Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Sergeant_Cynical

Langley OP

8 comments in this topic

1 post
295 battles
So i was playing a game in my Hosho(stock) and in the game start screen i compared my stats with the Langley and i saw that his Aircraft rating was only two tiers higher than mine. I thought well cant be that bad, i was wrong. I saw that his fighter squadren had way more than mine and as soon as mine ingaged his lost 3 of mine instantly. The Langley really needs to be nerfed....

101 posts
1,247 battles

Pst, hey. There is this thing called strafe run. Use it to shoot down some of his fighters before you initiate a dogfight. American fighters are meant for pushes, Japanese are for defense. Don't push unless you know you can take his fighters down, or if they are a fair's way away. Don't be /THAT/ IJN carrier guy...

I play IJN carriers as well, they are fairly balanced, as long as you play them right.

459 posts
8,260 battles

Yeah the Langley isn't really OP, it does have strong fighters but doesn't have any where near as good a set up for torpedo bombers (although they are good enough).

The Hosho has good torpedo bombers but not so great fighters in comparison. So why not play to your strengths rather then your weaknesses. Avoid their fighters, or use your fighters to distract them whilst you torpedo a ship. A good idea is to go for the langley herself as she's slow and vulnerable to air attack. Others have suggested strafing which is also a good idea, but tricky to pull off.

40 posts

Leaving aside strafing  and manual drops, which an average Langley/Hosho player don't use thanks to their inexperience on CV gameplay, it's exactly due to 99% of the players being new to then that the inbalances bettwen Hosho and Langley haven't being fleshed out. The devs tend to analize the statistical data of matches and combine that with player and supertester feedback but they give a much higher value to the statistical data. There is a complete superiority of the Langley compared to Hosho, so much that if 2 CV optimates took both ships in oponent teams the Langley would easily nullify the Hosho. There are various reasons for this.

- Ammo load of Langley's fighter. Langley's elite fighters double to ammo of Hosho's elite fighters. This allows for longer engagements, more strafing runs before running out of ammo  but above all, it gives enough time to Langley's fighters to deal with Hosho's and then strafe/attack Hosho's torpedo bombers without running out of ammunition.

- Hosho's torpedo bombers are very slow. Hell, all attack planes at those tiers are slow but every experienced IJN CV player knows that the best tactic the IJN has is strike and retreat as fast as possible. Of course an experienced enemy USN CV knows how to read a map based on the info allied ships can give her about the enemy IJN planes and cover possible aproach routes by smart positioning of its fighters. This is the beauty of fighting IJN vs USN CVs. This doesn't happen on tier IV Hosho vs Langley matches due to the small size of the maps which makes easier for Langley to reposition and react effectively to an IJN attack planes aproach. Furthermore, properly setting up a good torp run with Hosho, given the double squadron and the torp spread takes some time too, specially if the objective is manouvering to evade. All in all a Langley fighter squadron can block and/or ruin a Hosho torp run, specially if the USN player is agressive and uses its strenghts, with relative ease.

- Fighter strafe makes fighters unstopable. Meaning, they can't be engaged while performing it. Strafing also adds 15 more knots to your fighters during the move. An smart Langley player can make use of this for better positioning or bypassing the enemy fighters entirely. Given the enourmous ammo reserve Langley's fighters have a move like this isn't a problem for later when having to engage or strafe enemy planes.

- Superiority of USN fighter squadrons. We all well know the difference of 4 vs 6 that makes direct engagement of Hosho's fighters against Langley's suicide. Even if Hosho's fighters manage to perform a perfect strafe on Langley's, full 4 planes squad, Langley's squad will still survive with 2 or even 3 fighters. A good Langley captain though, will never let his fighters be perfectly strafed. What's more he can afford an imperfect strafe against Hosho's fighters for positioning purposes or simply to cripple Hosho's fighter squad capacity: a 2 plane Hosho fighter squad can deal next to no damage when strafing and will die extremely fast in a direct engagement making then ignorable

- Langley's torp bombers are easier to use than Hosho's. Nuff said.

All in all I firmly believe, as well as some of the CV optimates in the EU forum, that Langley is definetly superior to the point of unfairness compared to Hosho.

Edited by HyperDenpaChan

[151ST]
1,008 posts
4,494 battles

Leaving aside strafing  and manual drops, which an average Langley/Hosho player don't use thanks to their inexperience on CV gameplay, it's exactly due to 99% of the players being new to then that the inbalances bettwen Hosho and Langley haven't being fleshed out. The devs tend to analize the statistical data of matches and combine that with player and supertester feedback but they give a much higher value to the statistical data. There is a complete superiority of the Langley compared to Hosho, so much that if 2 CV optimates took both ships in oponent teams the Langley would easily nullify the Hosho. There are various reasons for this.

- Ammo load of Langley's fighter. Langley's elite fighters double to ammo of Hosho's elite fighters. This allows for longer engagements, more strafing runs before running out of ammo  but above all, it gives enough time to Langley's fighters to deal with Hosho's and then strafe/attack Hosho's torpedo bombers without running out of ammunition.

- Hosho's torpedo bombers are very slow. Hell, all attack planes at those tiers are slow but every experienced IJN CV player knows that the best tactic the IJN has is strike and retreat as fast as possible. Of course an experienced enemy USN CV knows how to read a map based on the info allied ships can give her about the enemy IJN planes and cover possible aproach routes by smart positioning of its fighters. This is the beauty of fighting IJN vs USN CVs. This doesn't happen on tier IV Hosho vs Langley matches due to the small size of the maps which makes easier for Langley to reposition and react effectively to an IJN attack planes aproach. Furthermore, properly setting up a good torp run with Hosho, given the double squadron and the torp spread takes some time too, specially if the objective is manouvering to evade. All in all a Langley fighter squadron can block and/or ruin a Hosho torp run, specially if the USN player is agressive and uses its strenghts, with relative ease.

- Fighter strafe makes fighters unstopable. Meaning, they can't be engaged while performing it. Strafing also adds 15 more knots to your fighters during the move. An smart Langley player can make use of this for better positioning or bypassing the enemy fighters entirely. Given the enourmous ammo reserve Langley's fighters have a move like this isn't a problem for later when having to engage or strafe enemy planes.

- Superiority of USN fighter squadrons. We all well know the difference of 4 vs 6 that makes direct engagement of Hosho's fighters against Langley's suicide. Even if Hosho's fighters manage to perform a perfect strafe on Langley's, full 4 planes squad, Langley's squad will still survive with 2 or even 3 fighters. A good Langley captain though, will never let his fighters be perfectly strafed. What's more he can afford an imperfect strafe against Hosho's fighters for positioning purposes or simply to cripple Hosho's fighter squad capacity: a 2 plane Hosho fighter squad can deal next to no damage when strafing and will die extremely fast in a direct engagement making then ignorable

- Langley's torp bombers are easier to use than Hosho's. Nuff said.

All in all I firmly believe, as well as some of the CV optimates in the EU forum, that Langley is definetly superior to the point of unfairness compared to Hosho.

This...

Even as a good Hosho player, unless you get a good strafe off a couple of times with your fighter, you get wiped.

Hosho is much more reliant on the team (and any pitiful AA you can find) whereas Langley is only bad when caught out due to low speed (shouldn't happen if you know what you are doing)

Sign in to follow this