Sting_Ray_05

Tips for Phoenix play style

20 comments in this topic

350 posts

Sorry to bother anyone here in the forums, but I am really struggling with the Tier IV USN Cruiser - Phoenix. I thought that it would be like playing the Tier I - Erie with a higher top speed and torpedoes, but boy was I wrong. :fishpalm:

Any tips would be very much appreciated especially on how to use the torpedoes correctly.

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Pretty much rain HE on Battleships & US Cruisers. If you see a Japanese Cruisers (namely: Tenryuu, Kuma, & Furutaka) & maybe German Cruisers, switch to AP shell & see your shots score citadel hits.

If you spawn near where the destroyers goes (like Big Race map), be a support cruiser.

Edited by Mingfang47

350 posts

Thank you, everyone for the tips. I hope I can get to the Omaha sometime this year before finally stopping the CL climb at Tier Six - Cleveland as Pensacola and I would surely be on the outs, given how bad a player I am. :hiding:

1,065 posts
2,628 battles

Thank you, everyone for the tips. I hope I can get to the Omaha sometime this year before finally stopping the CL climb at Tier Six - Cleveland as Pensacola and I would surely be on the outs, given how bad a player I am. :hiding:

Don't worry, I was absolutely terrible in the Phoenix and grinded to the Omaha in about a day :D.

892 posts
7,853 battles

The first few times captaining a Phoenix, I share the same feeling, that she was a terrible ship to helm! But as you get acquainted with her and lavish her with upgrades, she really turns into a very fine ship.

350 posts

The first few times captaining a Phoenix, I share the same feeling, that she was a terrible ship to helm! But as you get acquainted with her and lavish her with upgrades, she really turns into a very fine ship.

Thank you for the kind words and right now, I am slowly getting used to the Phoenix's quirks. She really is a very fine ship, fast and pretty agile. I still have problems with torpedoes though.

892 posts
7,853 battles

Thank you for the kind words and right now, I am slowly getting used to the Phoenix's quirks. She really is a very fine ship, fast and pretty agile. I still have problems with torpedoes though.

​The torpedoes on the Phoenix are really a bonus to have. I usually use them in close quarters or against suspected "ambush" points. Always remember to play her as a gunboat and you'll be fine.

168 posts
5,667 battles

Hmm.  For me at least, the Phoenix was probably the best of the Tier IV cruisers.  Be thankful you're not in a Karlsruehe.

The torpedoes are secondary, it's primarily a HE shooting fire-starting gunboat.  To that end you should be taking the gunnery skills.

[_BST_]
[_BST_]
250 posts
12,839 battles

Hmm.  For me at least, the Phoenix was probably the best of the Tier IV cruisers.  Be thankful you're not in a Karlsruehe.

The torpedoes are secondary, it's primarily a HE shooting fire-starting gunboat.  To that end you should be taking the gunnery skills.

Fully upgraded, the Phoenix feels rather different to the stock version - nearly 50% faster firing and 10 instead of 6 guns. At first I had a tendency to play it like a Tenryu with disastrous consequences (as I usually have with the Tenryu & Kuma - they are not big destroyers just big targets).

The torpedoes did come in handy in a last ditch attack on a battleship; I think he forgot the Phoenix has them. Pity the mounts are on the side of the ship instead of center-lined.

I'm actually beginning to like the Karlsruhe. Maybe due to its short comings you have to play it less brashly than the Kuma or Phoenix. 

Edited by Razide

168 posts
5,667 battles

Fully upgraded, the Phoenix feels rather different to the stock version - nearly 50% faster firing and 10 instead of 6 guns. At first I had a tendency to play it like a Tenryu with disastrous consequences (as I usually have with the Tenryu & Kuma - they are not big destroyers just big targets).

The torpedoes did come in handy in a last ditch attack on a battleship; I think he forgot the Phoenix has them. Pity the mounts are on the side of the ship instead of center-lined.

I'm actually beginning to like the Karlsruhe. Maybe due to its short comings you have to play it less brashly than the Kuma or Phoenix. 

Fair  point about the upgrades.  I try not to pass comment on a ship until it has all the modules upgraded AND I get a few more battles in it to get the hang of it.

