Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
EvyL

the Dido light cruiser

8 comments in this topic

Super Tester
1,677 posts

First of all, I would like to apologize to the Brits for calling this ship "Dildo" and I blame ragster for egging it on in skype. I feel so bad misreading it. Second, I think I'll just BS post here in historical because apparently asking for why's out of curiosity will actually roast you for no good reason.

I've heard the Atlanta, which was an AA light cruiser (CLAA) in herself and was rather bad against surface targets, had a British counterpart that fares well in both roles but not the projected role of the US light cruiser's intent to be an AA monster.

I PRESENT TO YOU THE DIDO.

qs33op.jpg

GLORIOUS LIGHT ANTI-AIR CRUISER.

Well I'd rather grab a Crown Colony out of good looks but the Didos took my interest. Pretty sure of the ANZ guys New Zealand had a couple of Didos on their fleet as Australia had the Leanders on theirs (strangely enough, no heavy cruisers for the ANZ? UK, I am disappoint) but what is there to be said. There are only two iterations of the Didos that existed, one is Dido and the other is Bellona. Dido has the ubiquitous honor of having a third dual mount turret in the fore section, giving her the ABC-XY layout and Charybdis, one of the Dido class sister ships, had the most souped up AA suite of all of them.

14mxd7p.jpg

The Didos were protected with about 3 inches of belt, about an inch of deck, 3-5 inches of conning tower and a modest protection on the turrets. Their offensives were centered around AA defense and so were lugging 5.25 inch guns, with one ship Charybdis retrofitting to 4.5 inch guns, a couple of quadmount 40mm Pom Poms and .50 Vickers MG's, and two triple torpedo tubes on each side. However, the deck and gun layout on the Bellonas had them with only four dual mount turrets instead of their lead cousin's five but were compensated for reinforced AA suite as a result in the form of additional Pom Poms and powered AA guns whilst the Didos had normally manned guns at most in their AA suite with only Charybdis getting an upchucked AA suite despite going under with most of her crew with her in the English Channel during 1943. The speed could crunch to about 33 knots which is reasonably fast and served with their tenure.

254vrjc.jpg

Behold, the Bellona. Notice the glaring layout that differed with Dido.

About the 5.25 inch guns however, there were wonky problems. From jams to mechanical failure, the DP gun wasn't the best they got but it was the heaviest DP gun their is but it still served with constant maintenance and improved. Things were mounted on them and as secondaries on the King George V battleships as well as land based heavy AA guns.

In-game wise, I'm expecting the Dido to either be a tier 7 light cruiser alongside Atlanta as a prem but if it rolls as a normal light cruiser, I'll expect Nurnberg level reload with reasonable range and a strong AA suite to boot.

Derp.exe has stopped working.

Super Tester
1,677 posts

well atleast im not the only one who mispronounce her name

You know what's even more strange, Dido was the alleged queen who founded Carthage. A. QUEEN.

Let that sink in.

Alpha Tester
1,638 posts
7,230 battles

You know what's even more strange, Dido was the alleged queen who founded Carthage. A. QUEEN.

Let that sink in.

So I guess this was hers then? 

Or is that impossabell? :trollface:

Beta Tester
812 posts
2,681 battles

Let that sink in.

*gulp* for some reasons, im thinking that im one of those poor beheaded fella if the queen was a "off with his head" type, not to mention that some reference refer her as a goddess, oh poseidon, help me on this one...

Super Tester
1,779 posts
341 battles

First of all, I would like to apologize to the Brits for calling this ship "Dildo" and I blame ragster for egging it on in skype. I feel so bad misreading it.

d49gDjq.jpg

we all make mistakes~ :trollface:

@topic:

If we get a CL line, this would be a tier 7 or a tier 6 and a Premium ship of this class would be "Black Prince" wiki link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Black_Prince_(81)

580 posts
1,587 battles

I remember this SOB back in the N* days... Who else remembers this friggin' tub? Darn these things were harder than a block of ice in winter at the south pole...

24 posts
2,207 battles

Actually New Zealand got three modified didos. Bellona, Black Prince, and Royalist. The only reason the RNZN never had heavy cruisers was because our economy greatly differs from British economy, and because of the size of our many naval base.

Sign in to follow this