they have is actually pretty useful. I can't smoke and torp against them like against other ships. I had the unfortunate experience of being in smoke with no allied ship to spot for me and the Hipper switched on its sonar and (insert expletive) me up. Talk about role reversal.

178 posts
2,306 battles

Congratz on the Kagerou! I've recently unlocked it myself but I am 9 million away from buying it. Thing is I don't want to sail it in its stock hull and torps. So it's gonna take a long time. :(

Alpha Tester
982 posts

Congratz on the Kagerou! I've recently unlocked it myself but I am 9 million away from buying it. Thing is I don't want to sail it in its stock hull and torps. So it's gonna take a long time. :(

Actually, the stock hull and torpedoes are not that bad. In fact, I think it may be one of, if not the best, stock ships in the game. I had no trouble blowing through the upgrades (I did use a bit of beer induced free XP to get the last 10k of the torps :hiding:)

575 posts
5,354 battles

Thank you both for your responses. I appreciate the fact that you both realise the need to push with your DDs. 

@Quithelion 

What you mentioned in your last paragraph is perhaps what I need to do more often. But the only issue with that is that inaction by team often drags on till its too late.

@RebelliousYankee

A German CA closing into my location is something I fear. The sonar they have is actually pretty useful. I can't smoke and torp against them like against other ships. I had the unfortunate experience of being in smoke with no allied ship to spot for me and the Hipper switched on its sonar and (insert expletive) me up. Talk about role reversal.

Yeah, I understand you about that concerning the higher tier German CAs. I don't run mine with one but more as an AA platform...but I think I may end up changing that. 4.98km range detection is a life saver especially with torpedo spammers like Krieg sailing around! :)

Alpha Tester
982 posts

Yeah, I understand you about that concerning the higher tier German CAs. I don't run mine with one but more as an AA platform...but I think I may end up changing that. 4.98km range detection is a life saver especially with torpedo spammers like Krieg sailing around! :)

If the torpedo fits.........  :teethhappy:

(if it doesn't, push harder :trollface:)

Beta Tester
296 posts
12,507 battles

Use USNDDs in the current meta. You`ll be much better off defending yourself while trying to cap.

IJNDDs are basically taget ships until you reach Shimakaze at the moment.

TIer6-9 USNDDs have been buffed too much and are a master of nearly everything.

If you check the stats, IJNDDs doesn`t even have 'better torpedoes' now (especially when you compare Fletcher and Kagero).

892 posts
7,853 battles

Totally agree with Krieg. Just want to add, in maps where there are no cap points, I will always act as scout to spot for the team.

Have not played my IJN DDs in a while. Maybe after I complete the Myoko ARP fire missions...

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

It frustrates me when I'm heading for cap in a DD, and our CVs fighter planes go up the side of the map. Seemingly to nowhere.

Plz, plz, is it not possible to scout the other side of the cap for the team and me??.... If there is no one there, good, proceed up the side of the map.

Beta Tester
296 posts
12,507 battles

@nchnch

Shimakaze is my end goal but I might just grind the USN DD line just to save up enough credits. Fletcher is a very tempting ship to grind for.

yeah, wait for a IJN buff if it ever happens.

I actually have never used Kagero after closed beta.

I just whipped out my credit card and said NO. (before 0.3.0 iirc, Kagero had the worst concealment of all IJNDDs with STOCK Fubuki guns)

Sign in to follow this