I also had similar pains with the early IJN cruisers when I thought I could play them like big DDs.  That's when I learned about detectability.

I heard the Karl finally got some minor buffs, but I had the Koenigsberg by then.  Not sure how much they help.

Anyway to the OP, the USN Cruiser line is probably the most forgiving of them all for new players, at least as far as the Cleveland (Tier 6)

580 posts
1,587 battles

Ah the Phoenix... Really good tub, I still have her... She's the first tub you'll get where switching shells matter... and her casemate guns do away with the hassles of rotating turrets... She can't take a hit tho... She's preparatory to the Omaha(another tub I love to play in) but once you get to Cleveland it's going to shock how differently they feel... Don't use her torpedoes unless you have to, the Phoenix and the Omaha carry those for defensive reasons...

[RAT]
29 posts
1,635 battles

I love my Phoenix, but then again I love my rubber dingy. all ships are good and bad, it all depends on how you are tuned into the universe when you turn your computer on.

[_BST_]
[_BST_]
250 posts
12,839 battles

I love my Phoenix, but then again I love my rubber dingy. all ships are good and bad, it all depends on how you are tuned into the universe when you turn your computer on.

Some days I just can't hit the side of a carrier !

So far I've found these IV Cruisers like the Phoenix & Karlsruhe (not so much the Kuma) lobbed into battles where the other cruisers are mostly V & VI which leaves you feeling a bit under-gunned and under protected. I suppose you have a sense of achievement surviving and/or sinking the higher tier cruisers. 

350 posts

Some days I just can't hit the side of a carrier !

So far I've found these IV Cruisers like the Phoenix & Karlsruhe (not so much the Kuma) lobbed into battles where the other cruisers are mostly V & VI which leaves you feeling a bit under-gunned and under protected. I suppose you have a sense of achievement surviving and/or sinking the higher tier cruisers. 

Actually, it was more a sigh of relief for me when I finally sunk a Kongou in grueling one on one match in the Solomon Islands map. But yeah, I get to fight Tier V and VI more than once and had to be shot at  beyond gunnery range. Sinking a Houshou from 8km did give me a sense of achievement though. 

1 post
1,672 battles

need to watch your surrounding.

yes, when you just get this ship, the 1st CA in US line that have torpedoes, you will get excited and wanted to torp enemy so much by rush forward. 

however, torpedoes not your main weapon, engage enemy at 10km away, you can rain HE to BB like no body business. do not move too forward, and attract enemy focus fire on you.

Keep an eye on enemy firing to you, at this distance, you can dodge enemy shells easily. 

you are nightmare to DD, your rapid fire gun can take down DD when they try to get close to you.

of course you also have to aware, never show broadside to BB, unless you want to let BB deal massive damage to you.

some of my result in this ship, win or lose, I still able to do some amount of damage, if you notice, i rarely launch my torpedo

shot_16_02_22_02_23_08_0903.jpg

shot_16_02_22_02_23_24_0991.jpg

shot_16_02_22_02_23_40_0685.jpg

Edited by 1a2b3c

350 posts

need to watch your surrounding.

yes, when you just get this ship, the 1st CA in US line that have torpedoes, you will get excited and wanted to torp enemy so much by rush forward. 

however, torpedoes not your main weapon, engage enemy at 10km away, you can rain HE to BB like no body business. do not move too forward, and attract enemy focus fire on you.

Keep an eye on enemy firing to you, at this distance, you can dodge enemy shells easily. 

you are nightmare to DD, your rapid fire gun can take down DD when they try to get close to you.

of course you also have to aware, never show broadside to BB, unless you want to let BB deal massive damage to you.

some of my result in this ship, win or lose, I still able to do some amount of damage, if you notice, i rarely launch my torpedo

shot_16_02_22_02_23_08_0903.jpg

shot_16_02_22_02_23_24_0991.jpg

shot_16_02_22_02_23_40_0685.jpg

Thank you very much for the advice as I did learn the lessons you have just told me and it paid off big time as I have now started my next grinding session using the Omaha.

Even then, I appreciate the advice you have given me, which would still be of much use in the Omaha as it would in the Phoenix.

P.S. I also got a torpedo kill too once in this ship, but that was just luck on my part.

Edited by Sting_Ray_05