You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
EvyL

the Kronstadt battlecruiser

6 comments in this topic

Super Tester
1,677 posts

The Russians made some of the nicer looking battlecruisers, I can give them that. Its also a bit interesting to find out this ship had a lot of problems, be them material or the design iteration.

I PRESENT TO YOU THE KRONSTADT BATTLECRUISER.

w8bc0k.jpg

Glorious Russian battlecruiser.

Originally intended as heavy cruisers for the 1930's with designation "Project 69", these things all of a sudden had a design iteration change that made them into large battlecruisers for the most part, the biggest ships on the modern iteration at the time built were the Kirovs. Expected to be a counterpart to foreign navy battlecruisers such as the Kongos which had their retrofits in the 1930's as well as the Renowns and Hood having their retrofittings in the same span, it was one ship class that got plagued with problems, be them design, material and even the slipway where she was being constructed with both classes only reaching hulls and the happy gulag time which was the Great Purge Stalin initiated stalled the ship build a few more times when the Germans decided to pay the Russians a visit by steamrolling as quick as lightning towards Moscow, "requisitioning" anything they came across. For the most part, there are actually three names of Kronstadt used; the city namesake which is also a large naval shipyard, this battlecruiser, and a modern mine chaser. There were actually two ships that got keeled, Kronstadt and Sevastopol.

24eu98n.jpg

The things were protected with armor that was about 9-10 inches of belt, nearly 4 inches of deck, 12 inches of turret, and 13 inches of conning tower along with a 3 inch torpedo bulge derived from the American style protection on their dreads. Offensive guns were originally nine 12 inch guns in the AB-X layout that were to be prototyped but were quite late so they had to ask the German representatives in Russia that were present in accordance to the Molotov-Ribbentrop agreement if there are still 11 inch guns available for purchase which was replied with a none although new ones would be built albeit with the long duration so had asked for twelve 15 inch guns, the same guns that were to be installed on the Scharnhorsts but was all against it as they can't afford those two out of commission for retrofitting as of that time (so that's where the guns were to be sent... well to be sent as none were delivered due to German invasion), 6 inch guns for secondaries, two pairs of DP 100mm guns and several water colled 37mm's  that formed its AA suite. She was expected to reach a 32 knot flank speed but due to her design, she'd need a more powerful plant and hopefully the expected propeller system and the plant were optimum at best and they expected that she could beat the Scharnhorsts (funny thing is, the Scharnhorst reached 35-36 knots at full crunch during shakedown to the point the bow was constantly awash, so much that they had to refit her with a clipper bow but that barely solved the problem. her maximum speed in cruising was about 32-33 knots at most) and the Kongos in guns at medium range but may have issues blasting the French Dunkerque.

23mxavb.jpg

Then the purge happened, the Germans starting Barbarossa and both ships getting unfinished and scrapped eventually.

A strange thing to know however, was that Kronstadt had her stern built elsewhere as the slipway could not accommodate a ship of her size.

In-game wise, I'm expecting the Kronstadt to have a theoretical 1944 retrofit with a modular gun system. I suspect as well that its gonna have bad rudder shift as well as poor acceleration.

Derp.exe has stopped working.

Edited by EvyL

621 posts
2,289 battles

Must resist urge to make joke about the project number :P

Interesting read, I must say

Edited by T050189

Alpha Tester
73 posts
284 battles

The Russians made some of the nicer looking battlecruisers, I can give them that. Its also a bit interesting to find out this ship had a lot of problems, be them material or the design iteration.

Yeah, no!!! Pretty pictures though. Glorious Soviet Navy from the same place as the Wehrmacht 1946.

Dan