Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Sparcie

Cruiser retreat?

13 comments in this topic

460 posts
8,365 battles

I just had a battle that didn't go well because I attempted a manuever in order to retreat and wondered what do others do when they get faced with something like this.

I was in a cleveland heading down one side of the map, two BBs appeared at the other end (fuso and kongo) who clearly knew what they were doing. I kept myself angled and was closing the distance and took a few hits (including a citadel whilst angled... ouch!) . The area in front got too hot for comfort so I manuevered to retreat, but of course got sunk in the process. Silly me, shoulda known better than to try to turn around/away in front of a BB or expect my team to be doing anything useful.

So once you're effectively locked into going towards a BB in a CL/CA how do you get out of it (or is it easier to just not go into a combat hot zone? Might hold off until someone has scouted it next time). The BB's held fire to wait for citadels to shoot at, so turning is suicidal. Continuing on your course is a bad idea because the BBs have better shots up close and there were two destroyers which were just spotted. Friendly ships were being useless even though they were in the area so no help. Reverse engines might have worked, but it's mighty slow and leaves you vulnerable. Should you even try to break off?

460 posts
8,365 battles

It's pretty easy... Island in the middle of two brothers means you don't see the BBs until they can shoot you (remember how far kongo and fuso can shoot) but it can apply to any situation where you are near a BB looking at you and you need to change course, but can't given the danger of being citadeled.

So you're saying don't go where the action is? fair enough.

253 posts

If i am in that situation, i would slow down, wait for the enemy battleship to open fire, hope that it would miss me. Then quickly build up speed and turn away from him as fast as possible. Or maybe, sometimes you have to take risk and turn because keep sailing straight is likely to be a certain death. 

248 posts

yes as a BB i love it when Ca's get caught in this spot.

it's very nice when they turn away and give me a citadel to aim at,

the question "how did he get in this spot" is kind of silly,

with the whole invisible ships thing.

advice: a CA on it's own is not a good idea,

once you're spotted, slow down first. it will throw of my aim, and give you time to think.

play with your direction a little, left right, slow, fast,

with a 25 second reload, every time you throw off my aim

gives you more time to find a way out.

and yes like previously said, if you're going to turn do it in that 25 seconds,

and throw out some torps.

there is no perfect answer though. try and stay close to a BB,

because at that time the BB will also be in danger and he will have to help you out

Edited by fuzzjunky

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

It's pretty easy... Island in the middle of two brothers means you don't see the BBs until they can shoot you (remember how far kongo and fuso can shoot) but it can apply to any situation where you are near a BB looking at you and you need to change course, but can't given the danger of being citadeled.

So you're saying don't go where the action is? fair enough.

Not what Haku is saying.

If you're far enough in front in a cruiser that you're taking sufficient fire to kill you before you can turn, you're way too far in front and likely beyond the support of teammates. That reflects a flawed choice of tactics, specifically here.

I was in a cleveland heading down one side of the map, two BBs appeared at the other end (fuso and kongo) who clearly knew what they were doing. I kept myself angled and was closing the distance and took a few hits (including a citadel whilst angled... ouch!) . The area in front got too hot for comfort so I manuevered to retreat, but of course got sunk in the process. Silly me, shoulda known better than to try to turn around/away in front of a BB or expect my team to be doing anything useful.

If there were two battleships firing on you, the last thing you should be doing is closing the distance. Slow down, maintain fire, wait for other allied teammates to move up to take fire from you, or if they aren't around, wait for the BBs to be reloading and then turn to retreat. You'll take some lumps, sure, but the further you are from them, the worse their dispersion is going to be, which means you can hopefully evade without spending too many hitpoints.

In my case, I rarely go to flank speed in a cruiser right when the match begins - better to let destroyers/battleships make contact and reveal the enemies before committing to flank speed, so I never get caught in the sort of situation you're in where there are sufficient enemies firing on you that you can't turn without being citadeled. Destroyers are more suited for that sort of thing, not cruisers.

If you do happen to end up in that situation unavoidably, slow down while maintaining your angle, wait for battleships to fire, then turn.

Edited by Syanda

Beta Tester
93 posts
2,459 battles

Repsect to the op! Gets caned, comes to forums and asks for strategies instead of screaming hacking. Much respect!

Im a charger too. As in, when engaging, I typically angle in instead of away, so have found myself in your situation many times. Note this advice is mainly USN cas where u dont have torps.

The challenge is never to get that close, especially when Ur outnumbered and/or getting focussed. You have to turn at some point, or leave urself with no other option but to ram, so at about the 10-12 km mark watch the timing of their shots and make Ur turn during their reload. Turn completely 180 to them to try and minimise damage on retreat, or if terrain is neaby make a bee line for that, with the zig zagging.

460 posts
8,365 battles

I realised I was in danger at quite some distance away (about 15k), but once you angled towards them you're kinda locked in cause if you turn they'll citadel you. The point is I realised the danger quite early on but was stuck essentially moving forward because of the BBs guns. I clearly mis-timed my exit maneuver, but as some have stated it's probably better not to be there in the first place in this particular instance.

The trouble was the two friendly BBs didn't move up (two kongos) and tried to do the stupid snipe from the back of them map then hid behind islands. Had I stuck with them I'd have been out of my gun range and likely broadside on (cause that's what they did).

The enemy BBs knew what they were doing in the sense that they held their fire waiting for the citadel chance although one took an earlier shot and got quite lucky. There were other ships to shoot at which they did occasionally, but being two of them and the Fuso with a quicker reload I'd have had probably 15 seconds to turn even if they continuously fired their guns.

Super Tester
1,677 posts

Question still stands: why in the world were you there putting your head in the tip of the spear exposing yourself to the line of fire? Did you read Syanda's bit at all?

No matter the manly tear inducing feat of having a cruiser engage a battleship very close and hoping their rounds overpen is, you shouldn't have moved up alone, especially having two battleships bead you who clearly know what they're doing. What they did is what even I would opt to do in one, hold fire until you move to maneuver away which at that time you show your flat side during turning I can unload at you, especially at 13-15km where dispersion is a bit more forgiving even to a Fuso. What just happened is that you propped yourself up as a willing target by attempting to get into effective firing range without support.

Edited by EvyL

460 posts
8,365 battles

I think _You've_ not read my posts where I've acknowledged perhaps I shouldn't have been there, but if you do get in that place (by accident, stupidity or otherwise) what do you do to get out of it? I wasn't alone, you don't have to be for this to be a problem, it's good play on the enemies part that made this a problem so I'd rather not complain about that.

406 posts
6,287 battles

I think _You've_ not read my posts where I've acknowledged perhaps I shouldn't have been there, but if you do get in that place (by accident, stupidity or otherwise) what do you do to get out of it? I wasn't alone, you don't have to be for this to be a problem, it's good play on the enemies part that made this a problem so I'd rather not complain about that.

Take a Tot of Rum, Recite the National Anthem and charge headfirst into Glory.

334 posts
13,034 battles

Realizing that you are pretty much screwed I would advance head on to minimize target for them to shoot at keep firing and hope for hits and maybe setting them on fire by doing this they are wasting time on you and giving your team a chance to hopefully do something.  

95 posts
1,563 battles

Realizing that you are pretty much screwed I would advance head on to minimize target for them to shoot at keep firing and hope for hits and maybe setting them on fire by doing this they are wasting time on you and giving your team a chance to hopefully do something.  

yep that's what I do

Sign in to follow this